What's your grocery/other food bill like?

Options
Tenoreo90
Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
For myself, toddler daughter, and SO we spend around $100 week-that includes toiletries/household needs as well. I can't tell if this is high or not.

We eat out once a week to every other week, spending around $30-50 dollars.

Replies

• doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Seems low to me.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    we spend about 150.00 per week that is with the GF food for hubby and going out to eat with my Dad for breakfast 4 times a week. 4 in our family but dd is not home much
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    About 300/week to feed a family of five, but that includes non-food items like paper towel. So probably $250.
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My significant other and I spend $50 a week in total. We only buy things on sale. If it's not on sale, we wait. That's the only way we keep from spending too much.

Yours seems fine. Children are expensive!
  • nlawing
    nlawing Posts: 36
    Options
    In June I spent $190 on groceries (about $47 per week) and $100 eating out (about $25 per week).
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I also have a toddler and spend $90-$100 every week.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm on low carb and live alone, it's about $100 wk for just me.
  • Lauren0427
    Lauren0427 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I normally spend 250-300 per pay period. (My husband gets paid on the 1st &15th) Since we are really starting to change how we are eating, I think I'm going to start going once a week, that way I don't have fresh stuff going bad. I'm really hoping our bill goes down since we wont be buying junk anylonger.

Edited to add, I also have two toddlers who are still in diapers and that eaisly adds more to our bill.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I budget $400 a month for 2 adults, a 7 year old and 2 dogs. This includes paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning and dog food (obviously). I dont hit that budget much but its a nice goal. That does not include eating out for the most part.

I heard that you were supposed to take the number of people then mulitply it by $100 then add $100. So for 5 people that would be $600. Although, Im sure it varies widely from child to adult and extra items like formula or specialty foods.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ours is around $200 - $250 a week for my husband and I, and the weekly weekend cookout for several guests. That includes all food, beer, wine and non-food grocery items.

ETA: This is grocery store only. It doesn't include eating out or toiletries/cleaning products bought elsewhere.
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    I spend anywhere from $50-$100 with our organic produce delivery service (all produce, eggs, cheese, meats, grains etc), and $25-$50 additional for things we cannot obtain from there.
    There are only two of us. And one of us (not me) is an avid cyclist who averages 10,000 miles a year on his bike, so he eats a lot.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    75.00 max for a family of 7 with diapers and formula included.... for everything! I price match at Wal-Mart and only by on sale in bulk. I use to do couponing too but not enough time now. We have a nice stockpile in the freezer. Especially when hamburger meat goes down to .99 a pound and chicken breast too we buy 50.00 worth and live on it until it is on sale again.
  • sonyalbruno
    sonyalbruno Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I spend 300-350$ a week depending on the houshold needs. Thats me, my work out obsessed hubby (and all his suppliments), 2 kids, and 3 dogs that eat EXTEMLEY well for dogs. We dont eat out much anymore maybe once every 2 weeks. We buy mostly organic vegies and fruit, and meat from a actual butcher shop where the animals are only grain fed without any antibiotics or food fillers etc, and farm fresh eggs from a neighbour.
  • sonyalbruno
    sonyalbruno Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I spend 300-350$ a week depending on the houshold needs. Thats me, my work out obsessed hubby (and all his suppliments), 2 kids, and 3 dogs that eat EXTEMLEY well for dogs. We dont eat out much anymore maybe once every 2 weeks. We buy mostly organic vegies and fruit, and meat from a actual butcher shop where the animals are only grain fed without any antibiotics or food fillers etc, and farm fresh eggs from a neighbour.

Sorry I menat every 2 weeks. I only buy a small pkg of diapers every month as I use cloth diapers at home, disposable when we are out and about.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I live together, and we aim to spend £25 ($38) week for everything food related... sometimes it creeps up to £30 though.
  • Oreomilkshakebabe
    Options
    For three people in my house ( my father, mother and I. )
    It's $200-$250 every WEEK or every other week.
    My dad likes normal milk, my mom likes soy, I like almond.
    So we have a ton of the " same things " but different. If that makes sense.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I currently feed a family of 3 on $200/month. It is not easy; in fact, it sucks. However, I've come to conclude that anyone who says they cannot afford to eat healthy on $200/month (or more) is simply not trying hard enough.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    For just my husband and myself, we spend about $90.00 per week on groceries and eat out 1-2 times per week.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    For myself, toddler daughter, and SO we spend around $100 week-that includes toiletries/household needs as well. I can't tell if this is high or not.

We eat out once a week to every other week, spending around $30-50 dollars.

We spend about $250.00 a month for myself, husband and 2 dogs.

But then again, I don't shop at the regular grocery markets or Wal-mart either.
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Just today I spent $120 at the grocery store and another $15 at the Farmer's Market. We are a family of 5 and all meals are prepared at home from scratch (save for pasta). I shop weekly and try to buy the produce on sale.