WTH?...How did I gain 3 pounds in a few days??

Options
Ok...so I am stepping on the scale and apparently I gained 3 pounds over a few days span....I don't get it...I thought it was water weight, but two days later it is still there! =0( Any input?

Replies

• hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a lot of sodium and not drinking enough water that can cause it.. It happens to me all the time
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My advice, don't weigh yourself every day or even every few days. Pick once a week- some people even do every 2 weeks. There are so many factors that can make it appear you gained weight. If you know you are doing the right things, then I wouldn't worry.
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate in excess of 10,500 calories over your maintence level for the last few days, it is water weight. Don't worry, it will come back off in a few days.
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I weight in every day or every few days, but I only 'count' the weigh in I do on a certain day... Usually on Saturday morning. I usually have a few "extras" on Saturdays so I take a few days or until the end of the week to know that if I had a few extra beers or drinks or more sodium, that it takes a while for the extra water weight to get off. It's alright, just try not to step on the scale so often ( I think you'll probably be happier ). :smile:
  • BabyLove1606
    BabyLove1606 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys =0)...some of it came off...and some is still sticking...haha
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I agree with the once a week weigh-ins. Plus, depending on what time of month it is... you could be holding some water weight for a few days or something.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    My UN-educated guess: MUSCLE! If you strength train that is.
    I gain 2-4 lbs in a week just from going back to the gym and power housing my legs.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    ^^ lol

yeah that would be water weight. you don't gain 2-4 lbs of muscle in a week. probably not even if you're on steroids.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate in excess of 10,500 calories over your maintence level for the last few days, it is water weight. Don't worry, it will come back off in a few days.

Exactly.
  • mzfiyaa
    mzfiyaa Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    it could be water weight that happend to me at times and now i know the days i gain water weight i really have to sweat it out ....
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Answer: You didn't. At least, you didn't gain three pounds of fat.

Water weight causes fluctuations for all kinds of reasons. And it can stick around for days. I've had 5-6 pounds stick around for 5-7 days after a particularly naughty day. It's not fat, it's retention cause by carbs, sodium, or from starting or changing an exercise program. Additionally, as a woman, you're going to retain water during certain times in your cycle. It's a fact. It will go away.

If it's going to make you upset, don't weigh so often.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    ^^ lol

yeah that would be water weight. you don't gain 2-4 lbs of muscle in a week. probably not even if you're on steroids.
    most likely
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The scale is evviiiilll... That's my take... I can fluctuate 3 pounds each day..second the motion..less weighing is best for sanity :blushing:
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a lot of sodium and not drinking enough water that can cause it.. It happens to me all the time
    ^^^This. Last week I put 4 lbs on overnight from eating salty pizza. Started drowning myself with water. Lost 4lbs and then some over the course of a week.
  • nabak147112
    nabak147112 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    it probably is just water weight,i wouldnt worry about it.your weight can fluctuate daily.
  • murphyfitfreak
    Options
    My weight will actually fluctuate within 2-4 lbs daily depending on the time of day that I weight myself.... Just look at the average. Also...kind of ignore the scale and look how your clothes fit....and comments from other.
    Also remember if your hitting the gym and you loose bodyfat you are also gaining muscle at the same time. Muscle is what gives women there amazing curves!!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    179972_4203862784773_256854217_n.jpg

Water weight is normal if you consume carbs, sodium, alcohol etc...

Also if its hot youll gain water as well.

Drink up buttercup!
    It will go away!
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My weight goes nuts around TOM. Also my scales are kinda weird so if it seems strange I step off and try again. Once they told me I lost 15 pounds in 3 days. HAH I wish. Tried again and it was the same as my last weigh in.

Sodium is the heavy hitter in this battle, drink lots and lots of water and watch out for premade foods and your weight changes will make better sense probably.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The scale is a lying wh0re! I've only lost 2 lbs, but I've lost 7", including 3" off my waist. Like others have said, weigh in once a week, and start taking physical measurements every few weeks if you haven't already! :smile:
  • jc501
    jc501 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Have you been watching your sodium levels? Are you going to the bathroom on the regular? It could be a number of things....