Burning Fat on an Elliptical

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Do the MOST work you can in the time you have allotted. That's how you do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    "You don't understand what overtraining is and how it occurs. A chronic training overload that does not allow for recovery will eventually lead to overtraining. It actually quite common.

In fact I would go so far as to say that if you never experience overtraining, you are not pushing yourself to your full capability."

I understand it fully. And if this were an elite athlete site then I would discuss overtraining, andf still come out NAY.

Perhaps you would like to discuss structured training, and how that is relevant to someone who is not even doing 15 minutes an eliiptical.

Why even raise the overtraining word, just another negative to keep people in their dark hole of inactivity.

Thanks for your input. Perhaps T-Nation will find it interesting.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Life Fitness machine then, X-train if it has that function, fast, slow, resistance up, resistance down, concentrate on upper body, concentrate on lower body all automatic.

And yes to high intensity intervals, if you know how to do them on an elliptical machine.

Better still and it seems that you may find cardio machines a bit dull, take this challenge

50 squats
    25 left leg lunges
    25 right leg lunges
    50 jumping jacks
    25 press ups - use knees
    25 squats
    15 left leg lunges
    15 right leg lunges
    25 jumping jacks
    30 seconds PLANK
    rest I minute and 30 seconds plank - this should take about 15 minutes. Raise heart rate to cardio levels and hit your muscles.

You rest as and when you need it, but try to complete in one go. Do it at least 3 times a week, time each session and after a month amaze yourself with your progress.

this sounds very similar to the 30 day shred

I was JUST thinking that! Except without the annoying DVD lol
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    "(the so-called "fat loss zone" is a myth), but doing them everyday can lead to over-training" -

and overtraing applies to professional sports persons (or amateurs) engaging in at least 20 hours of training per week, and even then the vast majority of pro athletes never suffer from what is described as overtraining. Whereas, the body at certain heart rates is known to burn stored fat more than other material, so not a myth.

So, what is a myth BRO

1. So would you recomend weight training the same muscles 7 days per week? Over-training only applies to pro-athletes right bro?

2. At certain heart rates the body burns slightly different PERCENTAGES of fat and carbs. Burning 55% fat and 45% carbs doesn't mean jack if your overall calorie burn is much lower than the guy burning 45% fat and 55% carbs, especially when the hormonal response is much more favorable with HIIT. And then there's the fact that every study done has found that people performing HIIT end up with better body composition results than endurance cardio.

Then perhaps you should explain WEIGHT TRAINING, MUSCLE HYPERTROPHY and all that entails rather than using the OVERTRAINING word. Perhaps you could enlighten us to a 7 day program rather than don't do that.

And then isn't fat burning zone really easy to understand for someone new to this game.

As for your HIIT thing, yes. All the time, some of the time, How long, what is it?
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Do the MOST work you can in the time you have allotted. That's how you do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yes!
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Life Fitness machine then, X-train if it has that function, fast, slow, resistance up, resistance down, concentrate on upper body, concentrate on lower body all automatic.

And yes to high intensity intervals, if you know how to do them on an elliptical machine.

Better still and it seems that you may find cardio machines a bit dull, take this challenge

50 squats
    25 left leg lunges
    25 right leg lunges
    50 jumping jacks
    25 press ups - use knees
    25 squats
    15 left leg lunges
    15 right leg lunges
    25 jumping jacks
    30 seconds PLANK
    rest I minute and 30 seconds plank - this should take about 15 minutes. Raise heart rate to cardio levels and hit your muscles.

You rest as and when you need it, but try to complete in one go. Do it at least 3 times a week, time each session and after a month amaze yourself with your progress.

this sounds very similar to the 30 day shred

I have no idea what a 30 day shred is. That to me is just a nice simple full body workout which raises heart rate and works muscle which is more interesting than cardio machines and I believe more fun. We do not have to be slaves to machines, machines are our "slaves"

totally! 30 day shred is a great workout dvd by Jillian Michaels. It combines strength training with cardio in a 20 min circuit. Very popular on this site - if you ever see 30DS, they're referring to the 30 day shred
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    I know this Jillian Michaels. I did not know she had such a popular w/o.

Thanks for heads up.

Want to see my current inspiration - search: functional patterns - taking things to a whole new dimension.

Or faster functional training - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4KCFLcJFhU
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    "You don't understand what overtraining is and how it occurs. A chronic training overload that does not allow for recovery will eventually lead to overtraining. It actually quite common.

In fact I would go so far as to say that if you never experience overtraining, you are not pushing yourself to your full capability."

I understand it fully. And if this were an elite athlete site then I would discuss overtraining, andf still come out NAY.

Perhaps you would like to discuss structured training, and how that is relevant to someone who is not even doing 15 minutes an eliiptical.

Why even raise the overtraining word, just another negative to keep people in their dark hole of inactivity.

Thanks for your input. Perhaps T-Nation will find it interesting.

Sorry, but Azdak clearly knows a heck of a lot more about this topic than you do. Allowing your body time to properly recover after intense exercise is pretty basic stuff, especially while operating on a caloric defecit.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Then perhaps you should explain WEIGHT TRAINING, MUSCLE HYPERTROPHY and all that entails rather than using the OVERTRAINING word. Perhaps you could enlighten us to a 7 day program rather than don't do that.

And then isn't fat burning zone really easy to understand for someone new to this game.

As for your HIIT thing, yes. All the time, some of the time, How long, what is it?

You're getting too hung up on semantics. When I say "overtraining," I'm not referring to a specific medical syndrome. I'm just referring to the fact that your body and muscles aren't getting proper recovery and hence you'll achieve sub-optimal results.
  • vtachycardia
    Options

You're getting too hung up on semantics. When I say "overtraining," I'm not referring to a specific medical syndrome. I'm just referring to the fact that your body and muscles aren't getting proper recovery and hence you'll achieve sub-optimal results.

Easy really isn't it, to differentiate rather than raise a word that is so loaded with meaning. I agree - I see people who overtrain their abs and chest and biceps to the point of ridicule, does it mean they have overtrained?

So, if discussing overtraining with a Tour De France winner or an ultra marathon runner or the world's strongest man or Mr. Universe, then the discussion is relevant. Unlike someone not enjoying 15 minutes on an elliptical machine.

Peace out.
  • zimmmmms
    zimmmmms Posts: 13 Member
    Options

50 squats
    25 left leg lunges
    25 right leg lunges
    50 jumping jacks
    25 press ups - use knees
    25 squats
    15 left leg lunges
    15 right leg lunges
    25 jumping jacks
    30 seconds PLANK

How do you track this in your exercise diary?
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    great question

you could do with a heart rate monitor and get your average heart rate and then a exercise calulator that converts heart rate to calories burned

or, which may be a cheat but without a heart rate monitor I will say to use the (search) circuit training in cardiovascular on MFP. You will need the total time elapsed for the routine. Enter that number, 15 minutes I guess will be around 220 calories, if it is 300 and you are new to this style of exercise then I would knock the time down to achieve 220. Calorie burn is an exact science but most of us lack the equipment to measure calorie burn correctly.

BTW - i would anticipate that people who workout regularly would do that workout in 5 minutes, maybe a little faster.