Have any of you been asked when the baby was due.

Options

Replies

• LittleLessCurves
    Options
    It just so happens all my weight is in my belly area...
    Im 20 as well, unfortunately it has happend to me quite a few times. i work in a day care so the little kids ask without thinking about it... but it depends on my mood that day.

A few months ago i was walking through my college campus and a a woman came up to me and asked me how far along i was, so i just put my hand on my stomach and told her 4 months (i just didnt feel like arguing about it) and she screeched out, OMG THATS WONDERFUL, I HAD TO COME OVER BECAUSE YOU ARE JUST GLOWING!! i mean hey ill take the glowing part!

And i ran into my grandmother at my work once and she came up to me and put her hands on my stomach and basically yelled, "i thought you said you werent pregnant!!" haha later that day my coworker asked me if it was true haha.

I figure once i lose all the weight everyones gonna ask how the baby is....
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It happened to me.
    It was this lady I used to travel with a few years ago I met her at the train station after a few years of not seeing each other and she said "Are you pregnant?".
    I answered: "No. I just got fat".
    I was very embarassed, yet I felt a little bed for being rude.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I was always told, unless you can see a head coming out.
    Or the person says " i cant't wait till this baby is born"
    Dont EVER ask if they're pregnant.

Has anyone else heard this?
  • stumpycow
    stumpycow Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    At work, I've had some elderly women who have been patients for a long time ask sometimes but they're so sweet about it, I can't get mad. I just tell people it's "baby leftovers". I did have 2 pregnancies close together so I also get "you haven't delivered yet??" I guess they think I've been pregnant for 4 years straight lol.

Sadly, though, my 4 yo daughter randomly comes up and kisses "the baby in my belly" :cry:
  • stumpycow
    stumpycow Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    unless you can see a head coming out.

omgosh i literally LOL'd.
  • Deej53
    Deej53 Posts: 12
    Options
    My response was "Yes, this is baby fat alright; of course the baby is 22 now," then laughed. She, a high school classmate, was utterly embarrassed. I went home and cried for an hour and a half.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I did this to someone!!! I saw one of my long-time co-workers that I had not seen in a very long time and she had gained ALOT of weight. When I met her she was a size 8 or so and now she's a size 20. I asked her how far along she was and she told me she was not pregnant and I almost DIED of embarrassment! I felt HORRIBLE!!!
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I remember when this TV add came on when I was a child, about 5 or 6 years old I was.

it had a thing where this little kid asked this big guy "Is your baby gonna be a boy?", and at that moment I thought to myself "Oh crap, I'm gonna hear that tomorrow"

And then I heard it throughout my entire school life.

So in short, yes =]
  • JamieAlexandraX
    JamieAlexandraX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My mum was talking to one of her friends and her friend said how she was becoming a grandmother and asked my mum "oh how long has Jay got left" my jaw dropped and i went red with embarassment, i didnt know wether to cry or laugh! I couldnt believe my ears and i was smaller back when this got said i cant imagine what she would say now.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Yup. Of course, technically I was pregnant but only a couple weeks along, so he shouldn't have known!!!
  • gypsykitchen
    Options
    Ha! I teach high school. So many students (usually girls) ask me if I'm pregnant, especially if I'm wearing something with an empire waist. I like to tell them, "No, I'm just fat," and smile. :)
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I have, but it but different circumstances. I had a surgery on my stomach and I seriously did look like I was pregnant. My sister was offended, but I just played along because they didn't know about anything, and I was never gonna see them again anyway :).
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yep and it really upset me, especially as I was trying to lose my baby weight and was doing so well. :sad: :sad: :sad:

ETA: when I said I wasn't pregnant she said "oh that's strange how your tummy sticks out" I went home and cried to my hubby, he was so pissed off my my behalf he phoned the grocery store to complain to the manager about the woman. Fair enough to make a mistake but then to go on about it.
  • iieee
    iieee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not exactly been asked it, but I was getting a lot of "are you thinking of having any more?" at the start of this year, which is what people used to ask me when I actually was pregnant with #2. A sort of 'I think you could be pregnant but I'm not sure so I will try and get you to tell me without asking directly'. So I just say 'nope!' and smile...
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you. There's no way around it, that is just hurtful. It happened to me years ago, long before I actually got "fat." I was a teacher in my late 20's at the time and at 5'3" I weighed125 --not great, but certainly not fat! A skinny little mother of one of my students just casually asked one day "So, when are you due?" I WISH I'd responded with "Due for what?", but instead I just instantly replied, "I'm not pregnant, I'm just fat." She was sufficiently embarrassed and I didn't attempt to make her feel any better. If someone is not OBVIOUSLY a day away from delivery, you just don't ask that question!!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    When I first went over to a now ex friend's house, her then 4 year old sister slapped on my belly and asked if I was pregnant. She maintained the belief I was pregnant for roughly 4 years and then she finally figured out I was just fat.

Other than that I've never been asked because my stomach is in such a way that it doesn't even remotely resemble any stage of pregnancy. But really, it's nothing to get up in arms about. People are naturally curious and they don't mean any ill will by asking. Personally I'd rather someone think I was pregnant than fat.
  • hippieklaar
    hippieklaar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    People used to ask me this all the time.. It was before I ever started dieting.. I was still pretty thin, but had just started to gain weight after high school. I tend to gain the most weight in my stomach/hips and the rest of my body stays pretty thin. I feel like unless you are very obviously showing, people should NEVER ask that... Sometimes I see people 7-8 months along & stop myself from asking just in case... :/
  • ohmyshysamantha
    ohmyshysamantha Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My cousin asks me all the time if I'm pregnant. He's 9. and when I say no he says "you got alot of junk in your trunk" I seriously want to strangle whoever taught him that saying.

And there was a time last year. I was in wisconsin and some bars there will serve people under age 21 if their parent or guardian is there, I convinced my boss to say she was my mom when I went out with some coworkers, I had two beers and the bartenders switched, when I went up to the bar for a 3rd beer and the bartender refused me service because he couldnt in good conscious serve me alcohol in my condition. and when I asked what condition he responded with pregnant.
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    I've been asked ..but usually by strangers. It's so embarrassing because they usually say it in front of a lot of people, but I usually just laugh and say oh i'm not pregnant it's just fat that I'm working on "/

I have a pretty small shape, but my stomach has always been the biggest part of my body! & is the first place where I gained weight (pretty much only place)
  • Bunnehface
    Bunnehface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've never been asked that before - thank God - but just reminded me of someone asking my friend that very same question...she had a one year old son (at the time) and this guy just said 'so when's the next one due?'...she didn't understand and said 'oh I don't know, a long time yet.' He didn't get it and persisted with 'haven't you had scans and stuff?' The penny dropped, there was an awkward loooooong silence and I took him outside and told him she wasn't pregnant. He was completely unabashed, and even continued saying 'sorry, but hey mummy tummy's are sexy to some people, you don't need to lose a pound!' *faceplants keyboard* I'm cringing just remembering it...and the worst bit was, she wasn't even big! She was about a UK size 12 (a US size 10).
    For the record, we didn't stay in touch with this guy haha.