Replies

• sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Haha! We're splitting hairs, now. :laugh:
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Then wouldn't counting calories be the samething? I think the difference is that with anorexia it is taken to far with such a little amount of food, but when most people talk about fasting on here they are talking about fasting for a short period of time, but still getting the same amount of calories in for the day. If somebody is doing a cleanse type fast then I think the difference is self control.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Fasting alone will not make you an anorexic. But then again, it depends how people interpret fasting. If people fast based on religion beliefs or personal reasons but then resume eating normally I don't consider this anorexia.

Taken from http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/anorexia+nervosa

Diagnosis

Diagnosis of anorexia nervosa is complicated by a number of factors. One is that the disorder varies somewhat in severity from patient to patient. A second factor is that most anorectics deny that they are ill. Eventually they usually are brought to treatment by a family member. Most anorectics are diagnosed by pediatricians or family practitioners.

Anorexia nervosa is diagnosed when most of the following conditions are present:

- an overriding obsession with food and thinness that controls activities and eating patterns every hour of every day
    - the individual weighs less than 85% of the average weight for his or her age and height group and willfully and intentionally refuses to maintain an appropriate body weight
    - extreme fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even when the individual is significantly underweight.
    - a distorted self-image that fuels a refusal to admit to being underweight, even when this is demonstrably true
    - refusal to admit that being severely underweight is dangerous to health
    - for women, three missed menstrual periods in a row after menstruation has been established
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Having recovered from an ED myself, I'll just give my take... It becomes "disordered" when you are doing something IN SPITE of your health, rather than FOR it, and the focus is on the action itself (whether it be binging, purging, or fasting) rather than the result.

Not to make it fit on a bumper sticker or anything, but I would say when it's controlling you and you're not controlling it...
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Anorexics don't always fast, its different for every person.

Umm...where exactly do you get this idea from?

Yes, typically, anorexia goes hand in hand with bulimia, but that's a completely different disorder. Both are notorious to abuse laxatives and exercise excessively, but the definition of anorexia is someone who refuses to eat in order to get to a goal weight that is never 'thin enough.'

And to the OP, as a recovering ana/mia myself, I totally understand. When people talking about 'fasting,' I just roll my eyes. Completely ridiculous.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Anorexics don't always fast, its different for every person.

Umm...where exactly do you get this idea from?

Yes, typically, anorexia goes hand in hand with bulimia, but that's a completely different disorder. Both are notorious to abuse laxatives and exercise excessively, but the definition of anorexia is someone who refuses to eat in order to get to a goal weight that is never 'thin enough.'

And to the OP, as a recovering ana/mia myself, I totally understand. When people talking about 'fasting,' I just roll my eyes. Completely ridiculous.

Starving oneself can be a symptom of anorexia. Choosing not to eat for a span of time does not mean one is anorexic.

correlation-causation.jpg
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Kind of agree.

For the most part (with the exception of IF) fasting is ridiculous.

I guess you're trying to figure out at what point it becomes an ED? I think anytime you completely obssess about it and/or it causes negative effects to your health, it becomes some type of disorder.

Just my 2 cents.

So, for the record, all fasting is intermittent fasting. Otherwise, it's called death.

LOL...this really cracked me up!

I would say the difference is that when a person fasts (be it for weightloss or religious purposes or whatever), there is a starting point and a stopping point. "I'm going to fast for 24 hours then start eating again." kind of thing. I would assume (since this is not a condition I have) that an ED such as anorexia takes on a whole different life - it consumes a person. They are not going to eat until...well?? until they feel it is safe to eat and not gain weight?? IDK.

Just my two cents...
  • Rach_Gem_n_Disguise
    Rach_Gem_n_Disguise Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Being anorexic in my teens ....I have to say for me it had nothing to do with fasting. It's different for each individual. For me back then, I only consumed 20 grams of fat per day....pretty much only ate the same thing for lunch and dinner every day. I got very ill doing so. Luckily, thank God I know longer am living that lifestyle but will always have a complex about body image. That never goes away.

I also have to agree with another person who posted if you've ever had an ED, you'd know the difference between fasting and having an eating disorder. Some people fast for religious reasons, etc....doesn't mean they have an eating disorder.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Fasting is a far cry from an ED. People who fast do it to cleanse or even for religious reasons. They are doing it the healthy way and know how and when to go back to consuming the right amount of calories for their body. Someone with ED is OBSESSED - meaning they do it day in day out 24/7 365!! Its not about a 24hr or 3 day cleanse or for a religious practice - its because they have a disordered view of themselves and have an extreme need for control. Additionally, many anorexics do not "fast" they just consume very small amount of food and their caloric intake is minimal to what they "need". They consume the bare minimum just to function. Those who fast do it as a temporary means. There is a huge difference and I'm sorry but as someone in recovery to another - Im very suprsed you can't recognize the difference!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Not to make it fit on a bumper sticker or anything, but I would say when it's controlling you and you're not controlling it...

Maybe I can get it to drive my car for me, so that I can read and play on my phone during my commute!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Having recovered from an ED myself, I'll just give my take... It becomes "disordered" when you are doing something IN SPITE of your health, rather than FOR it, and the focus is on the action itself (whether it be binging, purging, or fasting) rather than the result.

Like the person who posted a topic earlier that she is going to 'fast' or not eat ANY FOOD for 10 days to lose weight for a special occasion. No regards to her health, just her vanity.
  • Jtoungate
    Jtoungate Posts: 2
    Options
    Please don't consider fasting as an option for weight loss because you will mainly lose muscle and not feed your body properly.

I've lost 25lbs since I started using this app on 5/1812. I've followed my targeted goals I set for my weight loss. To do this I have changed the amount and types of foods that I eat to reach that daily goal. I've combined various exercises such as bicycling at least 6 miles a day 6 days a week, lifting weights and calisthenics for toning alternating days and most of the time come in under my daily goal. I'm eating more than I ever thought I could and losing weight.

I understand that there is this issue in your past and would encourage you to eat healthy and exercise and you'll get to where you want to be. :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Like the person who posted a topic earlier that she is going to 'fast' or not eat ANY FOOD for 10 days to lose weight for a special occasion. No regards to her health, just her vanity.

It's not up to me to diagnose an ED, but yes that's incredibly disordered eating...
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Anorexia is very much a mental disorder as much as it is a physical one. Simply fasting does not make you anorexic more than being sad for a few days makes you depressed. Also, a lot of people don't realize this but there are actually some stringent requirements to be diagnosed with anorexia in the DSM IV.

A. A refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height (e.g. weight loss leading to a maintenance of body weight less than 85% of that expected, or failure to make expected weight gain during period of growth, leading to body weight less than 85% of that expected).

B. Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though underweight.

C. Disturbance in the way in which one's body weight or shape is experienced, undue influence of body weight or shape on self-evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight.

Specify type:

Restricting Type: During the current episode of Anorexia Nervosa, the person has not regularly engaged in binge-eating or purging behaviour (i.e. self-induced vomiting or the misuse of laxatives, diuretics or enemas)

Binge-Eating/Purging Type: During the current episode of Anorexia Nervosa, the person has regularly engaged in binge-eating or purging behaviour (i.e. self induced vomiting or the misuse of laxatives, diuretics or enemas).

Although restriction is part of anorexia it's definitely not all of it.
  • sabusby
    Options
    So, we can always tell when it's ED but not when fasting may also be ED.

I've never fasted, I don't know anything about it except all of my dietetic training taught me NOT to do it because the body is designed to process in a very particular way to solve issues for us. As a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, we NEVER endorse fasting. So, you can see where I'm coming from--fasting, in many situations, exhibits the same characteristics of ED.

So, here's what I've compiled that many people have determined matters:

Time frame
    Goal/intention (I attempted to establish in the title that it's for weight loss)
    Self control
  • sabusby
    Options
    Simply fasting does not make you anorexic more than being sad for a few days makes you depressed.

I really like this comparison.

According to the DSM criteria, are you not diagnosed until you're underweight?

I know that's when I was diagnosed but I assume you could be in the full throws of it and be diagnosed. The criteria doesn't suggest that.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry, but if you've had an ED, you should know the difference.

anorexia, bulimia, ect.. they are PROGRESSIVE psychological disorders.

a fast is wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am-i'll-try-it-and-see-how-long-i-last... a far cry from a progressive psychological disorder.

Exactly how do you think EDs start?

"I'll eat a little less today" then "I won't eat all today" then "I won't eat at all this week"

Sounds a lot like "I won't eat for as long as possible" to me.

unless you're a mental health professional or have had an ED before, i can understand how its difficult for you to understand everything that is an ED.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

a fast is wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am-i'll-try-it-and-see-how-long-i-last... a far cry from a progressive psychological disorder.

^

http://www.something-fishy.org/

I suggest anyone confused should read up on it, knowledge is power and all.

Great site for recovery, also.

exactly. :)

great info for those that don't have an understanding.
  • sabusby
    Options

Exactly how do you think EDs start?

"I'll eat a little less today" then "I won't eat all today" then "I won't eat at all this week"

Sounds a lot like "I won't eat for as long as possible" to me.

unless you're a mental health professional or have had an ED before, i can understand how its difficult for you to understand everything that is an ED.

See, but "how is fasting mentality any different?" is the question.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It's a denial thing. That's really all there is to it.