Freind request with an ED person?

Options

Replies

• Mellow_out
    Options
    It's all up to you. From the way it sounds, she believes you are a good role model and if you are eating healthy, then you are being a good role model to her. She is probably trying to recover. If I were you I would add her, but if she does constantly post negitive stuff I would delete her.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    OMG I have read eaach and every one of your replies and I am still confused lol!

So I think, I am going to add this person and see how it goes, I can only do my best right???
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    IF you are not worried about being triggered by the person with the ED, and you eat reasonably well and give good advice you sound like a perfect role model, even if the interaction is low between you you might end up demonstrating a healthy way to be.

Sure enough. I have a few friends that make me cringe at the low calories they consume but there's no danger of me being triggered unless someone brings a Reese's into the room. :smile: Just be a good role model for them and show them what healthy eating is all about.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Do you get pissed off when walking your female dog and people ask what his name is?

I kinda do, actually. She's a Great Dane. It doesn't take a lot of effort or any particular knowledge of doggie anatomy to figure out her gender.

If that's all it takes to piss you off, we should totally be friends. It'll be fun.

LOL!

It does get old. As do the jokes about putting a saddle on the thing, questions about who is walking whom, and others of the ilk. And don't even get me started on people that think it's funny/cute when their little terrors are generally being asshats towards my dog, and she'd doing her best not to sit on their heads.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    LOL!

It does get old. As do the jokes about putting a saddle on the thing, questions about who is walking whom, and others of the ilk. And don't even get me started on people that think it's funny/cute when their little terrors are generally being asshats towards my dog, and she'd doing her best not to sit on their heads.

Do you call yourself a "furmom"

respond asap this is important
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    As long as you're okay seeing low diary entries sometimes and knowing you can't personally change them, you can only help (a ton) by being a good role model, than I'd say definitely add them. Having someone who eats a healthy amount and is losing weight and/or is healthy can be incredibly encouraging and helpful for someone with an ED. You just have to understand you can only set an example, and when they're ready they can try to follow. I personally think you should add them, because it takes a lot to reach out to someone with normal eating habits and admit you struggle when your brain is telling you to eat less and less and not tell anyone about it.
  • QueenGorgo
    QueenGorgo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Why did I think that meant erectile dysfunction??
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    LOL!

Do you call yourself a "furmom"

respond asap this is important

NO! It skeeves me out no end to hear people use that sort of terminology. Or calling kids 'skin kids'. Blech!
  • themichaelf
    Options

I thought it was a guy named Ed.

totally thought he was talking about erectile disfunction... thought this guy was awfully bold!!!
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    eating disorders are a very serious topic... however when i first read the topic i read it as erectile disfunction :laugh:

Also this!

lol this! ED is the medical acronym for erectile dysfunction
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback everyone!

A littlle more information to this person is in the `profile page`

"I find beauty in bones"
    My size zero clothes are too big

I have experience in being overweight, I am an ex psychologist, I don`t know how much of that I have put across in posts but my main concern is letting someone down that has serious issues!

Also, just to clarify I never said this person was a female :-)

Hmmm and never mentioned erectile dysfunction lmao!

Since she is glorifying it I would just decline. I have struggled with anaorexia and bulimia and they are not easy things to recover from. I accept friends that are recovering but not those that are still pro-ana as I am not willing to let myself slip back into that lifestyle.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Thanks to all with your different, yet encouraging comments!

No erectile dysfunction! lmao!

But seriously thank you x
  • Kassielin13
    Kassielin13 Posts: 263
    Options
    IF you are not worried about being triggered by the person with the ED, and you eat reasonably well and give good advice you sound like a perfect role model, even if the interaction is low between you you might end up demonstrating a healthy way to be. But if you're uncomfortable with the situation just decline it.

Perfect Advice!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have no problem adding anyone who sends me a request. I do my best to be as supportive as I can be, regardless of what a person's goals or problems may be.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Off Topic: But if someone ever referred to their children as "skin kids" I'd be on the phone to CPS faster than I can drink a beer....
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    eating disorders are a very serious topic... however when i first read the topic i read it as erectile disfunction :laugh:

This

Me too! Lol

But i don't see anything wrong with adding her. She may be reaching out for help and thinks from reading your advice that you may be the one who can say the right things and give the right support to help her overcome her ED.
  • Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options

OMG!! I thought I was the only one! hahaha
  • RadiantxReality
    RadiantxReality Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the other replies, but I think you should have added her.

I have a VERY good friend with an ED. She is trying very hard to get better. BUt she can't without support. Could be possible this person was looking for support as well as advice. I don't think you should NOT accept a friend request from someone just because they have an ED. Would you do the same thing to a person with diabetes? Probably not. Give her a chance. You never know.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I don't decline them b/c I know there's no chance in heck of me being influenced by them, first and foremost. I also am not a therapist and EDs have little to do with weight and everything to do with control issues...the ED is only a symptom of something bigger! I will not praise ANYONE who is eating less that 1200 cals per day but I'm also not the food police so I don't admonish them, either. My hope is they see how much I eat, what I look like, and they will have that moment of clarity one day that will get them out of the cycle. I don't want them feeling alone but if they ask me for specific advice about their ED (if they aren't in denial about it) I will be honest but I lack the necessary degree to effectively counsel them...

^This!!!
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So you guys mean to tell me that you discuss details about what happens with your friends requests. Keep that *kitten* private and to yourselves. There is no need to discuss this in a forum. Specially a f*cking forum that is suppose to be about motivation and support.

failed_2.jpg