Pole dancing for fitness?

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Where did you find a pole? I would like to purchase one for fitness related workouts? Also, how much did it cost?

do it do it do it!

I'm addicted and I even have one at home.

I've been poling for a year now and made incredible progress in strength and overall "tone" (I hate that word lol)

My pole is an X-pole from xpoleus.com....it's not cheap. A good quality pole is essential. I paid 360 for mine (it can spin as well). Well worth the cost. Its portable so I can take it wherever.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    do it do it do it!

I'm addicted and I even have one at home.

I've been poling for a year now and made incredible progress in strength and overall "tone" (I hate that word lol)

Awesome! How hard was it at the beginning, or how hard would it be for someone who (as i've said before) has no upper body strength?
    And haha eatcleanntraindirty- i'm sure my boyfriend wouldn't mind ;p he's encouraging me to go.

A good instructor will teach you moves coupled with the conditioning exercises to strengthen you. The beginning is usually horizontal spins and climbs. You WILL be sore, but your body will adapt.

When I started, I was sore (and bruised lol). After you master lower levels, you move up...and become sore all over. My biggest nemesis is inversion (going upside down). It took a few months of core and upper body strength to develop, but don't worry. A good instructor will incorporate conditioning exercises so that you build that strength.

Plus, it's super fun. The satisfaction of accomplishing some of the coolest moves is a confidence builder.

I can imagine your legs get really bruised from it! Thank you all for the advice, you're amazing.

classictoaster- I think i'll sign up for classes when uni starts (September)- start with me! :p
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    I have thought about it too :) but ya a lil spooked at the thought lol but reading the other postings it does sound like a lot of fun and I know my SO would LOVE it lol
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Yes, you do get bruised. Reality of pole dancing. But the bruises go away, and you break in the skin, and then it's ok. I get bruises whenever I learn a new inversion or climb move. But they are temporary :-)
  • firetriniti
    firetriniti Posts: 22 Member
    This is my first "real" post on MFP so to speak, but I felt compelled to reply.

Pole is AWESOME. Came back from a pole class earlier this evening in fact. I've been doing it on and off for the past 3-4 years; stopped for a year due to time commitments. Decided 2 weeks ago to finally get off my bum and just go. The good news - for any lapsed pole dancers out there - is that it really is like riding a bike. You never really forget how to do it.

As for newbies curious about pole, it's definitely a work out, and definitely be prepared to sweat, get bruises, and feel sore the next day. lindsy721 is totally right about that. But the soreness factor does depend on how hard the routine/practice is, how flexible you are, how much muscle strength you have, etc. But don't let that put you off! Nor the fact that your body might not be where you want it yet. Believe me, some of the most inspiring classmates I've met are the ones who just went for it, whatever their weight, and they were good at moves that I sucked at. It's all about finding your niche :)

For those who are really shy, not only is Youtube an excellent resource, but also consider taking online classes: http://www.verticaldance.com/index.htm. KT Coates (the founder) organised the Pole Sport World Championships held last weekend, and she's really wonderful.

Oops, rambled for too long. But hope this helps! :)
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Firetriniti- that was super helpful, thank you! It sounds like hard work but a lot of fun, i'm definitely going to give it a go. Would you recommend going once a week or more/less?
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    I got into the best shape of my life doing this after having my 3rd baby. I used muscles I never knew I had. If you are going to do it look for a certified studio. I am actually going to be putting my pole up and start again.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    I pole dance, it's a great workout, especially for upper body and abs. It's a lot of fun too. (Usually my user-pic is a pole picture, but my two foster-kittens are cuter than I am.)
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 990 Member
    I would LOVE to! But I have zero places around here that do it, and I have no room in my apartment for something like that. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get into it some day.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    I was a bit too nervous to go to classes so I bought an X-pole and have my instructor come to my apartment. You can do quite a lot while you're building your muscles. My upper body strength is the worst but I can do a lot of the spins and sexy moves without any difficulty. You'll really need to build up the arms for the climbing and inversions. That's where you have to hold yourself for a few seconds at a time to get into position. Overall, it's a really good workout. I've worn my HRM during my lessons and burn on average 380-430 calories in one hour depending on what I'm doing.
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Go for it!! I actually teach pole dance fitness...its amazing for upper body strength, core strength, and flexibility. The way we teach at our studio is not aerobic, but other than that it is an excellent workout. You should see my arms!
  • firetriniti
    Glad to help! :)

I go once a week, but once you get hooked, I know people who stay for back-to-back lessons or go more times. I count the pole class as strength training, but honestly, it's def a good way of simply burning a decent amount of calories in a really fun way. My studio also offers strength training as well as flexibility classes using the pole, and that totally helps out with general fitness.

One rather obvious thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that there are different styles and teaching methods: pole dance (more dance oriented, where you learn a set routine over several classes), pole fitness (more like strength/flexibility training using a pole), and pole sport (more like gymnastics but with a pole, but doesn't preclude the dance aspects), and strip pole (self-explanatory!)

Most good schools offer taster sessions for free or at a discount, so you can see whether the style works for you. And also v important - be sure to check out how much the school values safety. You can get seriously injured doing some of the more advanced moves...
  • I just bought a groupon for 6 pole dancing classes in okc. I am really excited to try it out and plan on going after I get back from vacation in a couple weeks. If I like it (and im pretty sure I will) i plan on buying a month to month unlimited classes!!!

What's the best thing to wear to these classes?
  • predent
    predent Posts: 95
    I have wanted to do pole dancing for YEARS, but I am soooo shy. There are tons of places in my area that do it and I am so tempted to sign up for some classes. I have zero upper body strength right now though. Should I get stronger before I join or just suck it up for awhile?
  • firetriniti
    @Amandajam:
    Form-fitting clothing is best. If you're starting out, most people wear tank tops and shorts (biking or running). For the more advanced moves, a crop top and dancing shorts/hotpants - this is because you want to be able to grip the pole properly. I tend to wear a vest/tank top with a sports bra underneath, so I can roll up the top for the harder moves. Used to wear shorts, but now the dancing shorts - decided being able to do pole properly was more important than how my thighs look ;)

@predent:
    I started from zero as well, and it has done wonders for my upper body. More strength is needed as you move up the levels, but it tends to naturally come as you progress. Doing pole has actually inspired me to start strength training at the gym, so I can do the harder moves. I say just go for it :)
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    In for video of first performance
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    LOVE pole dancing (as you can see from my pictures). Its a great way to keep fit and build strength. I wasnt very strong when I started, but can now handspring (yey) which I never thought I'd be able to to.

If youre going to buy one I'd get an X-pole, its a good brand, and safe. Sex shops often sell cheap poles that will fall down as soon as you invert, which is really dangerous. Make sure to buy from a reputable brand, or a safe ebay seller, etc.

Overall go for it! :)
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    I'd burn calories just watching.
  • nmf062174
    nmf062174 Posts: 171 Member
    It is an awesome workout! I think you should try it-I had very little upper body strength now that I have more I want to try it again. I say grab a girlfriend and go. My friend and I went (we laughed so hard at each other (Neither of us had much strength) the laughing was an added bonus.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    I have never tries this but there was a class in the room just before my Capoeira class last winter. I would say that it is a great form of exercise that has a very high degree of difficulty. Lots of upper body strength work as well as lots of core strength work.
    But, you will never know for sure until you give it a try!