Feel weird using gloves in the gym?

Options

Replies

• LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves and still have the starts of callouses on my hands. But the gloves to help stop my sweaty hands from sliding when deadlifting although I was on and off with them on Monday because my grip was rubbish for some reason and I could'nt pin point it to the gloves or the sweaty'ness of my lady hands....or both
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Gloves are for women and pansies. Use Chalk.

Duuuuude. , am I gonna have to come and kick your *kitten*?

Btw: I don't wear gloves and like my callouses.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of elitism in bodybuilding - gloves is one of them.

I wear gloves most of the time. Ronnie Coleman wore gloves and look how weedy he is...

2.jpg
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    wear them, I never wear them and ive ripped my hands to shreds in the past year lifting heavy, wish I had
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What?!?!?! GET GLOVES. They do prevent calluses. They don't mess up your grip.

Everyone at MFP must be at old-school, heavy iron type joints. Because chalk isn't allowed at most commercial gyms (and there's no line waiting for the squat rack, so curl away!) . I'm fairly sure I can lift, grip, pull, and push as most people here, all the while keeping my hands baby smooth so I can rub my wife's feet. Get gloves. Tip: they don't have to match your purse, but they should coordinate with your eyeliner. Kidding! I have always used gloves and haven't gotten a single word of flack about them in 20 years.

If you want to ditch gear, ditch the lifting straps.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This is the vid you're thinking of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s

No need for gloves. You're gonna get callouses and there's no way around it. You can trim them/file them to keep them looking better if you like. Just make sure you're gripping correctly and give it time for your grip strength to develop.

That's the one... grip like that and you will almost never get callouses, only time I get them is if I haven't taken the time to get the grip right!
  • italiankrystal26
    Options
    There is a lot of elitism in bodybuilding - gloves is one of them.

I wear gloves most of the time. Ronnie Coleman wore gloves and look how weedy he is...

2.jpg

Holy Crap!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Do what you want dude. Its a preference to most and yes I am old school and prefer not to use gloves. Most social fitness clubs won't have power lifters at them because they don't allow chalk. And squat racks at these clubs are used for other things than squats. Gyms and not fitness clubs allow chalk and use squat racks for squatting. If you lift heavy enough weight gloves or not you end up with callouses. Most power lifters figure theres no avoiding it so chalk up.Its all about what you want not what others think of you.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel weird about using gloves in the gym? I can't put up like body-builder weight, but my hands are starting to get callouses. I just feel awkward about using gloves because I feel like people would think "oh, he thinks he's so cool...he's got the gear and everything".

Obviously, yes, I shouldn't care what others think, but the fact that I know that doesn't change how I think.

I don't wear them for the sake of preventing callouses, but I have been considering using them because my forearms and hands sweat so much while I'm working out that my palms stay soaked, and it often causes me to nearly lose my grip. I've had a couple of close calls recently. I've got a pair at home that have open finger tips so as not to impede my sense of touch, but they keep the palms dry.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel weird about using gloves in the gym? I can't put up like body-builder weight, but my hands are starting to get callouses. I just feel awkward about using gloves because I feel like people would think "oh, he thinks he's so cool...he's got the gear and everything".

Obviously, yes, I shouldn't care what others think, but the fact that I know that doesn't change how I think.

Gloves won't totally prevent callouses but they do help keep them from turning into sharp shards of steel that rip your wife's back when you try to give her a massage. I wear gloves if I'm gripping those diamond pattern etched bars. Yes, I even do dead lifts with gloves and it doesn't make me drop the bar. No shame in wearing them if you want to. Some guys never do and some do. It's personal preference. One of the guys I was working out with last night wears them and he's MASSIVE. Gloves won't keep your muscles from growing and that's the bottom line.

People need to stop worrying about what everyone else in the gym is wearing. This isn't a fashion show. If I'm wrong tell me and I might actually comb my hair before I do cardio in the morning. I hope it's not affecting my running.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Always when lifting!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I wear a giant chrome codpiece with a flashing LED on the end.
    No one notices the gloves.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Reminds me of Ben Stiller in Dodgeball!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I always wear gloves, and I'm not like some amazing body builder or anything. It actually helps my grip and call me a pansy or whatever, but one ripped callous from deadlifts and it was either wear gloves or no more heavy lifting. Clearly, I chose the gloves. I can do pain from muscle soreness or challenging my body, I can not do pain from ripping skin. No thanks. Besides, I'm often complimented on what soft hands I have. I don't know why, but I like that. But....I'm a chick.

I see guys in the gym wearing gloves all the time, I don't really care either way. Some don't, some do, personal preference. Whatever helps you out and feels better is what I'd suggest.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Try using Bag Balm to reduce callouses, that stuff is magical for skin.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Gloves have nothing to do with how heavy you are lifting. It's about comfort. If you think they will help your hands give them a try. If you don't like it, take it off. It's not like you are wearing a tutu.

FWIW I always wear them when lifting. It helps my grip and keeps my hands from hurting. I also see plenty of men wearing them in gym.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Just bought a pair earlier today to prevent callouses. Don't worry about what they say/think. When their hands look all busted up, yours will be smooth and sexy :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I always wear glove as do all the "guys" at the gym. I do make sure to take off my rings though, they get all bent up from the weights.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    Gloves are a waste of time and money.

Callouses are caused by the way you grip the bar;

If you hold the bar in your palm it will naturally slip down (or up if you are doing pull ups etc) towards your fingers creasing the skin and causing the callouses.

Grip the bar where it normally ends up (where the callouses form) and you will reduce the chances of getting callouses and improve your grip.

If you can find the video by Mark Rippletoe showing this then it becomes very clear - unfortunately I can't find it right now.

^^^ this. ditch the gloves unless you plan on going a few rounds on the punching bag.
  • barbaracoffing
    barbaracoffing Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair, and they have grips built in, and they do seem to help!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I don't wear them for the sake of preventing callouses, but I have been considering using them because my forearms and hands sweat so much while I'm working out that my palms stay soaked, and it often causes me to nearly lose my grip. I've had a couple of close calls recently. I've got a pair at home that have open finger tips so as not to impede my sense of touch, but they keep the palms dry.

I have problems with very sweaty hands too. Use chalk, it keeps them dry and allows you to maintain a solid grip.