Please recommend protein powders that don't taste like a**

Options
1235»

Replies

• thomasjbrock
    thomasjbrock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid it all tastes like crap. I use muscle milk premade shakes. I buy it at Costco because it's cheap. I hate Vanilla, I can tolerate chocolate, but cookies and cream, and butterscotch are pretty good. I've had a gastric sleeve so I'm pretty much stuck having to drink this stuff a couple times a day. I had the butterscotch in the hospital and it was by far the best. I just can't find it anywhere. Good luck
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I wondered if unflavored even existed...where do they sell it or what brand is it??

I ordered mine from Nature's Best. A Uk online supplier. I know some other brands offer it too. After tasting the unflavoured I really can't figure out why there is such a need to change it with horrible artificially sickly sweet flavours. It's bland but not at all horrible imo and managed to drink it easy enough, was heaven compared to the expensive flavoured muck!

But maybe that's just my taste buds!
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the all the recommendations! I have a great list of powders to try out!

As people suggested, probably the best idea is to try samples. I live out in the sticks so it's hassle to get anywhere that would have samples, but a lot of companies will mail you some if you ask. I'd actually be willing to pay a little bit for samples. It sucks having a $35 container of protein powder I won't use!

It really sounds like chocolate > vanilla in the world of protein powders so I'll have to just deal with that and mostly try the chocolate ones. I'd rather have choc flavored if it doesn't taste awful.

And to the guy who suggested I grow a pair and just buck up and drink stuff that doesn't taste good - sheesh! Do you boil all of your food and eat it unseasoned? I bet not. What's wrong with putting a little effort into finding something enjoyable as well as nutritious?!

Last thing: if anyone is looking for a good single serving blender, I recommend the Cuisinart SmartPower. It's got the highest watt motor I could find (350 watts, better than Magic Bullet) and crushes ice on pulse with no problems at all.
  • thomasjbrock
    thomasjbrock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Torani sugar free caramel flavored surup is the cure. I just found this stuff and it can turn the worst protein shakes into something good. I went 6 months choking down everybodies favorite protein powder. A cap full of this stuff and all the stuff you didn't like becomes really good. It's cheap and can fix the worst of the worst. It's usually around the coffee section. I've put it in chocolate and vanilla. I put the protein powder, water, and an ice cube in the blender and it works. I also use Silk chocolate soy milk instead of water sometimes. I couldn't believe soy milk would be good, but it's actually pretty good. Hang in there and get creative. Good luck
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just got my first batch of this today. Not too bad! I drank the chocolate kind with almond milk. Next time I will blend it with some frozen berries.

http://www.unikeyhealth.com/product/Whey_Protein
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Bean GNC lean shake. Sooo yummy.
  • kdtink
    kdtink Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Torani sugar free caramel flavored surup is the cure. I just found this stuff and it can turn the worst protein shakes into something good. I went 6 months choking down everybodies favorite protein powder. A cap full of this stuff and all the stuff you didn't like becomes really good. It's cheap and can fix the worst of the worst. It's usually around the coffee section. I've put it in chocolate and vanilla. I put the protein powder, water, and an ice cube in the blender and it works. I also use Silk chocolate soy milk instead of water sometimes. I couldn't believe soy milk would be good, but it's actually pretty good. Hang in there and get creative. Good luck

This may be the best advice ever! Torani makes tons of flavors with "speciality" flavors around the holidays (think nutmeg, pumpkin spice, peppermint, and egg nog flavors) so keep your eyes peeled for something new to shake up your protein drinks. I like almond milk too for something new. It makes things so much easier when you enjoy what you are putting into your body instead of just forcing it.
  • 5 Reasons to take NutriMeal Meal Replacement

1. Yummy no chalky taste - rich & creamy
    2. Lose Weight
    3. No Craving for Simple Carbs (Certified Low Glycemic)
    4. Cost Effective ($2.66 per meal)
    5. Optimum Nutrition (Gluten FREE)
    It's changed my life. I lost 40lbs. Here is the website: www.pamelarichard.usana.com
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I wondered if unflavored even existed...where do they sell it or what brand is it??

I ordered mine from Nature's Best. A Uk online supplier. I know some other brands offer it too. After tasting the unflavoured I really can't figure out why there is such a need to change it with horrible artificially sickly sweet flavours. It's bland but not at all horrible imo and managed to drink it easy enough, was heaven compared to the expensive flavoured muck!

But maybe that's just my taste buds!

I ordered unflavored from Jay Robb. I couldn't drink it as is. I find the whey powder has a smell that turns my stomach, and it didn't go away when mixed in water, milk, yogurt, any of the usual mixers. But, if I added water or milk, instant espresso, and cinnamon to it, then it was OK. Not good. Just OK.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My favorites:

metabolic nutrition Protizyme in Peanut Butter
    Phase 8 or Anabolic Halo by Muscle Tech
    BodyTech whey tech pro 24