Cold weather runners

Options
2»

Replies

• tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    [And I'm sitting here wishing I could try my Trax that clip onto the bottom of your running shoes for traction. Weird how different people can be eh?

Oh, I was asking about this the other day. Where do you get them? I have seen big clunky ones for boots at LL Bean, but never sneaker ones! I know what you mean about the snow. We have been getting it here in VT too. I hate driving in it! Looking forward to running in it though.....
  • BMAJK
    BMAJK Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    [And I'm sitting here wishing I could try my Trax that clip onto the bottom of your running shoes for traction. Weird how different people can be eh?

Oh, I was asking about this the other day. Where do you get them? I have seen big clunky ones for boots at LL Bean, but never sneaker ones! I know what you mean about the snow. We have been getting it here in VT too. I hate driving in it! Looking forward to running in it though.....

I've never posted a link here before so I hope this works. http://www.yaktrax.ca/en/order.htm#traction

if not, go to yaktrax.ca for info!

you should be able to buy them at a locall Runners Soul or Running Room.
  • tabbydog
    Options
    Thanks BMAJK!
  • aeswan
    aeswan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I second the yaktrax recommendation--I wore them running last winter when I lived in Idaho where there's not a lot of shoveling/plowing that gets done. You still have to be careful (I had a pretty good wipeout one day on skating-rink quality ice crossing a road), but they help a LOT. And they're really stretchy--I have one pair that I used on both my running shoes and my big, clunky boots.

As for socks, when it gets cold I wear either one pair of thick polypropelene (sp?) hiking socks or my smart wool socks, which I love. :love:

Great info here. I'm also a big fan of running in cold weather--much more than in the heat!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Traction... simple. For snow pack a good trail shoe with aggressive tread is sufficient. But run with very careful steps and beware of footing.

For ice, or hard pack snow I recommend these strap-on steel cleats you can buy at Menards or other farm/hunting store. They are basically heavy rubber bands with metal cleats you can strap over your shoes. I've run on sheer ice and had no problems. Expect a few wierd looks.

So, please refrain from slamming me about safety, etc.... I am merely stating what I do, and have had great success with. I am 6'4" and have never fallen running, in anything. I just simply want to encourage everyone to get out of the mental "wall" that snow, or even ice means you must do the treadmill.

Raymond
  • tabbydog
    Options
    For ice, or hard pack snow I recommend these strap-on steel cleats you can buy at Menards or other farm/hunting store. They are basically heavy rubber bands with metal cleats you can strap over your shoes. I've run on sheer ice and had no problems. Expect a few wierd looks.

So, please refrain from slamming me about safety, etc.... I am merely stating what I do, and have had great success with. I am 6'4" and have never fallen running, in anything. I just simply want to encourage everyone to get out of the mental "wall" that snow, or even ice means you must do the treadmill.

Raymond

Thanks for the good info. No slamming here! You must be extra well coordinated b/c I fall at least once ever year just waking from my car to my house! And carrying water buckets to my horses. That one made me cry b/c I ended up soaking wet. Too bad for my husband that he laughed.... :grumble:

One of my biggest fears/pet peeves is ice. I HATE ice and I do not ski or skate and hate that slipping and sliding feeling. I want to continue running outside all winter, though, or at least most of it so that I can continue building my stamina, and not have to start over in the spring.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    My cold weather gear thus far:

Inner layer:
    Technical shirt, boxer briefs, athletic socks

Outer layer:
    Starter track pants and jacket that I got from walmart for the combined price of 20$
    Shoes

I also wear a hat, and never leave home without putting on chapstick because my lips get extremely dry when I run.

When we start getting to the full winter season, I'll be adding gloves, and possibly adding long johns. If my lungs bother me, I'll buy a muffler. Running in winter used to give me bronchitis, so we'll see how it goes.

The most important thing is to ENSURE that you stretch and warm up before your run. Cold bodies break more easily and I don't want to see any of you injured.
  • msarro
    Options
    My cold weather gear thus far:

Inner layer:
    Technical shirt, boxer briefs, athletic socks

Outer layer:
    Starter track pants and jacket that I got from walmart for the combined price of 20$
    Shoes

I also wear a hat, and never leave home without putting on chapstick because my lips get extremely dry when I run.

When we start getting to the full winter season, I'll be adding gloves, and possibly adding long johns. If my lungs bother me, I'll buy a muffler. Running in winter used to give me bronchitis, so we'll see how it goes.

The most important thing is to ENSURE that you stretch and warm up before your run. Cold bodies break more easily and I don't want to see any of you injured.

Raymond, that reccomendation about the cleats is priceless. Where we live there's basically a layer of ice covering the ground from november/december through march that never goes away completely. It actually had me pretty concerned. I'll look into some good trail running shoes.

Do you know if there's any that support regular running spikes? Or will I just have to get the rubber cleats?
  • denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options

What is this "muffler" you speak of??? I love running when it's cold but... Say you cut your finger, the first thing you do is put it in your mouth...You know that "tinny" taste, well, after I have been running in colder temps, I get that taste when I breathe!! I have always just figured that the cold is too hard on my lungs and that's their way of giving me *kitten* for putting them through that!! LOL :laugh:
    But like Azdak says, a thin scarf loosely over your mouth could work until the big chunks of ice form....
    What to do, what to do..... :huh:
  • msarro
    Options

What is this "muffler" you speak of??? I love running when it's cold but... Say you cut your finger, the first thing you do is put it in your mouth...You know that "tinny" taste, well, after I have been running in colder temps, I get that taste when I breathe!! I have always just figured that the cold is too hard on my lungs and that's their way of giving me *kitten* for putting them through that!! LOL :laugh:
    But like Azdak says, a thin scarf loosely over your mouth could work until the big chunks of ice form....
    What to do, what to do..... :huh:

A muffler is a scarf :) Though I've also seen things which I could best describe as the sleeve of a tshirt put over someone's head called a muffler too.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    bump for later :) getting ready for winter!

No, No, No! It was 90 and humid here today. I went swimming at lunch. Summer will never end! (Al Gore told me so)

But one day a cold front will come on down and crash my day dreaming and I'll have to dig out the winter running gear.

I plan on signing up for two more cold weather races...including one called WyCo Psycho.
  • runrgrrl
    runrgrrl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey folks...
    Winter running is par for the course if you live in Ontario!! I trained for the Boston marathon in the icy months of January and February often running in temperatures as low as -30 (-22 farenheit)!! You do get used to it but there are a couple key components!

1. DO NOT wear cotton based clothing. Opt for the dry wicking material that takes the moisture away from your skin - cotton freezes and will make you extremely cold should you need walk breaks
    2. invest in Yaktracs - or something similar. They come with either screws or chain like bottoms
    http://www.elitefeet.com/yaktrax-get-your-grip-on
    3. Wear something on your head...again, NO COTTON (just remember, cotton is wrotten!) Thermastat or other technical-fiber hats are available at specialty running stores - THESE are fantastic
    3. Pants....Classic tights are generally a polyester and Lycra blend. Looser running pants (also stretchy, but not as form-fitting as tights) are another option here. In extreme cold, tights under pants is a good layering strategy.
    4. Jacket - usually a polyester blend, serves to keep you warm, keep off wind, rain, and snow, and manage your perspiration
    5. Gloves - To keep your hands warm on a cold day. Mittens keep your hands warmer when temperatures drop below 30. When in doubt, better to take your gloves with you. They're easy to tuck in your shorts or tights.
    6. Cell phone...I never run in cold weather without my cell phone if the distance is further than 10km.

You do need to make an initial investment but your winter running clothes will last forever!! Always bring water with you (longer than 15km runs) as you may not feel thirsty in the cold but you still need to hydrate.

As a final note....I HATE THE WINTER but i love running with my other crazy friends in the ice and snow and having people in their cars looking at us like we are complete lunatics. Try it with friends, make a date for coffee and a good breaky afterwards and soon these will be your favorite runs. I am blessed to run with a big group of folks here in Toronto area and we have a blast with our winter running!!

GO FOR IT!!!
  • clipsychic
    Options
    Great info! Bumping for later.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    The only thing that kept me from running in the winters was if there was ice or snow pack all over (not that you couldn't with cleats I guess). But now that I live in Houston, TX that's never an issue. :sad: The cold is pretty easy to overcome. Some practical points to battle the cold but still pack light are:

- You really will produce a lot of body heat so to start out a little chilly is ok.
    - I dress in layers with the first layer being long-sleeved UA or other wick-away stuff up to the neck (that way you don't have to add a scarf)
    - lower body should be loose-fitting and with a 'hard' shell outer lining (no wind gets thru it)
    - for my outer layer top I like to use a very long-sleeved hoodie. That way I can pull the hoodie on when needed but flip it off once I'm warmed up. It also helps keep my earphones in. Also I can tuck my hands in the loose long sleeves when cold, but let em out when they're warm. No need to carry extra gloves & take em off half way thru.
    - I second the chapstick thing too

All in all though, I really find that my body heat really puts out. So I've learned that even if I start out a little chilly, I'll get quite warm once I'm into it so I like being able to adjust on the run without having to hassle with little extras.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    BUMP.

this was my question. i have no idea what to wear in the cold. i'm sure i have only cotton shirts and now i'm wondering if i should go out and run at all tomorrow. i'm not a fan of the cold, but would like to run tomorrow. eventually it will be 61, but i want to run in the morning when the temp will probably be in the 40s. what to do. hold off until i get the proper clothing or go for a short run in a cotton shirt. don't want to get sick either.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Natural- I think you will be ok with a short run, but as soon as you are done stretch inside in the warmth, so you don't cool don't and get cold.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Natural- I think you will be ok with a short run, but as soon as you are done stretch inside in the warmth, so you don't cool don't and get cold.

thanks nicole. i'm still researching online what to wear and where to buy it. i was thinking maybe i would just go to the gym. short run it is then. in the meantime, i will look into purchasing what i need.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    40-50 degrees long sleeved tech shirt and shorts
    30-40 degrees long sleeved tech shirt/tights maybe a headband/gloves
    20-30 degrees add a lightweight jacket to above
    10-20 degrees consider an extra pair of pants and lined jacket
    0-10 degrees extra hat, sweat pants, hooded sweat shirt with the hood up, thick snow gloves, something to protect the neck
  • rmw61111
    Options
    I would really love to keep running in the colder weather. I don't want to run on a treadmill. I'm just going to have to make myself go out there and do it. Tonight it was in the 30's and I ran/jogged, and I wasn't cold. My hands were when I started, but I never stopped and thought, 'I'm cold.'
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    and whoever said chapstick-YES!!