Everything in moderation? Really?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in the everything in moderation philosophy either. I am reading this as I eat my Twix candy bar, finish up my donut, & drink the rest of my coffee with a packet of hot cocoa in it full of sugar (seeing as I am already 60 grams over my sugar intake MFP has me on per day), so that I can then eat my processed breakfast sandwich with processed bread and cheese and eggs and sausage dripping in syrup. And I realize... I am quite happy with my 16.3% body fat I have achieved while not limiting myself to anything and I am quite happy with my food too. To each their own! Now I am going to go eat! Have fun debating and eating cardboard ;)

Are those the only choices in your world? Cardboard or candy, donuts and egg sandwiches with syrup (:sick: )?? That's a mighty sad world you live in friend. My BF would be lower than 16% if those were the only choices I had.
    The point <

Your head <

ROFL!! :laugh:
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I don't eat clean by any means and I don't eat crap all the time. However I refuse to deprive myself of things. I count for it, I log everything daily. However, I do eat better now then I use to eat. I think people fail to see this, some people are just starting and are just learning, some people believe they can eat what they want as long as they count it. Some people eat better then they did before even if it's not clean. I'm taking little out at a time. I have done away with fried foods and Soda's sugar is another story, I have taken it out a lot but I have days that I cave in. Yup moderation is key, I do believe that, it is for me. What works for me might not be your thing, but I'm not going to knock you for how you do it. I'm healthier now then I've ever been and I do workout and my muscles are becoming more and more visible.

This is a good point...that many may be transitioning to new habits that ultimately eliminate the foods that are causing them problems (but on their way, are keeping the "EIM" mantra). For those people, I would say good work, keep it up.

However, for those who have tried this many times (each time with "EIM"), and find that they are *not* making progress towards their goals, that it continues to be a struggle for them no matter how hard they try, that I believe questioning "EIM" is worth considering...because there are people who *have* accomplished their goals without "EIM" by making a clean break from certain foods, and that these certain foods are what kept them from being successful.

(And the ultimate irony in all of this is that *after* reaching and maintaining their goals, having broken their reliance on these foods, they have been able to successful indulge in them *if/when they want* in *moderation* without falling back into their old habits.)

That's an interesting take. I went off caffeine and sugar completely, now I enjoy both in moderation. Foods like these make a noticeable change in your moods and energy level. Now I can enjoy a little of these for the taste and not consume a lot for their effects.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in the everything in moderation philosophy either. I am reading this as I eat my Twix candy bar, finish up my donut, & drink the rest of my coffee with a packet of hot cocoa in it full of sugar (seeing as I am already 60 grams over my sugar intake MFP has me on per day), so that I can then eat my processed breakfast sandwich with processed bread and cheese and eggs and sausage dripping in syrup. And I realize... I am quite happy with my 16.3% body fat I have achieved while not limiting myself to anything and I am quite happy with my food too. To each their own! Now I am going to go eat! Have fun debating and eating cardboard ;)

You missed the point...If you eat like you are talking about without doing it in moderation, you're body fat will be WAY higher than 16.9%.

No I didn't... I wasn't missing the point I was being sarcastic and I am at 16.3% body fat and I eat like that every day. Eating healthy has nothing to do with loosing body fat.

12543920_6796.jpg
  • Thor2020
    Thor2020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Too much water is called drowning.

What your discussion is more about deals with the choices we make in our eating or drinking habits, not moderation.
    Everything we do is in moderation....it has to be.

Tap water and bottled water could contain arsenic....yet we still drink it.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I agree with the point the OP is making in that 'everything in moderation' doesn't work for everyone and is used as a crutch by many who fail to reach sustained weight loss.

The real problem isn't really the fact that people may have a Twinkie once a month. The problem is that 'moderation' is such a broad term. It can mean once a day, once a week, once a month, or once a year. There's no set definition.

I've cut out a lot of crap from my diet that I once enjoyed. I don't expect to go back - and for the things I've cut out and go back to, it's usually one or twice a month at most.

I always get a disapproving look when I tell people I don't eat grains or don't eat sugar. They shake their heads and say it isn't sustainable or healthy to cut out entire 'food groups' and that 'moderation' is key to success and health, etc.

Well I've been at it for two years and have never felt better. This isn't to say I never ever have grains or sugar, but it's generally on a special occasion.

The other thing that people don't really think of is that for most people tracking calories isn't something that they expect to or want to do for the rest of their lives. So, sure, you can eat your junk foods as long as it fits into your calories (because you exercised like a maniac or starved yourself to make it fit that day), but what happens when you stop counting them?
    To me, I would slowly slip into eating more and more junk , and because I allowed junk food 'in moderation' there really was no reason for me to not eat something ('oh, I'll have it just today and tomorrow I'll be good').

Now, without grain and sugar, it's actually difficult for me to eat too many calories, so I know that even if I stop calorie-counting, I'll be able to maintain quite easily.

Like the OP, I'm not saying that this works for everyone, but I would be willing to bet that many who have yo-yo dieted and don't plan on counting calories for the rest of their lives could benefit from an 'elimination' diet, rather than an 'everything in moderation' diet.
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    No I didn't... I wasn't missing the point I was being sarcastic and I am at 16.3% body fat and I eat like that every day. Eating healthy has nothing to do with loosing body fat.

12543920_6796.jpg

Wow - you really do eat like crap. I thought you were exaggerating, but honestly, I think you get the distinction of the person who eats the most junk that I've ever seen on here.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

12543920_6796.jpg

Wow - you really do eat like crap. I thought you were exaggerating, but honestly, I think you get the distinction of the person who eats the most junk that I've ever seen on here.

That was both freakin funny and kinda sad for me at the same time, heheh. Yah some days I am worse then others. This weeks been one of those junk food weeks... actually the past 2 weeks really. I had like 8 cookies plus on Sunday, hah! To each his own though! Glad you are going towards the healthy side and you found out what works for you! Me if I try and restrict myself to whatever I over eat and don't feel satisfied with the healthy foods period so I am constantly searching for more food after I am done. I feel more full, stay full longer, and have more energy off of the junk. AND I burn a heck of alot more because I am jumping off the walls 24/7! I have eaten this way my whole life. Tired healthy for a while and wow my body tanked! Plus it also doesn't help that I am allergic to most all fruits and veggies. That kinda puts a damper in the whole trying to eat healthy anyway. I can only eat broccoli, apples, pears, peaches, and strawberries and even some times those make me itch like a crazy person! No nuts with the exception of peanuts
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You missed the point...If you eat like you are talking about without doing it in moderation, you're body fat will be WAY higher than 16.9%.

12543920_6796.jpg

TBH, I ate like that in my early 30s too, and with similarly low BF.

I certainly wasn't healthy back then, but I was still skinny.

*shrug*
  • pattyproulx
    Options

12543920_6796.jpg

That was both freakin funny and kinda sad for me at the same time, heheh. Yah some days I am worse then others. This weeks been one of those junk food weeks... actually the past 2 weeks really. I had like 8 cookies plus on Sunday, hah! To each his own though! Glad you are going towards the healthy side and you found out what works for you! Me if I try and restrict myself to whatever I over eat and don't feel satisfied with the healthy foods period so I am constantly searching for more food after I am done. I feel more full, stay full longer, and have more energy off of the junk. AND I burn a heck of alot more because I am jumping off the walls 24/7! I have eaten this way my whole life. Tired healthy for a while and wow my body tanked! Plus it also doesn't help that I am allergic to most all fruits and veggies. That kinda puts a damper in the whole trying to eat healthy anyway. I can only eat broccoli, apples, pears, peaches, and strawberries and even some times those make me itch like a crazy person! No nuts with the exception of peanuts
    Well if it works for you, that's great! You do look great.
    I didn't look past this week, so I'm judging based solely on that so if this is a bad week, I might have to take the award back :p.
    It's actually not 'that' bad of a diet and is probably fairly average for Americans, but on this site you generally see people doing their best to eat healthy.

Either way, I couldn't eat like that anymore. I'd always be hungry or if I let myself eat, I'd weigh 250lbs+ (been at around that weight eating fairly healthy).
    Crazy about your allergies though! That'd be really tough!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

12543920_6796.jpg

*shrug*

Not sure I believe you. Low BF is a pretty good indicator of health. She's not skinny fat.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

12543920_6796.jpg

Inb4 people reject thermodynamics and claim that your physique is a result of metabolic luck.

P.S. how YOU doin? =)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

*shrug*

Not sure I believe you. Low BF is a pretty good indicator of health. She's not skinny fat.

You don't believe that I ate a relatively poor diet in my early 30s (and 20s and teens) and kept a low BF? What's not to believe about that? A very physically active young man subsisting on a diet with lots of poptarts, doughnuts, soda, etc. with a low BF isn't (or at least wasn't) uncommon at all. (I'm sure I can find a few six-pack shots from my 20s...but then I guess you just won't believe my diet claims?) Really?

I was going to point out how people often confuse relatively low/lean weight with actual health as they are two very different things, but you jumped straight from confusing the two to highly correlating the two. "Low BF is a pretty good indicator of health"?? I can't be the only one who doesn't believe that, am I?

There's more to health than an active lifestyle at maintenance calories.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

*shrug*

You don't believe that I ate a relatively poor diet in my early 30s (and 20s and teens) and kept a low BF? What's not to believe about that? A very physically active young man subsisting on a diet with lots of poptarts, doughnuts, soda, etc. with a low BF isn't (or at least wasn't) uncommon at all. (I'm sure I can find a few six-pack shots from my 20s...but then I guess you just won't believe my diet claims?) Really?

I was going to point out how people often confuse relatively low/lean weight with actual health as they are two very different things, but you jumped straight from confusing the two to highly correlating the two. "Low BF is a pretty good indicator of health"?? I can't be the only one who doesn't believe that, am I?

There's more to health than an active lifestyle at maintenance calories.

I didn't say active lifestyle at maintenance calories. I said BF is a good indicator of health. How do you measure health? Weight isn't a good indicator. Blood work? Yes, I would agree with that. How exactly?