Losing weight WITHOUT doing low carb

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Depending on the day, I eat 40-50% carbs.
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am not doing low carb I have gone gluten free and am eating whole foods. I still eat some fruit and all the veggies I want. You are right low carb is difficult but, eating whole unprocessed foods and gluten free isn't. It does take more cooking but, I have gotten better and my family is coming around. And it can seem more expensive but, if you factor in that you are cutting out the processed foods (which can be expensive) and not eating fast food as much as possible I think it works out to the same. Plus whole foods keep you full longer. When losing it is still all about portion control and working out but, you don't have to go crazy with it. Slow and steady loss does work!I am making this a lifestyle change not another diet. BTW I have Hashimotos that is why I chose to go Gluten free and it is working out for me. Best of luck!
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    Carbs are important for brain function!! I like to eat a little protein, fiber, and carbs at each meal.

You don't need that super-detailed plan the doctor wrote, IMO ... read around MFP and learn about macros and count your calories, and viola.

Fats are important for brain function and general cell function. Also, proteins for brain function. The body turns everything into one form of sugar or another (carbs), or indeed converts sugars (carbs) to some types of fat.

There are ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS, there are ESSENTIAL AMINO ACIDS for PROTEIN production - there is no such thing as an essential CARB.

To the OP, apart from porridge oats and wheat germ I personally do not do grains, but I am not low carb. For every grain there is a nut or seed or vegetable that can replace them.

I am currently 30% saturated fats only, 30% carbs and 40% protein. But this is an experiment for 4 weeks. I intend to go 50% protein, 30% saturated fats and 20% carbs.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Me! I've lost 80lbs doing 45-50% carbs :) It can be done!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Probably on average my carbs have been about 50-60%. I try to eat more protein and get carbs around 40-45% but I love carbs ;) I eat a lot of fruit and a lot of whole wheat bread and potatoes and some crackers and stuff like that. Anyway, I have been successful so far :smile:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I don't low-carb. I do try to eat under 150g a day because I just frigging LOVE bread and anything bread related but I don't specifically seek out low-carbing. I'll do the "don't eat a hamburger bun if you're eating potato wedges" thing but that's about it... oh and sugar.. sugar gets cut down because it's satanic or something. My dairy is open :)
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid the carbs from potatoes, pasta, and rice when possible and get my carbs from fruits and veggies......
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I don't go nuts with carbs but if I want them I eat them. Pasta, bread, a cookie, a slice of cake. I'll eat it. I try to workout consistently and watch my calories. I can totally understand people avoiding carbs who have certain health issues but if thats not you then enjoy!
  • CatSummer
    CatSummer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't really watch my carb intake.... I have lost about 30lbs.
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out is true but all foods are not the same. Read an interesting study recently that showed how digesting processed foods uses less calories than digesting whole foods and non-processed. I'm sure it is not a major amount - but good nutrition counts too.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of carbs. I love them. And they love me.
  • krissagray
    krissagray Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I would venture to guess most successful people are doing it without low carb

Like! :)
  • krissagray
    krissagray Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carb but I try to get 120 grams of protein at least and the carbs and fat just fall into place while sticking to my calorie goal.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily a low carber, however I really do try hard to only get my carbs through veggies and fruit. I have a weakness for bread and chips and such, so on days that I eat too much of that, I don't get near the protein intake that I need, and end up not performing as well as I need to at my workouts. Still trying to fine tune my eating to what is optimal for my body to lose fat though and I am always curious to see what others are successful with. I am definitely with a lot of y'all though. If I get too low on my carbs (unintentionally), it's bad news bears and I start falling apart. I am glad to hear that there are people who have not jumped on the low-carb waggon
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I am doing HIGH carbs with low protein :).... but that'S because I am a junk food crazy person! Calories in calories out. And.... I tried the whole "clean food" and low carb thing. My body felt like freakin you know what and my workouts were crappy. Found that if I ate what I craved and listened to my body, my body felt better even on Twix bars, little debbies, ice cream, and cookies. I CRAVE CARBS BABY!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are carbs, no way I'm going to skip those. I try to avoid grains, though. Mostly. (It's a shame, because bread is my FAVE food group.)
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure how many carbs per day is considered "low carb". I eat around 150g per day which is anywhere from 30%-40% in my macros.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    As much I can, I lean low-glycemic and Mediterranean: veggies, lean protein (fish, beans, chicken), whole grains, fruit, some dairy and eggs, red wine with meals when I can. I like being able to add things to diet---artichokes, red pepper, squash, papayas, eggplant---rather than focus on taking stuff away.

You gotta be careful though because some "wheat" breads they've taken the nutrients out--gotta love the American food-processing industry. Eating out can be a problem--someone's bound to put unhealthy stuff in the food or used processed garbage. I do what I can most of the time.

Not going w/o pasta, red wine, whole grains and gelato unless I have to, though obviously diabetics have to be careful with this stuff, and pre-diabetics and people at risk from diabetes may benefit from eliminating high-glycemic sources of food until their body can handle them. But I workout hard so my body needs healthy carbs.

If your doctor put you on a lot of whole grains, are you low in blood sugar or iron? Just wondering.
  • pichild
    pichild Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I tend to loose a lot of weight very quickly if I cut out carbs...that said...I CANNOT live that way long term...I am learning to make healthier Carb choices...
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I did a cut using 40 35 25 or something very close to those numbers.

Some people can cut just fine without cutting their carbs out.