Sugar in diet

Glad I added sugar to my food diary chart so I can see how much sugar is in the foods I eat! Sugar is bad bad for you and now I know why I got on the scale yesterday and gained a pound. What I thought was healthy for me (fruit) is high in sugar which is bad for you...I always heard grapes were the best fruit to eat because they were good for your metabolism but high in sugar!! Im over by 43 g of sugar today!! Yikes... I wont make the same mistake tomorrow...:) Just a fyi.. Everyone I talked to said they lost the most weight when they cut out sugar from their diet..natural or otherwise..you might want to add sugar to your food diary...

Replies

• gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    i don't worry about fructose. It doesn't hit you the same way processed sugar does. At least that's what I believe from anything I learned in college ( Fitness and Nutrition) or have read since. My thoughts only : )
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Sugars found naturally are WAY better than those found in most processed foods.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    All the sugar in my diet comes from fruit, 100%. I don't track it and I don't worry about it.

Edit: Actually there's a little sugar in bread and a few other things, but I still don't bother tracking it since I don't eat any sweets or add sugar to anything.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    I've been over my sugar by 100 grams before and haven't gained. I don't pay attention to sugar. 98.99% of the sugar in my diet is from fruit. I only really watch white processed sugar.

Not saying you shouldn't watch yours, different macros effect people differently.
  • Sappy320
    Sappy320 Posts: 77 Member
    well sugar is not great for you but natural sugar is okay. the real thing that makes you gain weight is carbs that comes from sugar in bread, cookies, rice, etc. so some natural sugar is not what made you gain weight. in addition, if you gained one pound in a day from fruit, it is probably not likely because your body weight fluctuates day to day normally. I wouldnt worry about it.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    My daily allowance as per MFP for sugar is 34. Today my foods added up to 104! Huge difference. Yet, I had no candy, soda, chocolate, fast food, etc. The 104 came from eating a small yam, green beans, homemade tomato basil soup, one small Greek yogurt, 1/4 of milk, 2 cups of cherries and I think 1/2 cup of low fat ricotta.

My daily calorie allowance reached about 1217 and I'm not done eating for today.

I know sugar is sugar but maybe it depends on which foods you are getting it from.

Edit: Also had two cups of frozen grapes for dessert.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Can anyone that is making the distinction between "natural" sugars and "processed"/"refined" sugars, tell me how they are different metabolically speaking?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Why is sugar bad for you? Body's natural energy source.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Can anyone that is making the distinction between "natural" sugars and "processed"/"refined" sugars, tell me how they are different metabolically speaking?

I was waiting for you to pop into this thread!! I've been giggling over here after reading all this nonsense lol
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    What's hilarious is how people immediately jump on the fructose train when somebody mentions fruit, when really, sucrose is the most common sugar in most fruits.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Your body will process different sugars faster or slower and that makes a difference. "Sugar is sugar" is a marketing ploy created by the makers of high fructose corn syrup which has many detrimental health effects. The sugar in fruit is combined with fiber, so your body processes it more slowly (less of a rush of sugar and insulin spike). And also there are different kinds of sugars that require different enzymes to break down (some processed sugars in our current diets are not properly broken down by our enzymes). There is a difference between a natural piece of fruit and a highly processed sugar. It is better to choose fruits that are lower in sugar. Most pieces of fruit will also have less sugar than a candy bar. The fruit also has nutritional value (in moderation). It is different for someone that has diabetes, and must restrict sugar. It's been a while since I was studying biology in college, so feel free to do some research or ask a biologist. I can't bore my biologist friends with this question. My husband is a physicist, so yes, science is a big part of my life. But, I don't care what other people eat. Just answering a question in the comment thread. And I can't answer specifically to weight loss. I've never thought about food in terms of weight loss because I've never had to lose weight. I also eat fruit everyday.
  • sharonloraine
    sharonloraine Posts: 69 Member
    bump
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member
    I don't always eat breakfast, but when I do it looks like this.

sugar_cheerios_lo.jpg
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Before you write off fruit including grapes, you should go to nutrition data and look up some fruits and see how good they are for you. You should have two fruits a day in order to fight off cancer, diabetes, and high blood pressure.

Don't fret over the sugar levels MFP has unless you are eating alot of cookies, cakes,and other things containing table sugar, like soda, which you are right, soda is the devil !!!!
  • no carbs, no fat, no sugar......
    sometimes all the stuff I hear makes me want to just eat chicken breast for every meal for the next 20 years
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member
    no carbs, no fat, no sugar......
    sometimes all the stuff I hear makes me want to just eat chicken breast for every meal for the next 20 years

Don't do that. We all know excess protein turns to fat.:laugh:
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,252 Member
    Thanks for all the input... I won't worry about it...I usually have fruit for a snack so Ill just continue to do so...Im just surprised at all the other things that have sugar in them...Pretzels? Kinda interesting though..

Just a remark..I dont think any of these comments are "nonsense"...thats why you have these message boards..to help one another ... and not to call names...Thanks all.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Your problem could be the oatmeal diet you say that you are on in your diary. You should not be eating oatmeal only. You need a variety of foods to get all the nutrients you need. Check out the diaries of some of the people here and see if that gives you some ideas. You might also want to visit with a nutrionist because you could seriously be in a shortage of some things after eating oatmeal only for any length of time. At 63, that's not something to fool with.

Just worried for you!

Ruth
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Sugar did not make you gain weight. The human body can fluctuate day to day by up to five pounds. It all depends on water retention, what your organs are doing etc. I've known people to break through a plateau cutting sugar but it is not necessary for weight loss.

Read this: http://www.drbillofhealth.com/nutrition/is-sugar-bad-for-you-sifting-through-the-sugar-wars/
  • vampi2u
    vampi2u Posts: 1 Member
    ive been wondering about this cause I eat alot of fruit and and when i track it by the end of the day im way above what im suppose to be at but its pretty much all comes from the fruit i eat so should i be cutting back on fruit?