How do you suppress post-workout appetite?

Options
Quite often, after working out, my appetite gets a little out of control and I end up overeating. Does anyone have tips on how to control this? I don't really think I should be eating back the calories I worked off.

Replies

• beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Eat something - especially protein. I think you should eat back at least some of the calories you earned through exercise, particularly if you're feeling hungry. The long-term aim is to learn to read your body's signals to you about what it needs so that you can maintain your goal weight without having to weigh, measure and log everything you eat and do.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered how prevalent that sort of thing is. I can't say that I've ever experienced an after workout boost in appetite. I wonder if it depends on what type of workout you do? Is it more common if you lift weights as opposed to doing cardio?

Sorry, I don't have anything useful to add, but I'm just curious.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I usually down a shake directly after workout then a full meal about an hour later.

You SHOULD be hungry and eat after a workout. That's totally normal and ok.
  • angryyrobot
    angryyrobot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think eating protein is a good idea. Since I am a college student, it usually ends up being whatever I can find.

And yes, I agree with what you said was the long-term aim.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body thinks you should be eating them back?

Do you drink or eat anything before your workout that would spike your blood sugar/insulin levels?

To answer your question . . .

Nuts like unsalted raw cashews or almonds - 5 or 10 - just make me feel really good and seem to satisfy my cravings. I think it's the protein. Give me that, a spoonful of ice cream (less than a quarter cup) and some water with lemon and I feel good.
  • angryyrobot
    Options
    I've always wondered how prevalent that sort of thing is. I can't say that I've ever experienced an after workout boost in appetite. I wonder if it depends on what type of workout you do? Is it more common if you lift weights as opposed to doing cardio?

Sorry, I don't have anything useful to add, but I'm just curious.

I think that this is just how my body is. This usually happens to me after I do a cardio workout.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I do a morning spin class, I'm ravenous all day, however if I work out at night, I pretty much have to force myself to eat. Try toying around and see if there's a meal pattern/workout schedule that decreases urge to eat everything in sight.

ETA: Also, drink a LOT of water. Sometimes you think you are hungry but are actually thirsty, and that can be particularly true after a sweaty cardio session :)
  • angryyrobot
    Options
    I usually down a shake directly after workout then a full meal about an hour later.

You SHOULD be hungry and eat after a workout. That's totally normal and ok.

A friend of mine has recommended shakes. Thank you!
  • angryyrobot
    Options
    I've found that if I do a morning spin class, I'm ravenous all day, however if I work out at night, I pretty much have to force myself to eat. Try toying around and see if there's a meal pattern/workout schedule that decreases urge to eat everything in sight.

Thanks, I usually work out at night and am starving by then. I will try morning workouts.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i eat. if u dont eat within a certain amount of time post-workout, consider your time wasted. refuel your body
  • angryyrobot
    Options
    Maybe your body thinks you should be eating them back?

Do you drink or eat anything before your workout that would spike your blood sugar/insulin levels?

To answer your question . . .

Nuts like unsalted raw cashews or almonds - 5 or 10 - just make me feel really good and seem to satisfy my cravings. I think it's the protein. Give me that, a spoonful of ice cream (less than a quarter cup) and some water with lemon and I feel good.

thanks for the tip!
  • marinesweetheart
    marinesweetheart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I usually work out before dinner and eat right after I shower and change. It kind of sucks sometimes though because I work out at home and I have to be smelling my dinner cooking in the oven/crockpot as I'm working out. It's torture lol
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    A. If your set up to lose weight, your calorie deficit is already built in. This means that you should eat the calories that you burn from exercise.

B. I've always found a good protein shake with real sugar, not artificial sweetener, helps. I don't feel absolutely ravenous if I have one immediately after working out.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    i eat. if u dont eat within a certain amount of time post-workout, consider your time wasted. refuel your body

This is not true.

OP, as others have said, eat something high in protein.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Time wasted? Why is that?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I usually work out at night and am starving by then. I will try morning workouts.

I do strength training at night. After my workout I have a protein shake, take a shower, and go to sleep. No craving problems at all when you're sleeping.
  • angryyrobot
    Options
    i'm surprised so many people responded. thank you for helpful advice :)
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    WATER WATER WATER AND ROUTINE!! If I guzzle a big glass of water then take a shower if I need it that usually sets me straight. =) I also cook my breakfast every morning (I eat 1/2 c of yogurt while I wait for my eggs to poach, coffee to brew, and bread to toast). This process works well for me, and usually my brain & stomach are on the same page by the end of breakfast.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I do a shake -

3 cups baby spinach
    2 TBS PB2
    2 cups vanilla almond unsweetened milk
    2 truvia/stevia packets

Sometimes I add 1 TBS cocoa powder

ice

blend

Sooo yummy and def. takes care of the hunger

If it's a weight lifting day, I'll add protein powder
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I generally plan my workouts to end just prior to a normal meal, and then eat my normal meal after the workout. I personally don't feel hungry after working out at all, it just happens to be the times that are convenient for me to exercise.