Skipping Breakfast?

Options
I skip breakfast every day because once I start eating I find it hard to stop. I typically eat lunch around 1:00 then try not to eat again until dinner then one light snack before bed. Am I doing more harm then good by doing this?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry. If you're not hungry, don't eat. It doesn't matter what time of day you eat.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    No. Do what works for you. It won't affect weight loss, as long as you stay within your calorie goal. It's a diet myth that you need breakfast.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I can't give you any advice or knowledge... but i'm this boat with you as well.
    Been really bad for that this week. Looking to see what others say.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I don't believe skipping breakfast is evil as long as you are meeting your daily intake requirements.

Some will say it kick starts your metabolism and stuff and there is truth to that I guess.

I just try to eat within 12 hours of not eating (ex. after I stop for for the evening and when I was asleep.)

I would not skip breakfast just because you find it starts the eating machine, eating is good and allowed, just make the correct choices.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I typically skip breakfast because I'm not hungry. There is no proof that the timing of meals is important for weight loss. Eat when you are hungry and don't shove in food when you're not. I usually have my first meal as lunch, so my feed window is from about 1 p.m. to 7 or 8 p.m. I've lost 113 pounds in a year and recomping of my body is coming along nicely. So it works.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    If you stop losing weight then I would suggest trying to eat breakfast, but as long as your losing I wouldn't worry about it. I believe skipping breakfast can slow your metabolism down but like I said if your still losing weight don't worry about it if not then eat it
  • drapes73
    drapes73 Posts: 8
    Options

Some will say it kick starts your metabolism and stuff and there is truth to that I guess.

There isn't any truth to that. Feel free to skip breakfast if you find it works for you.
  • txcaveman
    txcaveman Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I used to never eat breakfast... I got fat.

Now I'm trying to be healthy, the popular thinking is that "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day".

Since I'm trying to be healthier and loose weight I eat breakfast, sometimes something very small, sometimes more...

Now you tell me it's a myth! It sounds like almost every principle of weight loss is a myth.

Augh!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't believe skipping breakfast is evil as long as you are meeting your daily intake requirements.

I just try to eat within 12 hours of not eating (ex. after I stop for for the evening and when I was asleep.)

I would not skip breakfast just because you find it starts the eating machine, eating is good and allowed, just make the correct choices.

What he said!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    There are thousands of studies that say you should eat breakfast, but I agree with the other posters.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0d3icpCPg1r6bqgno1_500.png

On a serious note, I personally found eating breakfast to be very beneficial for me. Sets you up for the day and in my experience leads to eating less.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast unless I want to and I am hungry. Otherwise I wait for my body to wake up and let me know when I should eat. On that note, I do not wait until I am starving. I listen to my body. If I eat before my body is ready then I feel hungry all day long. I find I cannot control it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    If you stop losing weight then I would suggest trying to eat breakfast, but as long as your losing I wouldn't worry about it. I believe skipping breakfast can slow your metabolism down but like I said if your still losing weight don't worry about it if not then eat it

Hearing something doesn't necessarily make it true.

There are no actual studies proving this to be a fact. There are cereal companies who are very, very profitable. So there's that.
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    Breakfast or break (the) fast? It is the most important meal of the day and should include plenty of protein. When you eat hardy

early you are signalling your brain that times are good and food will be plentiful all day so your metabolism kicks into high (love

that word) gear and has no need to "store" food. You must eat to lose weight!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I am the exact opposite. I have to have breakfast or I will be miserable until lunch. This is probably because I stop eating by at least 2-3 hrs before bed. I don't have to have a lot, but I've found that foods with high protein work best FOR ME in the morning.

There are many studies that recommend eating breakfast, but it is up to you. I personally think, if you're not hungry then don't force it. But at least get your required calories in for the day with healthy foods. Nutrients are what matter here.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    I just have coffee and a 110 cal biscotti for breakfast. I have wondered why so many people are not hungry in the morning. It may be that insulin levels are low after an overnight fast and as soon as you start eating the levels rise and make you hungry. There was a carb diet that recommended eating carbs at night for weight loss, which would fit this theory. So, a low glycemic breakfast should work including protein instead of carbs to keep your blood sugars level. I did well by small portions and snacks all day, starting at noon however.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Technically, you're not "skipping" breakfast. The meal that breaks your fast is breakfast!

OK, I bet that was incredibly fastidious... but the point to make.... sounds like you practice intermittent fasting. I know that there will be a lot of conflicting information on how good/bad this practice is, but I for one think that it is good to let the body feel hungry. When I fast, my thoughts are clearer and my mood is better (after the initial shock of hunger). If this works for you, then do what works for you.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry is what I say. I'm really hungry in the morning because it's after my workout so I always eat breakfast but do what feels right for your body.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I try to eat breakfast, because I am trying to get my daughter into good habits to eat something before school and usually when i wake up I am hungry. However, when I get busy with deliveries at the end of the week I am sometimes up and out early without breakfast , though i do try and squeeze in a coffee :)
    I dont feel hungry and sometimes have been known not to eat until early afternoon but it hasnt hindered my weight loss.
    Do what feels right for you and listen to your body, you can always change things up if you want to
    good luck with your weight loss x
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I did it once and I was hateful by 11:30am. Dont force yourself to eat.