Options
13»

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    3 months = 12 weeks
    12 pounds in 12 weeks = 1 pound per week

You are RIGHT on target. You are losing weight steadily in a way you'll be able to keep it off easily.

Be happy. You are the poster child for steady weight loss right now!
  • babesintow
    babesintow Posts: 59
    Options
    For the last three months I've been doing Myfitnesspal with my daughter and husband and it's been a really SLOW process!! I've lost 12 pounds in the almost 3 months and yes I'm really sticking to my calories and doing exercise as much as possible..Is this good??Any feedback or Am I just worried for no reason??

A pound a week is great! Congratulations on your progress!

The closer you get to your goal weight the more that number will slow down so you will have to work a bit harder. It sounds like you have a lot of support at home while many other members do not. Many of us have small children at home which we all know that equals junk food! or spouses that are less than helpful. I know sometimes we feel like they would just say anything to avoid hurting our feelings but take their word for it, you are right on track!!!!

Congrats again!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Unless you're over 200lbs, a pound a week is average.

What do you mean by this?! Should you expect to lose more being over 200? I weighed over 200 and lost the first 25 lbs pretty easy, then a few more slowly.. And now that I'm under 200 it's.. Not.. Working... Anymore!! Ugh. >_<!!

I don't know if I need to lower my calorie intake, raise it.. I don't know how this works!!

***Sorry if I'm stealing your thread OP, great work!! 12 pounds is great!***

The more you have to lose, the easier it is to lose those first pounds.

Have you entered your new weight into your profile and recalculated your recommended calories? Although MFP does this every 10 pounds, it doesn't always do it automatically. But if you go in and manually tell it to recalculate, you'll get a new calorie recommendation. The less you weight, the fewer calories you get because the less body mass you have to support.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    A pound a week seems good to me. Are you close to goal?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You are losing a pound a week. Seems normal and perfectly right to me. Considering you are not morbidly obese expecting to lose more than 1-1.5 pounds a week is setting yourself up for dissapointment.

:)
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    That's actually the rate of weight loss that I'm aiming for: 1 pound lost per week (12 pounds in 3 months).

So I say to that: Congrats on your success! Great job!
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I "only" lost 6 pounds in 30 days... and it's too slow to me. But like some said: Your are losing, not gaining. So we have to continue our hard work and we will see our goals faster than we think.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming at 1 pound a week so that means I will lose 12 pounds in three months. The slower you lose, the more apt you are to keep it off because you are probably changing your eating habits for the better. I have done fad diets in the past and usually put any weight I lose right back on. In addition to MFP I'm also seeing a nutritionist. My aim is to have a healthy diet for the long term.
  • siwelh
    siwelh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That is still 12 pounds that is no longer on your body. A pound a week is nothing to be disappointed by!

And generally when weight comes off slower, it's because you are doing it healthier and in a way that will last, rather than losing weight quickly, returning to old patterns and ending up with the same body. (Actually, to be honest, I have no idea if this part is true. It makes sense to me, though).

Anyway, good job and don't give up!

I agree with this. If you are eating clean, working out (I highly recommend strength training, btw) and going at the lb a week pace, you are losing the RIGHT weight- the fat weight. Those who starve or work out too much and/or don't eat clean might lose more for awhile, but they will lose muscle, and in the end, the weight will come back and be replaced with fat. It sounds like you are right on- a lb a week is awesome.

I've been there- it feels so slow, but it is so worth it!

Finally, I found measuring monthly really helped me. There were months that I only lost a few lbs, but went down a full size. It's not all about the pounds!

keep at it!
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be losing 1lb a week. Over that same 12 week period I've lost 8. At this rate I won't reach my goal for another year but I WILL reach it. Eventually. And that's what's most important to me - not the speed despite being as frustratingly and de-motivationally slow as it is.
  • ILoveYouZandT
    ILoveYouZandT Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Unless you're over 200lbs, a pound a week is average.

What do you mean by this?! Should you expect to lose more being over 200? I weighed over 200 and lost the first 25 lbs pretty easy, then a few more slowly.. And now that I'm under 200 it's.. Not.. Working... Anymore!! Ugh. >_<!!

I don't know if I need to lower my calorie intake, raise it.. I don't know how this works!!

***Sorry if I'm stealing your thread OP, great work!! 12 pounds is great!***

The more your body composition changes (body fat/ muscle...etc) the more your body's needs change. It is a good idea to take a honest look at you diet and exercise program. Make sure you are working just as hard as you were when you were 200 lbs. Some people slack off without realizing it...not saying you have...just putting that out there because it does apply to some people.

Also if you were over 200 at some point...do you have special health concerns? Have you stayed in touch with your doctor? I know people like to avoid going to the doctor because it can feel shameful, not enough money, general fear or lack of a quality doctor. Losing weight however easy it may be for some it can be a real struggle for others, diabetes, hormone imbalance or asthma can certainly slow things down even more. Some people will use this as a crutch but if treated it shouldn't prevent anyone from losing weight...just might take longer.

You didn't discuss what your exercise routine is??? Are you weight training??? How much cardio are you doing per day/week??? The more you do the same routine the easier it feels to you right?!...it is a sign that your body needs more. In the beginning you can increase the time and resistance of your cardio and increase the weights that you lift...BUT there comes a point where that is not enough. If this is where you are at, CHANGE what you are doing. If your body knows your workout routine better than you, your not going to see the changes you want.

Personally, I struggled to get moving in the right direction. I wondered around the gym thinking I know how to workout and didn't need any help. I may have built some muscle but I didn't lose a pound for 6 months. I was extremely frustrated and wanted to give up. I HIGHLY recommend anyone and everyone talk to the trainers at your gym!!!!!! They are there to point you in the right direction and some advice is free. Many people are worried about paying more money but you will get what you pay for. My gym offered to set up a weight training program for me free of charge and it has been since then that the weight has changed. A few months in I hesitated but I paid for an additional program and have really started melting away that last hard to lose 15 pounds.

Message boards are for emotional support and they are great when that is what you need. They help me find motivation to get to the gym when I would rather not. But sometimes we need more than that, there are a few trainers that post here from time to time...however you will get more of what you need by asking one to walk you through a workout. They will see if you have issues with form, weight or reps...they can talk to you about your diet and they will be honest with you...nothing else makes them look good but your success! I am sooooo happy I talked to mine. I have reached a weight I didn't think I would see again and I feel so much better.

Good luck to you, I hope you get over the hump and get your weight moving again!

(I am currently doing a circuit training program, burning about 1000 calories, takes about an 60-90 mins...wanted to add that in case you wanted an idea of something different to do)

Thank you! My health care provider took a few months off unexpectedly right after I started and is not back. And I don't have anyone else to talk to. But no, no underlying health issues to speak of. I probably am slacking because I'm frustrated that what I was doing before is no longer working. I don't think I'm doing enough exercise, I'm only doing the 30 day shred as of right now. I definitely don't know my way around the gym. And I just focus on cardio really.. I think I'm going to try lowering my calories, which sucks because really I'm still hungry even with the amount I have now haha.
  • sophielilirose
    Options
    Thats really good, you're more likely to keep it off it you do it steadily :-) Its taken me 5 months to lose 28lbs & its so much healthier for you to lose it slowly than lose loads and then regain :-)
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Stop focusing so much on the scale. I cannot emphasize this enough. If you're trying to lose fat, take your measurements each morning. This will give you a better idea of how you're progressing. You can stay the same weight but see a steady decrease in inches by losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously.
  • LiZzie1917
    LiZzie1917 Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm a yoyo. Up down, need to make a change to get passed this plateau
  • LiZzie1917
    LiZzie1917 Posts: 65
    Options
    Where is the "Like" button? :flowerforyou: