Late morning hunger (more like starvation!)

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I just starting intermittent fasting because I was suffering the same thing. Didn't matter if I ate 100 or 300 calories at 7AM, by 9:30-10:30 I would be ravenous. I just started skipping breakfast because I wasn't really hungry when I woke up, and the late morning hunger went away on it's own.

I'm not sure if this would work for you (I'd recommend researching before just doing this, please please please I am not a health professional AT ALL haha), but that's what cured it for me.

I have studied nutrition a bit, and for most people, this will not work. Your body needs fuel in the morning to start the metabolism... the reason not eating cured your mid-morning hunger is because you stalled your metabolism... your body thinks you're starving and is probably storing everything as fat. You may be losing weight, but imaging how much more efficient it would be if you were eating properly :). Eating 5-6 smaller meals a day (including breakfast) will increase your metabolism, causing you to burn fat faster. Yes, you'll be hungry more often, but carry some almonds or a piece of fruit. I pre-plan and pack all my meals and take them to work with me. I also have a can of almonds in my desk if I start getting hungry... a handful will cure any hunger pains. :)

Oh boy...

I think you should do some more studying
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have a schedule, sort of, and I always have to have my 10-11am snack! Its usually something simple like a slice of cheese and grapes, pistashios and a plum, apple with peanut butter or even a granola bar!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I just starting intermittent fasting because I was suffering the same thing. Didn't matter if I ate 100 or 300 calories at 7AM, by 9:30-10:30 I would be ravenous. I just started skipping breakfast because I wasn't really hungry when I woke up, and the late morning hunger went away on it's own.

I'm not sure if this would work for you (I'd recommend researching before just doing this, please please please I am not a health professional AT ALL haha), but that's what cured it for me.

I have studied nutrition a bit, and for most people, this will not work. Your body needs fuel in the morning to start the metabolism... the reason not eating cured your mid-morning hunger is because you stalled your metabolism... your body thinks you're starving and is probably storing everything as fat. You may be losing weight, but imaging how much more efficient it would be if you were eating properly :). Eating 5-6 smaller meals a day (including breakfast) will increase your metabolism, causing you to burn fat faster. Yes, you'll be hungry more often, but carry some almonds or a piece of fruit. I pre-plan and pack all my meals and take them to work with me. I also have a can of almonds in my desk if I start getting hungry... a handful will cure any hunger pains. :)

Where did you study nutrition?
  • ashlafer
    ashlafer Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes! If you're actually physically hungry, eat something healthy that you may not be craving (i.e. apple) and then go from there. If 100-calorie snacks aren't doing it for you, eat a bit more (200 calorie snack) and maybe eat a little less for lunch. Personally, I'd rather go 100 calories over my daily goal and be satisfied enough (to avoid binge-eat during lunch) than allow my hunger to get worse and worse to the point that I can't make good decisions. If you're craving something crunchy, try reduced-sodium or lightly salted rice crackers with some hummus. The crackers themselves are a bit bigger than your palm and only about 35 calories each, so you can put some toppings on without feeling too guilty! Plus, they satisfy the "real crunch" craving that fruit often doesn't get for me.

I know you said water doesn't work...have you tried hot drinks, like maybe decaf coffee or a make-your-own sugarfree nonfat London Fog? Sometimes it helps if I brew some tea, put in about a tablespoon of sugarfree vanilla syrup and a little bit of nonfat or 2% milk. It's thicker and sweeter than regular tea, so it carries me over pretty well. Combine that with a light snack (rice cracker with a wedge of low fat laughing cow cheese, 1/2 cup of low-fat cottage cheese with 1-2 tbsp of reduced fat jam, 1/2 cup Total cereal with a fat-free yogurt, one packet instant oatmeal with a little bit of sweetener) and you should at least reduce your hunger by a little. Best of luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Low sodium V8. 70 calories and just enough to take the edge off till lunch. And 2 servings of vegetables!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Just in case you missed this the first time.
    I have found that eating a meal is the best way to stave off those hunger pains.

I swear it works!
    I recommend eating.
    Eat!!!
    I eat a banana or small bowl of grapes. Ooo..that reminds me! It's about time to eat!

Seriously, you probably need to eat something small to tide you over. If water isn't filling you up, then you are hungry.

These things helped me and I lost weight doing it!
  • khoppeher
    khoppeher Posts: 4
    Options
    To carpetm - I sit at a desk all day and ALWAYS get hungry (to distraction between 10:30-11:30 a.m. I gained a lot of weight by eating the cakes etc in the employee lounge down the hall... but now I'm doing great by planning ahead. First, I plan to eat a snack at my desk every morning at this time, when I am hungry. I have snacks ready - either 100 cal worth of Kangaroo multigrain pita chips (to fulfill my crunchy-salty-carb craving) or pre-cut watermelon, blueberries, strawberries or banana (if I crave something sweet). Or I dip mini pretzels into 2 TBLS of reduced fat skippy which I keep in my desk at all times. Hope this helps.
  • willowdancer
    Options
    You should look at what you are having for breakfast; you want to aim for high fiber and protein. Its hard to beat oatmeal and eggs. Morning snacks for me can range anywhere from yogurt and a granola bar, to a piece of or handful of fruit and some nuts, to some mixed veggies; I am fond of baby carrots, broccoli florets, cauliflower, sugar snap/ snow peas, and some cherry tomatoes. When I am in a real pinch, though, I will just grab an atkins advantage shake. They are high in protein and while they don't have as much fiber as I would like, they taste sooo much better than muscle milk and make a great base for home made protein shakes in the blender.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting at my desk now eating a whole raw carrot. I hate carrots. It is definitely taking away any hunger I may have had.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My go to snack for situations like this is a hardboiled egg. I don't know what it is, but it fills me up instantly and I'm good to go!

What it is, is a good dose of protein and healthy fats - both of which will help to keep you full and energized!

Almonds (and most other nuts) are a good snack for the same reason - not as much protein but they do have healthy fats.

Remember, it's not just about calories folks! You have to figure out which foods work for your body so you can be lean and still have plenty of energy to get through your day/workouts.
  • mdedmonds
    mdedmonds Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, it is possible to lose weight (and lots of it) without feeling hungry! The key is eating small meals and snacks 5 or 6 times a day and to reduce the amount of bad carbs you eat while replacing them with good carbs and fats and more protein. A 100 calorie shake for breakfast is not enough! I eat about 1,300 calories a day and always feel satisfied - especially knowing that I am only 2 hours away from the next snack or meal.

I suggest looking at the videos on the Beyond Diet website for some more suggestions.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Here's a solution. EAT SOMETHING!
  • smcfarlane88
    Options
    SO MY PROBLEM IS I WORK OVERNIGHT....IM REAL CONFUSED ON HOW TO EAT HEALTHY WHEN I MOSTLY SLEEP DURING THE DAY(EXCEPT DAYS OFF) AND WORK OERNIGHT WHAT SHOULD MY EATIN SCHEDULE BE? CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP....
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    SO MY PROBLEM IS I WORK OVERNIGHT....IM REAL CONFUSED ON HOW TO EAT HEALTHY WHEN I MOSTLY SLEEP DURING THE DAY(EXCEPT DAYS OFF) AND WORK OERNIGHT WHAT SHOULD MY EATIN SCHEDULE BE? CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP....

why are you yelling?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Add more fat and protein to your breakfast!

Known to kill all known hunger pangs...dead.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight. Between 8am and 1pm, all you consume is 100 calories? Do you eat anything before 8am, or is it that you are going a full night and all morning without anything but your shake?

Edited to add: You note that without a schedule, you can go quite a while between meals. Are you intentionally fasting?

Full night into morning with just the shake. I do that b/c I'm not much of a "breakfast" person anyway. I like to save my calories for lunch and dinner, especially after a good workout.

I'm not intentionally fasting, but I guess my point is the whole thing is mental. For instance on Saturday, I worked out in the AM, cleaned the house, and went to look at a car on no more than like 300 cal until I had dinner around 5:00. I was completely fine and distracted by my activities, I didn't feel hungry (at least not that I couldn't deal with).

Bottom line = I don't want to eat out of boredom, yet I don't want to starve myself, either. Trying to keep it at 1,200 cal all day.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast at 6 - 8, snack around 1030, lunch around 12, snack around 230, dinner around 6 - 8, and snack until I go to bed. Really I never stop eating . . . that's how MY body works. Everyone is different. I find that if I don't work around my body's schedule and instead try to impose a schedule on it I am so hungry by the time I do eat that I eat more when I do finally eat and make poor meal decisions.

The trick to not being hungry is eating.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options

why are you yelling?

AGHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    That's not a "hunger pang", that's your body desperate for food. Feed it!

Personally, I eat 3 times by 1pm. 300 cals at 8am, 300 at 10/10:30am, and another 300 at or before 1pm. (then another 300 at 4pm, and an additional 200-400 by 6pm, depending on workouts that day)

Hi guys!

Any tips for coping with an 11:00 hunger pang while at work?? I am trying to just "deal" with the hunger sensation, but at times it's too much to bear. I've been trying to keep it down to a 100 cal protein shake between 8am-1pm, but around 11 like clockwork, I get so hungry it makes me feel light headed. I've been resorting to the pretzels in my boss's office!!

Oh and PS...water DOES NOT HELP!!!!

What's funny is that on the weekends especially when I'm not on any kind of schedule, I can go quite a while without a meal and it doesn't bother me. Who knows, maybe it's all mental and I just get bored at work too often.

This whole issue could be resolved with a new job :laugh:

Anyway, has anyone discovered the secret to this phenomenon?? All/any tips are appreciated!!

Theresa
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the others that a 100 cal protein shake is not enough breakfast.

In the mid-morning, I have a cup of skim milk. It's fast and easy to drink, provides protein and is low in calories.