bacon and calories...

Options
13»

Replies

• alsaxon
    alsaxon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    honestly I don't even think two slices a day would hurt as long as the rest of the diet for the day is okay.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    you can bake it =)
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The healthiest way to eat bacon is about once a month. :-)

but the BEST way to eat bacon is about consistency... constantly eating bacon.

I just added three slices to my salad for tomorrow. Why? Because it's ****ing bacon, that's why.
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Healthiest way to eat bacon... really... really...

With your mouth I would assume
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Healthiest way to eat bacon... really... really...

A couple of slices of bacon does not an Epic Meal Time make.
  • Stinkytoe
    Options
    It is interesting how no one seems to care about their cholesterol intake when they yammer on about bacon and eggs slathered in animal fats.

.. but, I guess they have pills for that, right? ;)
    That sure is healthy.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    It is interesting how no one seems to care about their cholesterol intake when they yammer on about bacon and eggs slathered in animal fats.

That sure is healthy.

Thats because you have to be totally uneducated about your body to think that cholesterol intake consumed is proportional to bloodstream cholesterol levels.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    lol at all the "bacon is unhealthy" posts.

I like it best baked in the oven, but that takes longer.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options

That sure is healthy.

Thats because you have to be totally uneducated about your body to think that cholesterol intake consumed is proportional to bloodstream cholesterol levels.

+1
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    bacon gets a bad wrap. Is it because people normally have 3 or 4 slices? It's not really that bad if you eat just two slices, it's low cal. Fat is high but again if you only eat two slices you are good if the rest of your day is good as well. If it helps I get the center cut bacon so that is about 30% lower in fat I believe.
    Whats interesting about bacon is it depends very much on not just how you cook it, but how long and what you put it on.
    for example, if you cook it until its very hard, brittle, shrunken, and blot it totally dry with paper towels... it has very very little fat, a ton of protein, and is easily considered a low calorie food.
    On the otherhand, if you bearly cook it, leave it dripping in grease and put it in your mouth, its extremely high calorie.

Fats and oils are the most calorie dense form of food... and raw bacon is full of it... but you can easily control how much is left in the final bacon you eat.... so while its high calorie for someone, it can be low calorie protein for someone else. all that said, I mix my chewy and crunchy bacon, and call it 35 a slice. LOL
  • nlromer
    nlromer Posts: 1
    Options
    I have 2 slices of bacon (wrapped in paper towel and microwaved) every morning with 2 eggs and lost 66 lbs in the last 11 months
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Bacon fat is incredibly healthy. I'm saddened by all these suggestions for ways to get rid of it. Why would you want to do that?
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Bacon fat is incredibly healthy. I'm saddened by all these suggestions for ways to get rid of it. Why would you want to do that?

I'm assuming because we're on a limited calorie budget and the less it is, the more you can eat. If I had my way, 80% of my calories would probably come from fat. But I'd starve.
  • cardguys3
    cardguys3 Posts: 1
    Options
    As a biochemist I feel compelled to chime in. The way C/calories are measured is via a bomb calorimeter. They work by detecting the temperature change of water caused by the combustion of anything in the submerged canister. If burnt bacon is added to the canister and then combusted, it will give off SIGNIFICANTLY less heat to the surrounding environment (water) than say uncooked bacon would. Therefore consuming burnt foods is calorically better for you. In that same breath, it is imperative to note that I am not advocating the consumption of such burnt items, but rather merely remarking on the caloric benefits. Studies have shown that consumption of large amounts of heavily oxidized (burnt) foods has a proclivity to a greater incidence of certain cancers. -Mark
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Of course, the simple answer is to just use the numbers on the package. Everything is going to be a guess anyway.

As an experiment, to see how close the guess was, I cooked some bacon (measured raw), and subtracted the fat I drained.

Raw bacon: 106g (3 slices) ... 485 calories
    Drained fat: 26g (some left in pan that I cooked with later) .. -236 calories.

Total: 249 calories / 3 = 83 calories a slice.

The package says 50 calories a slice. But, I like my bacon a little chewy and I kept some of the grease in the pan to cook my eggs in. So, it's really close enough. Even if every drop I didn't drain was kept in the bacon (clearly not true), this would only be an extra 99 calories. Sure, that can add up. But, it's not enough to stress over. And, in practice, the difference will be less than that because you're not going to be consuming all the stuff left in the pan, paper towels, etc.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options
    Eat regular bacon. Center cut is best. Most turkey bacons are full of junk and are really just a chemistry project.

Center cut bacon! Exactly. 3 slices, pan fried baby!
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Try turkey bacon? :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options
    Try turkey bacon? :)

Turkey bacon is interesting, and I will occasionally eat it with my mom, but it doesn't taste like bacon bacon. And the taste of bacon bacon is better than almost anything else.
  • jellybeansmamma
    jellybeansmamma Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    mmm bacon..... I just polished off 3 slices with scrambled eggs and mushrooms cooked in bacon grease :) One of these days, I WILL taste tactical bacon! My hubby thinks it sounds horrible, but to me it sounds like heaven!