Cold weather runners

Options
tabbydog
tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
As the weather gets colder (28F this morning) I wonder if there are many people who continue to run outside in the winter. I am currently doing c25k and want to continue. I read an article in Alaska magazine last winter about a running group there who run when it is -20F and colder! I won't be running on a treadmill as the nearest gym is 15 miles away, and I can't go right after work b/c I need to get home and feed the horses right after work. So, it is outside running for me. Anyone interested? :bigsmile:

Replies

• RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I've done plenty of runs -20 and it's kinda fun....but dangerous. I'll ride my bike down to 10 degrees F, so I am about as crazy as they come. :noway: :noway: I live in Iowa and we have no shortage of cold, but it's actually one of my favorite times to run. You can ALWAYS dress to stay warm.

Some simple points:
    > Dress as if it is 20 degrees warmer. Example, if it's 40, dress for what would be cozy at 60, etc...
    > Heat leaves the body thru hands and head, use gloves and hat to regulate temp

I'll try to write a guide for what to wear for each temp, but gonna go get some zzzz's because I have an early flight in the morning. Send me an email in a few days to remind me if I forget.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I just did W4D1 of C25K in a 45 F drizzle. I plan to keep on running through the winter. My target for my first 5K is Dec 12th. I kind of have a screw loose too.

i wore my Mt Bora biking shorts, some under amour, and a hoodie. I found the hood was an excellent tempurature regulator. I have some other cold weather Mt Bike stuff that I will use as the temp drops.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The challenges of outdoor running (other than potentially insecure footing) are: wind and moisture. The body generates a LOT of heat, so usually insulation is of secondary importance. What will cause rapid loss of body heat is moisture (i.e. perspiration) and wind.

An effective layering system is essential. IMO, an outdoor runner should not have a shred of cotton anywhere on his or her body. It's not like the "good ol' days" when you had to wear silk or wool or go to some exotic mail-order catalog for some exotic (but smelly) new-fangled material called polypropelene.

There are way too many excellent technical fabrics out there to suffer with cotton t shirts or sweat shirts. All types of base and mid layers in varying thicknesses, and lots of different outer layers as well. You can go with the traditional wind /waterproof , but breathable fabric like Gore Tex (and numerous others) and/or a wind and water resistant (but not waterproof) fleece outer jacket. A nonbreathable outer shell (e.g. nylon windbreaker) will keep perspiration from evaporating and actually cause you to become more chilled.

Experiment with different combinations. From what I see, more runners make the mistake of OVERdressing rather than underdressing.

And of course the hat and gloves are a must. If you run outside a lot, you should also consider putting vaseline on your face to avoid chapped skin.

Three other things to keep in mind (only two for females). One is footwear. Many people overinsulate their feet. This can have two negative effects: extra insulation leads to more rapid loss of heat through increased perspiration and stuffing feet with extra socks into your regular shoes leads to increased compressed and restricted blood flow. If you a regular runner, you should have ditched your cotton socks long ago, but if not, now is definitely the time. If you feel you need a little extra insulation, I have found that a lightweight wool hiking sock works very well. You want a sock with some decent loft, but a fairly loose weave.

Second is safety. It's not as big a deal now when everyone has a cell phone, but it's often best to either carry an extra layer or plan your route so that you are never that far from your car or house (do laps or a figure-8 course). If you are dressed for running and twist an ankle, or slip and fall on the ice and can no longer run, you can find yourself in a potentially dangerous predicament. I learned this the hard way one night when I was running in -5 degree (F) weather. I was about 2 mi from my house when I turned an ankle and had to walk/limp back home (pre cell phone days). I was wearing just a Gore Tex jacket, thin polypro turtleneck and running tights. I was toasty warm as long as I was moving, but it took almost 30 min to walk back home and I was mildly hypothermic when I arrived.

Guys also need to be aware of their little buddy. We used to call some days "three sock" days.

Running outdoors year round can not only help keep up your fitness, but I think it gives you a tremendous sense of power and self-confidence as well--like the idea that *nothing* can stop you.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida so I really can't relate to sub zero temps it does get in the 30's here I actually prefer running in colder weather I have bettere endurance when it gets cold
  • katie517
    katie517 Posts: 159
    Options
    I have been running indoors lately. I'm in Michigan and it has been pretty nippy lately. I don't mind the cold, but I was told that when you run in the cold you are breathing in cold air which is hard on your lungs. Is this true? I have trouble breathing through my nose (deviated septum) so I am breathing "colder" air to begin with.
  • Azdak
    Options
    I have been running indoors lately. I'm in Michigan and it has been pretty nippy lately. I don't mind the cold, but I was told that when you run in the cold you are breathing in cold air which is hard on your lungs. Is this true? I have trouble breathing through my nose (deviated septum) so I am breathing "colder" air to begin with.

Actually a good question that I forgot to mention earlier.

Your body is actually pretty good at bringing inspired air to standard temperature, moisture and pressure conditions before it gets into your lungs. Given the much deeper breathing required during running, some individuals can experience issues during extreme temperature conditions (during which times, you shouldn't be running outside anyhow). If you have any concerns, wearing a light, loosely weaved scarf to cover your face usually takes care of thins and still allows you to breathe (at least until the big chunk of ice forms in front of your mouth ;-)

Cold air can provoke asthma attacks or arrhythmias in some people, but they are usually folks who have an underlying problem to begin with. Obviously, if you are unsure, use common sense to expose yourself gradually to the increasingly colder temperatures.
  • katie517
    katie517 Posts: 159
    Options
    Thanks Azdak! I just bought some UA cold weather gear and now I'm confident to try it out.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Bumpin to read later
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    That's good stuff Azdak. I spend a lot of time outside NOT running, so i just figure the same outdoor safety stuff applies.

I will second the wind burn thing. I went camping this weekend. And I while it wasn't cold, the High's were only in the mid-fifties and cloudy. Surprisingly I forgot about the sunscreen and I have the worst sunburn on my face that I have had all year.

And help me out with the socks. What kind of socks should I be wearing when running? I have the hiking socks, but my cotton athletic socks are a lot more comfortable.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    As the weather gets colder (28F this morning) I wonder if there are many people who continue to run outside in the winter. I am currently doing c25k and want to continue. I read an article in Alaska magazine last winter about a running group there who run when it is -20F and colder! I won't be running on a treadmill as the nearest gym is 15 miles away, and I can't go right after work b/c I need to get home and feed the horses right after work. So, it is outside running for me. Anyone interested? :bigsmile:

I run outside in the winter. I really have to talk myselfinto it, but I find once I am out there I am so glad I did it!:smile:
  • tabbydog
    Options
    Yes, I second that, what kind of socks?

Right now I am just wearing my regular clothes, and probably will until it gets below 25 or so, after that I have winter horseback riding clothes, fleece riding tights and fleece thermal shirts and jackets that I can wear that keep me toasty when riding a horse down to about 0F. I like running in the cold. That said, I was supposed to run this morning, and it was 33F and POURING. Needless to say, I decided to wait and try it tonight. I draw the line at running in the rain at about 45F.

My biggest worry is traction. What do you do about that? I live on a gravel road, it is nearly always snow covered in the winter, which when hard packed becomes quite slick. Do they make special shoes?

I had to giggle about guys and their little buddies. Who'd have thought? They are inside the pants with the rest of the stuff. They don't stay warm enough?? LOL :laugh:
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    Running outdoors year round can not only help keep up your fitness, but I think it gives you a tremendous sense of power and self-confidence as well--like the idea that *nothing* can stop you.

I noticed this when you do anything outside in less than perfect conditions, especially running.

Nothin better than sitting at your desk listening to other people complain about the weather. You just smile to yourself and call them a bunch of wusses under your breath.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Thanks Azdak, and everyone who posted advice. I fully intend to keep running outdoors this winter. I'm going to purchase some trail running shoes, or do you guys recommend something else?

And I'll have to get some non-cotton clothing to wear, I just wear cut offs and t-shirts now. But I'm going to keep doing it. Years ago I used to love to cross country ski, I figure it will be something akin to that.

Fully looking forward to my first run in the falling snow.
  • Azdak
    Options

My biggest worry is traction. What do you do about that? I live on a gravel road, it is nearly always snow covered in the winter, which when hard packed becomes quite slick. Do they make special shoes?

I had to giggle about guys and their little buddies. Who'd have thought? They are inside the pants with the rest of the stuff. They don't stay warm enough?? LOL :laugh:

I have not run outside in the snow for a few years now --probably after I had my second knee surgery--and before the advent of trail running shoes. Whether those would help or not, I don't know--you might have to research that futher.

In the "old days" the only choices were womens panty hose (or ballet tights), sweatpants, or expensive Gore Tex pant. We often went down into the 20s while still only wearing running shorts. Even when polypro long underwear became available, that was still only one thin layer. On a windy day, that's not much. I finally got a pair running briefs with a windproof panel in the crotch--that helped.
  • Azdak
    Options
    That's good stuff Azdak. I spend a lot of time outside NOT running, so i just figure the same outdoor safety stuff applies.

I will second the wind burn thing. I went camping this weekend. And I while it wasn't cold, the High's were only in the mid-fifties and cloudy. Surprisingly I forgot about the sunscreen and I have the worst sunburn on my face that I have had all year.

And help me out with the socks. What kind of socks should I be wearing when running? I have the hiking socks, but my cotton athletic socks are a lot more comfortable.

Unfortunately, I can't give you a specific brand. I normally wear anklet socks made with CoolMax (the brand keeps changing)--a crew style made of the same fabric might work. For my winter socks, I have to admit I have 2 old pair of light wool hiking socks that I realize now I bought in 1990. Smart Wool is a brand that seems to have taken over the woolen socks market and I have noticed some good reviews for their products. Basically, any non-cotton workout sock should work better than an old cotton tube sock--you just might want to check some different styles for thickness or look at summer weight wool hiking socks.

What you don't want to do is wear cotton socks or wear two pair of socks for extra warmth.
  • tabbydog
    Options
    After wimping out this morning because of the freezing cold downpours, I went out tonight when I got home from work. My road is muddy. Dog and I covered, but it was clear and beautiful. Stars were out, and a comfortable 35F. Perfect! :drinker:
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    After wimping out this morning because of the freezing cold downpours, I went out tonight when I got home from work. My road is muddy. Dog and I covered, but it was clear and beautiful. Stars were out, and a comfortable 35F. Perfect! :drinker:

The family and I went on a walk over part of my route tomorrow morning. I'm going to be a muddy mess when I get done tomorrow, and I so looking forward to it.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

The family and I went on a walk over part of my route tomorrow morning. I'm going to be a muddy mess when I get done tomorrow, and I so looking forward to it.

cool! 2 different times a did a race called the muddy buddy...mtn bike and trail run race. needless to say, in order to finish the race you and your buddy had to go through a mud pit!:laugh: :tongue: :tongue:
  • tabbydog
    Options

cool! 2 different times a did a race called the muddy buddy...mtn bike and trail run race. needless to say, in order to finish the race you and your buddy had to go through a mud pit!:laugh: :tongue: :tongue:

I :heart: mud, and so does the dog! I won't be running tonight. It's Zumba night. But tomorrow I'm there! Everyone have a great day and happy mudding! :drinker:
  • BMAJK
    BMAJK Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I noticed this when you do anything outside in less than perfect conditions, especially running.

Nothin better than sitting at your desk listening to other people complain about the weather. You just smile to yourself and call them a bunch of wusses under your breath.

I'm doing that right now. I'm in Medicine Hat Alberta and we got our first big dump of snow this morning and all the women ( and some wimpy men) are walking around blabbing about the snow. OMG ppl it's just snow! And I'm sitting here wishing I could try my Trax that clip onto the bottom of your running shoes for traction. Weird how different people can be eh?