Feel weird using gloves in the gym?

Options
Does anyone else feel weird about using gloves in the gym? I can't put up like body-builder weight, but my hands are starting to get callouses. I just feel awkward about using gloves because I feel like people would think "oh, he thinks he's so cool...he's got the gear and everything".

Obviously, yes, I shouldn't care what others think, but the fact that I know that doesn't change how I think.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I have to quote Rippetoe on this one:
    "If you insist on wearing gloves, make sure they match your purse. "

In all seriousness: Gloves don't prevent callouses, and they hurt your grip. Ditch 'em.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    gloves just ruin your grip. You'll still get callouses.

Embrace them, and ditch the gloves. seriously.
    I haven't seen anyone serious about lifting that actually wears gloves.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for preventing them? Does it just get better with time (I'm lifting 6 days a week on a 3 day rotation and I've never done that many days of lifting per week)? Could it be that my grip's wrong? I mostly use dumbbells.

Also, thanks for the comments (good thing I asked here first-I was about to go today to buy a pair)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There's no preventing the callouses. They are part of this.

Use chalk.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    gloves just ruin your grip. You'll still get callouses.

Embrace them, and ditch the gloves. seriously.
    I haven't seen anyone serious about lifting that actually wears gloves.

Agreed!! Only thing I use is Lifting straps when doing heavy shrugs.. I got callouses and wear them as a badge of honor... lol but would rather have them along with grip strength over not.... Best of Luck...
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Gloves are a waste of time and money.

Callouses are caused by the way you grip the bar;

If you hold the bar in your palm it will naturally slip down (or up if you are doing pull ups etc) towards your fingers creasing the skin and causing the callouses.

Grip the bar where it normally ends up (where the callouses form) and you will reduce the chances of getting callouses and improve your grip.

If you can find the video by Mark Rippletoe showing this then it becomes very clear - unfortunately I can't find it right now.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing gloves for the last 3 weeks as I do StrongLifts 5x5.

I don't care one little tiny bit if someone looks at my gloves and thinks anything. I have soft nice hands and I want to keep it that way.

They are working for me.
  • Thor2020
    Thor2020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I take my wedding ring off for lifting. But no gloves.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Gloves are for women and pansies. Use Chalk.
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options
    I use gloves - my hands were raw, now it is just a small callous - I think they are beneficial and don't affect my being able to grip. No one cares if you wear gloves, or not. There are "Serious Lifters" who use use gloves, and some who don't.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Your hands are 'supposed' to get calluses when lifting. You'll want to take care of your hands to keep them from tearing too often, though. Donny Shankle put up a great youtube video on that subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otorSGl3sG0

I'd recommend ditching the gloves. They actually reduce your grip strength by essentially making the bar thicker (more crap between it and your hands). If you're lifting so much that grip strength is your limiting factor, you can either wait until it improves, use a different grip (alternate on deadlifts, etc), or just use straps.
  • itsDorian7
    itsDorian7 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you feel better wearing them, wear them. Why do you care what other people think ?
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    yea anyone using gloves, weight belt
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Dunno. Maybe because I'm not a guy and therefore not lifting heavy heavy, but gloves have definitely made a difference in my hands callousing or not. Also, they help my sweaty hands not slip, so I think they're worth it. And some brands definitely work better for me than others.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I wear a giant chrome codpiece with a flashing LED on the end.
    No one notices the gloves.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    They feel wrong because they are wrong.

I don't mind how guys look when they wear gloves because thy don't know better, but when they leave a load of leather in the knurling of the oly bars it ruins grip for everyone.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I wear them and love them. they DEF help with callouses!

I got some on ebay, used, and I have a nice stable of colors so I can rotate and wash them often.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Dunno. Maybe because I'm not a guy and therefore not lifting heavy heavy,

What does your gender have to do with whether you lift heavy ? :angry:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Gloves are for women and pansies. Use Chalk.

I don't use gloves. (*Looks down*: Yup. Still a woman.... )

But I do hear the sound of knuckles dragging, when I read this post...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    This is the vid you're thinking of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s

No need for gloves. You're gonna get callouses and there's no way around it. You can trim them/file them to keep them looking better if you like. Just make sure you're gripping correctly and give it time for your grip strength to develop.