Do you bring your babies to the restaurant?

Options

Replies

• kenyajae
    kenyajae Posts: 48
    Options

I think it is rude for parents to think just because they have a baby and want it with them at all times that everyone else wants to hear their kids throwing a fit. Sorry I don't want to hear it.

That's a fact.

Fully agree.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The worst is when the child is screaming and everyone else notices but the parents are either ignoring it or not doing anything about it.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    its got nothing to do with the baby, its the parent
    if the baby cries, you remove him
    i have always gotten compliments on my childrens behavior in restaunts
    and they have been in restraunts alot more expensive than $25.00 a person
    its called teaching them manners
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If I took my baby (he's 15 now - long past the crying stage) and he was crying I would certainly make an effort to get him to stop - and away from the other diners! There's just no excuse. I hate to see that even in a store or on the street. You had the baby - take care of it!! That is a whole other rant though....

Even in a family restaurant I expected my kid to behave.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If you have a quite, well behaved baby or child I don't see the problem. If you know your baby is going to scream the whole time, then be respectful of the people around you and simply do not bring your child. If your baby does start to act up, go outside.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My kids have gone to high class places. They don't misbehave, because they know where they are and how they're meant to act. Even as little babies I tried to make sure they had enough attention and stimulation so they weren't fussy and didn't disrupt other people.
    I know though that the moment they do I will first try to calm them down, then I will warn them, and then I will simply leave. I choose to bring my children into places that required a certain behaviour pattern, and if my kids are ruining it for all the other people in there, then I will be the one to leave because it's simply not fair for one to irritate loads of others.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I took my baby out but she never cried, she was always sleeping. If she had started having issues then I would have left. Especially in an upscale resturant.

Now as an almost 5 yr old, my daughter knows to speak quietly, not to be turned around bugging people.

I don't want to listen to other peoples children either. Make them behave and if they can't then you need to leave. You should not be allowed to let your children run around the resturant. EVER!
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I HATE that. There is nothing more unpleasant than a screaming child in the same room while you're trying to enjoy a meal, movie, company, etc. And like you said, the parents just ignore it! If you're going to bring your screaming infant, at least have the decency to stand up, take them out of the room, and soothe them until they stop hollering. Same applies to any child who parents let run like freaking banchees around a place.....take control, people!
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I was at a sushi place and there was a screaming child somewhere behind me, but not directly. My friend mentioned something to me and I turned around for a minute to see what was going on because a lady was talking loudly. It turned out to be the mother and she wasn't moving from her seat as her child was screaming. I turned around for a second and she snapped at me saying "What are you looking at?!" I didn't say a word to her or make a face. I could have just stayed seated facing the front, but I didn't see a reason for her to be yelling back at me. She never took her kid outside who continued to scream. I think the manager had to come over and talk to her. I don't have kids myself, but I try to be understanding as much as possible.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    We took our daughter out to eat when she was little but only to places that were family oriented. If she started crying one of us would take her outside if we could not calm her down.

If it is a more expensive place then I would say it is not appropriate to bring children (unless they are at an age where they can control their behavior in public)

That being said, I feel for the managers, they really can't do much about the situation. If you ask the people to leave, you have irate people on your hands that will scream to everyone they know about their horrible experience.

Then the people that are being interrupted are going to complain and expect discounts. Lose/lose for the management. :frown:
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It's not even about the rest of the patrons, because frankly I couldn't care less. It's about the fact that clearly your child is unhappy, and you should try to solve the problem, since young babies don't cry unless there's a reason. And sometimes, that reason is simply that they dont' want to be in a busy restaurant because they're feeling stressed and need some quiet time.

^^ don't really care how your experience is, but if my baby is screaming I will tend to her and make sure she is ok

Sorry but i gotta agree. Baby needs first. That being said...we were very considerate when we take our kids places. Of Course my kids learn early that screaming or crying in a resturaunt (no matter how fancy) is not tolerated.
  • laurenbausch
    laurenbausch Posts: 146
    Options
    This is my pet peeve. I can't stand crying kids at restaurants! I'll ask to be moved to the other side of the restaurant if I have to. I usually am guilty of the loud sighing and eye rolling too, and my husband is just as bad. I know this is a major annoyance for me, so I usually sit at the bar whether I'm drinking or not. This usually helps. Most parents don't want to bring babies that close to booze. I know I lack the patience for kids, so I'm not planning on having any. My chihuahua even irritates the mess out of me.

*If your child is being a nuisance to everybody else, get your food to go!
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    We took our daughter out to a fancy restaurant when she was a couple of months old - we were there with a friend. I remember clearly because while she usually was very good in restaurants at that point (usually the noise put her to sleep), on this occasion she became upset and my husand and I took turns with her out in the lobby area, trying to get her soothed and settled down. She did calm down and settle back to sleep, at which point all of us were able to finish dinner together. I never would have dreamed of letting her scream in the dining room with the other guests, regardless of if I was at a fine dining establishment or if I was at a Red Robin...
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am a single mother, so my daughter goes with me everywhere I go, I do not believe that just because you have children means that you cannot enjoy what you like to do. The difference here is: I like to teach my daughter how to behave in all sorts of places, she understands that when at a restaurant she is to sit and color quietly or chat with the adults. I think it is important for children to learn how to behave, and this is a parents responsibility.

Just because you have kids does not mean you have to only go to 'kid friendly places' that is a load of crap, it is the parents job to TEACH the child how to behave... the problem is with entitlement these days....

However, if my baby was screaming or my child was acting up, we have NO problem leaving immediately. I have taken my daughter out to the car in the past (around age 2 or 3) and explained to her why she cannot act a certain way. I am happy to say that at age 5 my daughter can be expected to behave in adult places.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    The problem isn't the baby. Any diner who is loud, whose cries are carrying beyond their table should take it outside -- regardless of their age.

This goes true for babies, drunks, people on cell phones, and the table of loud adults I was seated next to when I last went out.

And any diner who is subjected to the noise should make a polite inquiry of their server that they be moved to a different table.
    And the server with a noisy table, should either have the manager speak to the loud table, or offer new tables to the nearby diners subjected to the noise.

I've seen plenty of quiet babies at nice restaurants, sleeping away. And I've sat near plenty of loud, bellowing/shrieking adults who either had hearing damage, or maybe thought their job was to entertain the whole room.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I take my kids out to eat all the time. For the most part they know how to behave because I've taught them manners. When they act up the behavior gets corrected. Once I couldn't get my son to stop and there wasn't a single server around to give me my check. Long story short, due to issues beyond my control it took 10 minutes to get my check, pay and leave. I felt bad that my kid caused a disruption, but it wasn't like I just allowed the behavior to happen. You can't judge people because you don't know both sides to the situation.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Babies should only be brought if they are part of the main course.

baby2.jpg
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I do take my children most everywhere I go. They are 3 and 4 years old and are very well behaved (because I make sure of that). If there is an outbreak of temper, it is quickly taken care of in the restroom. Parents are supposed to take care of their children and not subject other people to them:bigsmile:
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Well, Legal Seafoods can average $25ish per plate for dinner but I still eat there with my children. They do have a children's menu (a very good one.) That said I would never sit and eat while my kid screams and disturbs everyone. We'd leave. I don't think it's appropriate to allow a child to scream and yell in any restaurant, whether it be a "family friendly" one or a "fancy" one. My kids are good in restaurants, though, so it's never been a problem. We started bringing them out to lunch/dinner when they were very young so they know what's up.

We also hit restaurants with the kids a bit earlier than we would if it were just DH and i. I don't need to be in any restaurant with two overly starving children when a bunch of other adults are there for a quiet date night. That would be a recipe for distaster.
  • BrandiH2007
    BrandiH2007 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old. I do take them to restaurants, but the 3 year old is expected to act appropriately. I have had to take her out side and explain that we are in public and you do not act that way, if it happens again we leave. I've never had to leave. I also try to keep crayons and paper in my purse to occupy her while we wait. I don't take either child if they haven't napped, are cranky, etc.

I feel everyone has the right to eat in a peaceful setting with or without kids. Just as I expect as a parent that a non-parents rude loudness not disrupt my family's meal.

All that being said as a mom of 2 if I am going to a place that is $25 a plate, I'm going without the kids so I can completely enjoy my meal.