Options
I was really surprised by some of these! So I thought I better share:

http://www.prevention.com/7foodsthatshouldnever/index.shtml

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    canned tomatoes - jeez how do I make salsa - I don't think I've seen tomatoes in a jar.
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    canned tomatoes - jeez how do I make salsa - I don't think I've seen tomatoes in a jar.

Yea thats the one I had most trouble with too! I used a lotta diced tomatoes to make pasta sauce and such ....which yes I could just chop tomatoes but it's so much more work! Oh well I guess I just have to give in and do it.:flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any raw tomatoes....I guess I'll have to can my own in jars next summer.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    bump to read later Thanks!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I freeze tomatoes from the summer garden to use during cooler months...guess, next year I'll have to plant a few more

Didn't know about the microwave popcorn either...my kids eat it all the time.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    We stopped using any canned tomatoes when I saw the sodium in it. Bad for high BP. Things seem to taste better now too.
  • YourCatalyst429
    Options
    Didn't know about the microwave popcorn either...my kids eat it all the time.

Yea I'm really glad we switched to the stove top kind purely because its cheaper
  • silvertears
    silvertears Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    :noway:

Not buying canned tomatoes is the toughest for me. Popcorn is the toughest for my kids...
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Wow. I also LOVE microwave popcorn, I don't know about giving that one up.

They say, at some point, a study will show that everything is bad for you, then they will likely change their mind later... good example - eggs. But information is soooo valuable when making a decision about what you are going to put in you.
  • YourCatalyst429
    Options
    Wow. I also LOVE microwave popcorn, I don't know about giving that one up.

They say, at some point, a study will show that everything is bad for you, then they will likely change their mind later... good example - eggs. But information is soooo valuable when making a decision about what you are going to put in you.

I agree with the everything is bad for you thing....as far as nutrition goes I stay away from the obvious bad stuff but with these I thought it was much different because its chemicals coming from the packaging not from the food...so esentially the food is pretty good for you just not what they put it in.:flowerforyou:
  • kimberjones
    Options
    bump for reference later

:flowerforyou:
  • liz72
    liz72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    We recently bought a hot air popper to make popcorn. It is easy and just as fast, if not faster than making it in the microwave. No mess to clean up. Not to mention, the popcorn tastes better. My husband who hardly ever ate popcorn will make it frequently now. So I highly recommend it.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    We recently bought a hot air popper to make popcorn. It is easy and just as fast, if not faster than making it in the microwave. No mess to clean up. Not to mention, the popcorn tastes better. My husband who hardly ever ate popcorn will make it frequently now. So I highly recommend it.

Yep, we always make ours in the air popper too! My kids love it!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Saving to read later...
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    OMG I am definitely buying an air popper! We used to have one when I was little. Popcorn is like my favorite snack!! Do you think you can buy them online at Kohl's or Target?
  • YourCatalyst429
    Options
    OMG I am definitely buying an air popper! We used to have one when I was little. Popcorn is like my favorite snack!! Do you think you can buy them online at Kohl's or Target?

I don't know for sure but I would assume Target would have them...they have everything ahaha:flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Diced tomatoes are easy. Just dice them yourself. It takes 2 minutes with a good knife, and the flavor is better. Plus you don't get all of the sodium. On top of that, it's markedly cheaper. Almost all of the tomato products you can make on your own with a slow cooker.

If you have to buy them prepackaged, you can usually find glass jars in Italian markets.

As for apples, just buy from a local orchard - almost anywhere you are, I guarantee there is one near by.
  • TJFreeman
    Options
    Holy cow! When I think of all of the canned tomatoes and microwave popcorn I have eaten since I became an adult, and all the reproductive and infertility problems I have had resulting in me never having any children... :noway:
  • liz72
    liz72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I just looked, and Target does have one you can order online. That's the one we use, and it's very nice. Even has an insert on top to melt butter while it's popping. :bigsmile:
  • stephcheers
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
    I always burn microwave popcorn anyway so I stopped buying it years ago. :laugh: