Had to defend my excercises at the gym....I hope I was right

Options

Replies

• jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    maybe he likes u & talking @ fitness is the only way he feels comfortable w u yet
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    I can't tell what his real intentions are but he sounds like an idiot. Don't let any one else make you doubt yourself. You seem to have a much better grasp of lifting than most and you are spot on for incorporating compound lifts like the deadlift. Personally I would never think TWICE about anything anyone said who doesn't Deadlift and Squat. But maybe I'm just a powerlifting snob :P
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he just wanted to know if you really knew your stuff. He sounds like he may be into you, imo.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    its unfortunate that so many men think like this. they only want to work out the "muscles you can see." i love dead lift days (squat days, not so much, but i do them). i feel that a building must have a good foundation. and my abs look amazing after dead lift day. and therefore i love working out my legs.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    I think he might be using the conversation as a way of getting to know you. He wants to know why your working out and is curious, but he doesn't think what your doing is right. Even though he may not think your doing it right, from what you said, it doesn't sound like he's said your doing it wrong, or helped you in anyway to change it to make it better. Though there is that one where he did state that your back looks strained, or whatever it was that was said, so maybe he is interested in YOU and wants to make sure you aren't hurting yourself. You should ask him why he's so curious in your workout.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you have impressed him and maybe because you're a girl, he's surprised at how much you're unknowingly teaching him. :flowerforyou:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would just straight up put my ear buds in and ignore him.

But I'm not very friendly.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You're right. He is wrong.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I'm not a powerlifter-- but squats and deads are staples in my workouts-- for the the reasons you mention-- I will always mix in some iso excercises because I have chicken pecs, arms and legs ATM--

i don't do any iso exercises, and i have a glorious man cleavage going on. push ups are a staple of a chest. barbell press and DB press are excellent too. for the DB press, squeeze your chest together at the top of the movement, as if you were trying to crack a walnut in between your pecs.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The rationale behind your workout is sound. Turn the iPod up and tune him out.

BTW - excellent before and after Christmas photos, good work!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    He likes you and is trying to impress you with his vast knowledge of workout techniques. He is making conversation with you. Unless the dude is just giddy with excitement because he has learned just enough to be dangerous as a gym instructor then he just fancies you.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You can definitely SEE The muscles you build doing compound exercises. My *kitten* is awesome (if I do say so myself) thanks to squats and deadlifts. My shoulders and arms are all bench, overhead, and shoulder press. What a weird guy!
  • terpsoccer
    terpsoccer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Clearly you are on the right path. You are right for all the reasons you mentioned. keep it up!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you have impressed him and maybe because you're a girl, he's surprised at how much you're unknowingly teaching him. :flowerforyou:

Could be, I guess. Although, before now, I would never have considered that. He was there the first time the trainer helped me. And then, he was there on Monday when the trainer came over to ask me how it was going and to see if I wanted any help. So maybe that is it. It's actually really flattering to think that. Never in a million years.....
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Lots of people are afraid of deadlifts, squats, cleans, etc. They think that (A) they're just for power lifters, and (B) they're dangerous. I remember about 10 years ago I was one of them.

I'm betting this guy is just not educated. He's learned this and that over the years, maybe has a subscription to Muscle & Fitness, and goes by that. But he hasn't done any real research. His interest in what you're doing might be that little voice in the back of his head, whispering "maybe I need to start doing those..."

Recommend to him the book "Starting Strength." It's cheap, a fantastic book, and will tell him everything he could ever want to know about the full body movements.

Good luck!

PS: I'm picking up my squat rack on Friday!! Deads and squats in the comfort of my own garage!
  • tolygal
    Options
    BTW - excellent before and after Christmas photos, good work!

Thank you!!! :happy:
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but when reading your story I picture a big older (maybe late 40's mid 50's) Russian man! :laugh:
    Anyway, from the way you described it, he sounds genuinely interested in the way that you are working out. Maybe he's noticed a difference in your shape or muscles, but doesn't want to come across as asking for advise?
  • tolygal
    Options
    PS: I'm picking up my squat rack on Friday!! Deads and squats in the comfort of my own garage!

I'm so jealous!!!! Some day I will have one too!!
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

I'm so jealous!!!! Some day I will have one too!!

Craigs list, $300 for a rack, a nice bench, an olympic bar, and a bunch of plates. Can't go wrong with that!!
  • rgoetz2
    rgoetz2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Building lean muscle actually helps you burn more net calories even while sedentary. It helps boost your metabolism, burn fat and calories, and increases your strength. Yes, cardio is a great way to burn calories but the muscle helps burn calories even when you're not at the gym. Keep up the good work! The key to any great work out system is cardio AND strength training.