What is considered GOOD mile time?

Options
124»

Replies

• daver38
    daver38 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When I started I could only run for 90 seconds then had to walk for 2 1/2 minutes, now I'm up to around 9:30 miles but have loads of room for improvement still...
  • blackNyx
    Options
    I average 8:00 on longer runs but tend to drift towards the 8:30 and 9:00 range when I am going over 10 miles (I hope to change this within a year though). I haven't actually timed my mile recently, but I ran two miles at 14:01 a couple weeks ago. If I had to guess, I'd say my mile would be somewhere around the 6:00 minute mark.

"Good" is a relative term. If "good" is comparing to a women's varsity cross country team, then you'd want to be running a mile in under 5:00 minutes. But for many people just running a mile is an achievement. In running it is important to set your OWN "good" times and go for them!
  • rachelmaria33
    rachelmaria33 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Any time better than what you did last month and the month before and the month before :)
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am a female so what is a good mile time for a female?
    The one that you can run. Then try to beat it the next time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

:drinker:

I'm not fast compared to many people, but I'm a hell of a lot faster than I was 2 months ago when I wasn't running!
  • MariaAnt3
    Options
    The first time I ever ran an mile was 7:49 and that was when I was 12. Now my mile is 5:12 .. Just running one mile not distance. My pace is 6:10 when I'm running a 5k and I usually end with 18:27 which is my fastest. I wouldn't say I'm good ..I run like 6 miles a day with an 6:50 mile pace!! But if you run like everyday and work your way up!! You will be great!! I think 7:30 is an decent mile time for anyone .. But it's how fast you want to go!! Keep up the good work!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Are you planning to race?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you do not race 7 minutes. If you do race 6 minutes. However what really matters is that you improve over time and you only need compare your time to yourself. Competition or racing will make you faster. Tracking times may provide the motivation you need.

I'm no longer a runner.
  • socolova
    socolova Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been running for 2 months, started out run/walking and was consistently getting around a 15-16 MM with that....then I was like I can do better and that's kind of the philosophy to go with I think....my run this morning was a 10.4 MM running the whole time....my goal was 12 and I smashed it...so as long as you keep pushing and progressing then you'll be down to an 8 or 9 in no time...9 is my next goal! Good luck dear!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I ran...about 10 years ago...on a treadmill only cause I hate running outside...I set mini goals.

First it was to run 10mins...definately wasn't a mile.

Then it was to run 11, 12 etc.

As soon as I could run 15mins straight my goal was to get the distance in...at least 1 mile but I would run 15mins to get it in ...then shorten that time...

when I was done with that I was running a 6min mile...mind you I was wiped...and I never ran more than a mile...
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I am a female so what is a good mile time for a female?
    5-6 minutes is very good.
    Aim for that.