Any LOTR geeks here?

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
I'm dying to watch all three extended versions of Lord of the Rings but can't find anyone to do it with.

I was just curious, how many other MFP members LOVE this series (books and/or movies)?

I mean...my old car even had a liscense plate that said "GOLLUM"

Replies

• lifechange12
    lifechange12 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Definitely! Both my kids are too. We keep talking that someday we will have a LOTR marathon day!
    Love me some Legolas!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    At risk of getting mauled to death by a mob of angry geeks I'll say I prefer the movies over the books.

Don't get me wrong, I comprehend the zeitgeist-changing innovations the books brought to fantasy literature, but personally, I can only read a limited number of awfully written hobbit poems in one sitting...
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    My family loves LOTR! We even have a Tolken class as a theology elective for seniors at the high school my husband and I work.
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I LOVE them both....equally. I've read and watched them more times than anyone probably would care to.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Movies were awesome, except for the the parts that involved LOTS of walking . My husband (a HUGE tabletop gamer and fantasy fiction nerd) and I affectionately refer to those parts as "Hobbits go hiking" or "Hobbits go camping." Other than that, they did a pretty solid job with the films. :)

We're eagerly awaiting for The Hobbit movie. :)
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Actually re-reading the series now (almost finished with The Two Towers) and cannot wait for the Hobbit movie. I really liked the LOTR movies, understanding they had to change a few things around so they wouldn't be 6 hours each.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Definitely! Both my kids are too. We keep talking that someday we will have a LOTR marathon day!
    Love me some Legolas!

Hahahaha...I'm a Frodo fan myself...book and movie.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    At risk of getting mauled to death by a mob of angry geeks I'll say I prefer the movies over the books.

Don't get me wrong, I comprehend the zeitgeist-changing innovations the books brought to fantasy literature, but personally, I can only read a limited number of awfully written hobbit poems in one sitting...

LoL...I enjoy the books, but I almost prefer the movies (and I DID read the books first)...on the one hand (just like the Harry Potter movies), reading the books gives you some background so you might get some things that aren't described very well in the movies....on the other hand, unlike the Harry Potter books, the LOTR series had a LOOOOTTTT of detail. I mean....I love Tolkein, but he would spend a page and a half describing a tree...
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Actually re-reading the series now (almost finished with The Two Towers) and cannot wait for the Hobbit movie. I really liked the LOTR movies, understanding they had to change a few things around so they wouldn't be 6 hours each.

I'm excited too! Probably gonna hit the midnight showing for that.
  • daughterofthesea
    daughterofthesea Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Not a geek as such, but I do love the films!
  • coolasafan
    coolasafan Posts: 75
    Options
    This guy.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I read and promptly blocked out most of the book material - found myself skimming more than reading. I'm totally impressed that JT came up with such magnifcent new worlds, but he did go on. and on. and on.

I dig the movies, though I have to agree with Randall from Clerks 2 in this one point - there's a bit too much walking for my short-attention span, but eyefuls like Legolas and Aragorn made it all survivable ;)
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I recently say it at our local arts centre, the orchestra and choir were doing the score. Fabulous!!
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    I have the extended versions and I have a LOTR marathon at LEAST once a month! Can't wait to see The Hobbit...I grew up watching the animated series. I've also read the books as a kid.
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I love the books and films so much my daughter is named after Princess Eowyn.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Does having a tattoo from Tolkien's Children of Hurin count?!

yep, im a full blown LOTR nerd
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Love me some Legolas!

this, when i was 12 :)
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Ahhh I was just thinking of watching these this weekend!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I wore costumes to the premiers. So yes. ;)
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Does having a tattoo from Tolkien's Children of Hurin count?!

yep, im a full blown LOTR nerd

Prove it!