Pole dancing for fitness?

I was just wondering if anyone here has tried out pole dancing for fitness (or is thinking about it too!) there seem to be loads of classes in my area that teach it and i've always wanted to try it out but i'm a bit apprehensive, and don't know how good/beneficial it actually is...

Replies

• Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Totally sign up!
    I tried it before, can you say arms of steal?
    I don't think it is much cardio but for sure counts as strength training.
    Also very good for the ego.
  • ahelgers10
    ahelgers10 Posts: 376 Member
    I have thought about trying it too. A coworker of mine too one and she was so sore for several days after and she said it was a great workout. She might have been sore because she doesnt work out a lot. It seems like fun.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    I totally want to do it in about 35 pounds~ this should no be on a pole right now. LOL
  • daughterofthesea
    daughterofthesea Posts: 82 Member
    It sounds like fun haha
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Thanks for the replies so far! It does look like so much fun so i'd like to do it even if it wasn't the best workout...
    Although nessiechickie- I have the weakest upper body strength EVER, so i'd probably suck so much at it haha.
  • makemewannadie
    anybody else?:)
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    I'd like to try it but I'm embarrassed to do it alone... I know if I got a pole at home my husband would want me to dance on it every night! LOL At least I'd STAY in shape. LOL
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    do it do it do it!

I'm addicted and I even have one at home.

I've been poling for a year now and made incredible progress in strength and overall "tone" (I hate that word lol)
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    I encourage any lovely lady to show their stuff! That's one trick you could use to woo ANY guy
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    The closes thing I ever did was burlesque! So much fun! I'd be swinging around a pole if I had the chance!! I'd say go for it! I bet it is the best time ever!
  • love4ransom
    love4ransom Posts: 67 Member
    My sister-in-law was in great shape and bought herself a pole. She watched "How to" videos on youtube and taught herself how to do everything from climbing, spinning, flipping, and much more. She invited me over to do it with her and I was over 300lbs at the time and the weight limit on her pole was 200. I couldn't do any spins sadly but I was able to use the pole it self as a tool for weight loss. There's many techniques on how to hold the pole and walk around it and look "fluid" while doing it. There's fancy squats and bends and stretches. Over time you kind of develop your own "dance". I always left her house super sweaty from doing it. I think it's a great work out.
  • makemewannadie
    do it do it do it!

I've been poling for a year now and made incredible progress in strength and overall "tone" (I hate that word lol)

Awesome! How hard was it at the beginning, or how hard would it be for someone who (as i've said before) has no upper body strength?
    And haha eatcleanntraindirty- i'm sure my boyfriend wouldn't mind ;p he's encouraging me to go.
  • kgordon7
    kgordon7 Posts: 130 Member
    Where did you find a pole? I would like to purchase one for fitness related workouts? Also, how much did it cost?
  • megan24209
    megan24209 Posts: 23
    Very very fun! and challenging too. It's a great workout for the core and arms. It also is just great for the self esteem and self awareness.

I was nervous at first and didn't know what to expect. But it is a carefree and fun atmosphere. There were women of all shapes, sizes, and fitness levels. I sucked really badly at first .. I had literally no upper body strength and could not even touch my toes.. Most of the moves were difficult for me and didn't look right at first. Over time I have been able to increase my strength/flexibility and move up to more advanced classes.

I have been to several studios and everyone has always been incredibly nice, helpful, and always made me feel comfortable. If you are really nervous I would check out the studio before hand and just ask the people at the front about the classes to get a general feel of the atmosphere of a particular place.

It's just something new and fun to add to my fitness routine :)
  • makemewannadie
    My sister-in-law was in great shape and bought herself a pole. She watched "How to" videos on youtube and taught herself how to do everything from climbing, spinning, flipping, and much more. She invited me over to do it with her and I was over 300lbs at the time and the weight limit on her pole was 200. I couldn't do any spins sadly but I was able to use the pole it self as a tool for weight loss. There's many techniques on how to hold the pole and walk around it and look "fluid" while doing it. There's fancy squats and bends and stretches. Over time you kind of develop your own "dance". I always left her house super sweaty from doing it. I think it's a great work out.

gogospice- I LOVE burlesque! Dita Von Teese is amazing.

And love4ransom, wow that sounds impressive, I don't think I could teach it myself. I love how it's part fitness/part being sexy haha. I'm up for anything to get fitter that is fun.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Do it do it!! I've been doing it for almost 2 years, and I love it!! It's my favorite exercise. I'm a hot, sweaty mess in just a few minutes if I want to be, it's tons of fun, you build muscle and increase flexibility.

There are lots of us ladies around these forums that do pole!!

EDIT: I, too, have my own pole and use it very frequently. Cost me about $300 on amazon. There are lots of different models, and they attach to any ceiling (including vaulted). So there are lots of options!!
  • makemewannadie
    Very very fun! and challenging too. It's a great workout for the core and arms. It also is just great for the self esteem and self awareness.

I was nervous at first and didn't know what to expect. But it is a carefree and fun atmosphere. There were women of all shapes, sizes, and fitness levels. I sucked really badly at first but over time have been able to increase my strength/flexibility and move up to more advanced classes.

I have been to several studios and everyone has always been incredibly nice, helpful, and always made me feel comfortable. If you are really nervous I would check out the studio before hand and just ask the people at the front about the classes to get a general feel of the atmosphere of a particular place.

It's just something new and fun to add to my fitness routine :)

Yeah going there the first time is the scariest bit :s The one in my city is really popular, you have to book classes a few weeks in advance because they're always sold out, so that seems to be a good sign.
  • kgordon7
    kgordon7 Posts: 130 Member
    Where did you find a pole? I would like to purchase one for fitness related workouts? Also, how much did it cost?

do it do it do it!

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    do it do it do it!

Awesome! How hard was it at the beginning, or how hard would it be for someone who (as i've said before) has no upper body strength?
    And haha eatcleanntraindirty- i'm sure my boyfriend wouldn't mind ;p he's encouraging me to go.

A good instructor will teach you moves coupled with the conditioning exercises to strengthen you. The beginning is usually horizontal spins and climbs. You WILL be sore, but your body will adapt.

When I started, I was sore (and bruised lol). After you master lower levels, you move up...and become sore all over. My biggest nemesis is inversion (going upside down). It took a few months of core and upper body strength to develop, but don't worry. A good instructor will incorporate conditioning exercises so that you build that strength.

Plus, it's super fun. The satisfaction of accomplishing some of the coolest moves is a confidence builder.
  • I always said I wanted to do it. I might sign up for a class near my school this year for funsies. (;