Sugar in diet

Options

Replies

• Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    What's hilarious is how people immediately jump on the fructose train when somebody mentions fruit, when really, sucrose is the most common sugar in most fruits.

Where did you get this info? Fructose is the most common sugar in fruits....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Your body will process different sugars faster or slower and that makes a difference. "Sugar is sugar" is a marketing ploy created by the makers of high fructose corn syrup which has many detrimental health effects. The sugar in fruit is combined with fiber, so your body processes it more slowly (less of a rush of sugar and insulin spike). And also there are different kinds of sugars that require different enzymes to break down (some processed sugars in our current diets are not properly broken down by our enzymes). There is a difference between a natural piece of fruit and a highly processed sugar. It is better to choose fruits that are lower in sugar. Most pieces of fruit will also have less sugar than a candy bar. The fruit also has nutritional value (in moderation). It is different for someone that has diabetes, and must restrict sugar. It's been a while since I was studying biology in college, so feel free to do some research or ask a biologist. I can't bore my biologist friends with this question. My husband is a physicist, so yes, science is a big part of my life. But, I don't care what other people eat. Just answering a question in the comment thread. And I can't answer specifically to weight loss. I've never thought about food in terms of weight loss because I've never had to lose weight. I also eat fruit everyday.

****THANKS FOR THE EXPLANATION...APPRECIATE IT! ***
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    The amount of misinformation in this thread is epic :-)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you.please don't give out bad advice when you have no clue what you are talking about!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Your body will process different sugars faster or slower and that makes a difference. "Sugar is sugar" is a marketing ploy created by the makers of high fructose corn syrup which has many detrimental health effects. The sugar in fruit is combined with fiber, so your body processes it more slowly (less of a rush of sugar and insulin spike). And also there are different kinds of sugars that require different enzymes to break down (some processed sugars in our current diets are not properly broken down by our enzymes). There is a difference between a natural piece of fruit and a highly processed sugar. It is better to choose fruits that are lower in sugar. Most pieces of fruit will also have less sugar than a candy bar. The fruit also has nutritional value (in moderation). It is different for someone that has diabetes, and must restrict sugar. It's been a while since I was studying biology in college, so feel free to do some research or ask a biologist. I can't bore my biologist friends with this question. My husband is a physicist, so yes, science is a big part of my life. But, I don't care what other people eat. Just answering a question in the comment thread. And I can't answer specifically to weight loss. I've never thought about food in terms of weight loss because I've never had to lose weight. I also eat fruit everyday.

The human body doesn't recognize source. It recognizes sugar molecules. Sucrose, glucose, fructose, maltose, lactose, galactose, dextrose, etc, are all processed identically, regardless of source.
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Your problem could be the oatmeal diet you say that you are on in your diary. You should not be eating oatmeal only. You need a variety of foods to get all the nutrients you need. Check out the diaries of some of the people here and see if that gives you some ideas. You might also want to visit with a nutrionist because you could seriously be in a shortage of some things after eating oatmeal only for any length of time. At 63, that's not something to fool with.

Just worried for you!

Ruth

****thanks ruth...I just have oatmeal in the morning...I have regular meals now for lunch and dinner...but thanks for the concern :)
  • tigersword
    Options
    What's hilarious is how people immediately jump on the fructose train when somebody mentions fruit, when really, sucrose is the most common sugar in most fruits.

Did you actually read that article? The majority of the few fruits listed in that table had more sucrose than fructose. Most fruits do.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input... I won't worry about it...I usually have fruit for a snack so Ill just continue to do so...Im just surprised at all the other things that have sugar in them...Pretzels? Kinda interesting though..

Just a remark..I dont think any of these comments are "nonsense"...thats why you have these message boards..to help one another ... and not to call names...Thanks all.

It's nonsense when people give out their OPINION on something, when they actually have no idea what the hell they are talking about.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Did you actually read that article? The majority of the few fruits listed in that table had more sucrose than fructose. Most fruits do.

Yes, of course I read it. Along with dozens of others. Fructose is 'fruit sugar' and sucrose is best known as table sugar. Regardless, fruit is not bad for you....and your body does use the different sugars differently.
  • tigersword
    Options

Yes, of course I read it. Along with dozens of others. Fructose is 'fruit sugar' and sucrose is best known as table sugar. Regardless, fruit is not bad for you....and your body does use the different sugars differently.
    Fructose was named "fruit sugar" and sucrose was named "table sugar." Their common names have absolutely nothing to do with where they are found in nature. Gram for gram, you'll find far more fructose in honey than you will in fruit. And long before "table sugar," sucrose was called "beet sugar," because that's where they got it from. Beets.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Wow, all we need now are the low-carb fanatics and we will have collected ALL the carb fail in one thread.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    if sugar is bad for you ... why does your brain run on sugar?
  • tigersword
    Options
    Because your brain is bad for you.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    ive been wondering about this cause I eat alot of fruit and and when i track it by the end of the day im way above what im suppose to be at but its pretty much all comes from the fruit i eat so should i be cutting back on fruit?

unless you are diabetic, I wouldn't even track sugar. I don't. don't track sodium either, for that matter. track your carbs -- they are broken down into sugar anyway.

(and the body uses sugar for fuel. so, I promise, it's ok.)
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    Because your brain is bad for you.

gotcha. so that would mean we shouldn't fuel our bodies for extreme exertion, either ... so ... exercise is bad for you, too, right?
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    I don't think people get fat from eating fruit. Weight Watchers doesn't even count fruit.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i try n buy sugar free or no sugar added items...other than that i dont worry bout my sugar much
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I've been over my sugar by 100 grams before and haven't gained. I don't pay attention to sugar. 98.99% of the sugar in my diet is from fruit. I only really watch white processed sugar.

Not saying you shouldn't watch yours, different macros effect people differently.

^ Agree 100% I was worried about my sugars all the time but eh, I am well below diabetic threshold - doctor said I am in healthy norm and I had actually dropped quite a bit with sugar - I go over daily with just two or three pieces of fruit and a protein bar -

Ill sweat it if I stop losing or if my blood sugar goes up but right now I can care less. I am even thinking of removing it from my tracking.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    no carbs, no fat, no sugar......
    sometimes all the stuff I hear makes me want to just eat chicken breast for every meal for the next 20 years

Don't do that. We all know excess protein turns to fat.:laugh:

Is that true? I always thought the more protein, the better (even though I'm not on a low carb diet)
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    hmmmm... idk I like fruit and its natural.. and if you have small sercvings like bluerries (tons of antioxidants) and other such fruits.. half an apple.. im trying to loose wt AND be healthy and natural energy too.. esp since im working out at least ONCE a day!... im hitting all areas.. fruits/veg/protein.. natural carbs.. and a smart portion of something.. hmmm