Starting Couch to 5K (C25K) July 25th

Options

Replies

• millieb73
    millieb73 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have never run in my life until starting couch to 5 k. I did week 5 day 1 this morning! I'm doing it on treadmill, and I'm really, really slow, but I'm starting to enjoy it and I cannot believe the pride and achievement I feel! Add me if you like :)
  • Sinope82
    Sinope82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last night and i still can't believe i made it through the whole thing. I've never run before so i hope i can keep up with everyone but id love to do this with a group so feel free to add me to the list.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    What I find helps is printing out a table with stage, date and a space for comments and putting it in the wall. A reminder to you and everyone to track how you're doing.
  • JamieRena2012
    JamieRena2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    HEY GUYS, I'M GOING TO BE STARTING UP TONIGHT WITH DAY 1! PLEASE CHECK IN IF YOU WOULD LIKE SO THAT WE CAN KEEP EACH OTHER MOTIVATED!!!
  • alucido
    alucido Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Just finished Week 1 Day 1...it was great :) Can't wait to continue! Hopefully everyone is doing well with it!
  • Jadbaa
    Jadbaa Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I started on Monday. Tonight will be my second run. The first workout was pretty hard since I don't run at all! Feel free to add me so we can keep each other motivated!
  • thebzax
    thebzax Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i don't run but i'm planning on starting this in a couple of hours actually! so please feel free to add. i don't know if you in the US can get it, have a look, but on itunes there's a podcast run by the NHS healthy choices, which provides you with music/instructions, i.e. a posh british woman telling you when to run and walk! i've just put it on my ipod so i don't need to stare at timers :)
    the podcast is just called 'couch to 5k' by NHS choices and is totally free.
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I brisk walk anywhere between 3 and 5 miles a day, but just downloaded the app and it looks like it could be fun. Starting tomorrow. Will take any new friends. Love new friends
  • lindsayb0422
    Options
    I'm going to start this tomorrow too! Add me and help me be motivated!!:happy:
  • bossladyday
    bossladyday Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello all I started the program today as well :) Endomondo Running Workout http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/mDaTFqnkFAo#.UBCn-8Q11qM.tumblr I started my Couch to 5k tonight! Lets go #teamfitandsexy

I want to be added to this group because I'm on day 24 of Jillian Micheals 30 day shred and now I'm starting this... I'm going to need the motivation :)
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    What is Couch to 5K?
  • bossladyday
    bossladyday Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Also add this program to your cellphone.. you start the program and then close it so its running still and then open up your couch to 5k and it will track your distance, calories etc. http://www.endomondo.com/home

after you add it add me as your friend on there as well. This program is free as well ;)

@jrue1985 About Couch to 5K:

Its a app to help you get off the couch and start jogging :) Each session should take about 20 or 30 minutes, three times a week. That just happens to be the same amount of moderate exercise recommended by numerous studies for optimum fitness. This program will get you fit. (Runners who do more than this amount are doing it for more than fitness, and before long you might find yourself doing the same as well).

Be sure to space out these three days throughout the week to give yourself a chance to rest and recover between efforts. And don't worry about how fast you're going. Running faster can wait until your bones are stronger and your body is fitter. For now focus on gradually increasing the time or distance you run.

Run for time, or run for distance

There are two ways to follow this program, to measure your runs by time or by distance. Either one works just as well, choose the option that seems easiest for you to keep track of. If you go with the distance option, and you are not using a track to measure the distances, just estimate. It's not important to have the distances absolutely exact.

Before setting out, make sure to precede each session with a five-minute warmup walk or jog. Be sure to stretch both before and after
  • lindsayb0422
    Options
    I'm going to start this tomorrow too! Add me and help me be motivated!!:happy:
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options
    I've restarted and I'm on week 3 day 2....I completed it last year but the winter came and our winters are horrendous....So we resulted to the gym
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options
    What is Couch to 5K?

It's a program specifically to help in running a 5k especially if you have been a couch potato lol....Like me....It helps with endurance, length, etc.....The goal at the end of the program is to run for 30 min straight without stopping...They also have "Bridge to 10k" and I think they have one for marathons too.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i keep saying I'm going to do that, tomorrow sounds like a good day to start! Where can I find the program to follow?

I found an application for iTouch/iPhone/iPod on iTunes and it is called Ease into 5K by bluefin software which is very good but not free, maybe around $2.99 This app has good ratings and lets you use your music playlists from your iPod in it.

I believe there is anothe app similar to the one above by someone else and is free but don't know about it......

I also found a podcast on iTunes called NHS Couch to 5K which is "free" and like that one too but it doesn't let you use your own music and it has its own music built in......
  • jnr2012
    jnr2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can do it, just take your time and go slow. I'm in week 16 (doing iit with a friend). We've run 2 5K's and love it. Could barely run the 60 seconds the first few weeks but about week 4 or 5 it starts too get easier. We are going to run our 3rd 5K next month, we train still on M,W,F. Stay strong, you can do it.
  • PsycotikChicken
    Options
    I started c25k this summer, using the treadmill program. Most people seem to do it outside, but whichever works. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but it's doable and I love having a defined goal for a workout when it comes to cardio.

Anyway, I've stayed fairly on track, despite taking an extra rest day here and there and a surgery knocking me out of the gym for a week. I just finished W5D1 today.

I've never liked anything about running, even when I was 80 lbs lighter and playing sports. Somehow, someway, the defined goals of this program are motivating. A lot of people use it, and it's really worth giving it a shot.

Some advice on not getting hurt:
    If you aren't used to running, be weary on shin splints and joint pain. If it hurts, it's time to stop and recover. When you exercise, you're supposed to push yourself, but that doesn't mean that you should risk injury.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Im in to do this,even if it means repeating some weeks.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    What is Couch to 5K?

It is a program that's been designed to get just about anyone off the couch and running 5 kilometers or 30 minutes in just 8 or 9 weeks.