7 Food That Should NEVER Cross Your Lips

Options
2»

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    OMG I am definitely buying an air popper! We used to have one when I was little. Popcorn is like my favorite snack!! Do you think you can buy them online at Kohl's or Target?

I just looked, and Target does have one you can order online. That's the one we use, and it's very nice. Even has an insert on top to melt butter while it's popping. :bigsmile:
    I will have to check this one out, I like a little butter or I should say butter on it. I use to have a air popper but that was probably 20 yrs ago and i'm sure things have gotten better! As for tomatoes I grow my garden so my tomatoes are never in a can, I make my salsa too! But there are a TON of things I eat that should not pass anybody's lips! Here's to a healthier life my fitness pals!!!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I had heard about the milk with hormones a long time ago. As long as I could I bought fresh milk from a dairy that was only pasturized.

The hormones in the milk causes reproductive issues for girls and women. To actually say exactly what might be TMI. It also may be linked to the increase in certain birth defects.

We drink fresh goat's milk when we can get it around here.

Being Italian, I don't think I could give up canned tomatoes all though I will try to start from whole tomatoes when I can from now on.

Thanks for the link. It was very interesting.

JAM
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i just bought and air popper =] melt SmartButter on it! yummy!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Wow. I also LOVE microwave popcorn, I don't know about giving that one up.

They say, at some point, a study will show that everything is bad for you, then they will likely change their mind later... good example - eggs. But information is soooo valuable when making a decision about what you are going to put in you.

Regular, store bought eggs where the chickens are fed grains are not good for you.

In order for eggs to be good for you, they have to be cage free and free range chickens that are grazing a vegetarian diet (grass and such) and allowed to eat bugs and such...............
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Wow. I also LOVE microwave popcorn, I don't know about giving that one up.

They say, at some point, a study will show that everything is bad for you, then they will likely change their mind later... good example - eggs. But information is soooo valuable when making a decision about what you are going to put in you.

Regular, store bought eggs where the chickens are fed grains are not good for you.

In order for eggs to be good for you, they have to be cage free and free range chickens that are grazing a vegetarian diet (grass and such) and allowed to eat bugs and such...............

And this is based off of what?
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    i just bought and air popper =] melt SmartButter on it! yummy!

I bought mine too, I can't wait for it to get here! :bigsmile:
  • liz72
    liz72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Yep! I just found that out about 2 months ago. Finally found some free range eggs at my local farmer's market. They do taste somewhat different.
  • Angelface28
    Angelface28 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I completely agree. I've been a vegetarian for 2 yrs now and last year I switched to cage free, free range eggs after I read numerous articles about the disgusting and unnatural things they feed to chickens.

Thanks for the article it was very interesting. I knew about the meat and milk but I love microwave popcorn! lol And Im going to start buying organic potatoes and apples.

Thanks! :)

Also Where did you guys buy your air poppers? Just wondering. I think I'll prob check Target or order one online.
  • Angelface28
    Angelface28 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    And this is based off of what?

Here's an article that explores many aspects of the different kinds of eggs and the treatment the hens received. It lists it's sources. To me it makes sense, Healthier Hens produce Healthier eggs. But even cage free or free range hens dont walk around outside but are locked in disgusting sheds majority of the time. I may have to switch to egg free subsitutes...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1594/is_3_14/ai_101763358/pg_2/?tag=content;col1
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I don't eat eggs very often... but I've been debating the idea of buying a chicken and letting it live in my backyard for those times I want some eggs. lol Kinda sounds silly, but at least I'll know what its eating.
    Even if its free range or cage free eating grass.... you never know, that grass could have pesticides or weed killer or other nasty chemicals in it that now the chicken is eating.

I wish I had a giant farm... these thoughts creep me out. :laugh:
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    I base the eggs off of these simple observations...and yes, I have actually spent some hard time at a commercial chicken farm. One of my friends owns one, actually. I don't have anything against the eggs and will eat them in restaurants and the homes of others, HOWEVER, my taste buds say "ha...these aren't as good, dude" (much to the immediate chagrin of my friend the chicken farmer who insists THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE...psssyah right)

1. Store bought eggs have a very light yellow yolk and less flavor. Shells are thin, easy to crack. Living condition of hens is that close to a factory. The hen may be protected from predators, but could also be in a very cramped quarter and prone to disease...unless there is the aid of antibiotic introduced in the feed. Eggs are sorted by some complicated (and pretty awesome) sorters, washers and the like. That's a one-up over the unclassified sorts, I suppose.

2. Eggs from the local farm free range, that is (free range: i.e. chickens are not fed some b/s "VEGETARIAN" soy diet and eat bugs and generally whatever the hell is laying about, this may include some small corn grains, but generally not a specialized soy feed AND chickens have some space to run about)... Eggs have a dark, vibrant flavorful yolk and have a nice, hard shell. These are typically sold as "Unclassified" and vary in shades of white, beige, brown (or even green!) shells. This shows a variety of hen types laid the eggs.

As for Omega 3 content and general nutrition of the eggs, I've read the cage free, free range variety contain a higher index of Omega 3. If the rich yolk is any indication, well then, I do certainly believe it.

Also keep in mind that different breeds of hens lay a different variety of eggs. Factory hens are bred to a specific lifespan and size, whereas free rangers can be of a more "fancy" (brown) variety.
  • tabbi187
    Options
    does that include rotel? dang lol.

thank you.. I would have never known
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I base the eggs off of these simple observations...and yes, I have actually spent some hard time at a commercial chicken farm. One of my friends owns one, actually. I don't have anything against the eggs and will eat them in restaurants and the homes of others, HOWEVER, my taste buds say "ha...these aren't as good, dude" (much to the immediate chagrin of my friend the chicken farmer who insists THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE...psssyah right)

1. Store bought eggs have a very light yellow yolk and less flavor. Shells are thin, easy to crack. Living condition of hens is that close to a factory. The hen may be protected from predators, but could also be in a very cramped quarter and prone to disease...unless there is the aid of antibiotic introduced in the feed. Eggs are sorted by some complicated (and pretty awesome) sorters, washers and the like. That's a one-up over the unclassified sorts, I suppose.

2. Eggs from the local farm free range, that is (free range: i.e. chickens are not fed some b/s "VEGETARIAN" soy diet and eat bugs and generally whatever the hell is laying about, this may include some small corn grains, but generally not a specialized soy feed AND chickens have some space to run about)... Eggs have a dark, vibrant flavorful yolk and have a nice, hard shell. These are typically sold as "Unclassified" and vary in shades of white, beige, brown (or even green!) shells. This shows a variety of hen types laid the eggs.

As for Omega 3 content and general nutrition of the eggs, I've read the cage free, free range variety contain a higher index of Omega 3. If the rich yolk is any indication, well then, I do certainly believe it.

Also keep in mind that different breeds of hens lay a different variety of eggs. Factory hens are bred to a specific lifespan and size, whereas free rangers can be of a more "fancy" (brown) variety.

Thanks for this. I was going to post something similar yesterday, but called off to do some work on an emergency and never logged back in to respond.
  • liz72
    liz72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Also Where did you guys buy your air poppers? Just wondering. I think I'll prob check Target or order one online.

You should be able to get air poppers at any of the superstores (walmart, target, etc.). They'd be in with small appliances.