what is wrong with the world today ! (rant, sorry)

Options
So after years of putting it off and trying any other exercise i finally plucked up the courage to try running and started C25K this week, yey me :o) Ive put it off because i know how much abuse ive had over the years when i've tried other forms of public exercise including one lovely gentleman who advised his mates to get out of the pool so they didn't get beached when the water got out as the whale got in !!! Anyway i did it anyway and went somewhere quiet so as to avoid the predicted group of idiots but there was still a gang of about 20 hanging around and as predicted i got abuse hurled at me. What annoys me the most is im not even that big anymore (uk size 12) and to make it worse one of them was shouting and joining in despite being considerably bigger than me ! what is wrong with these people!!! The fact im out running surely suggests that im trying to do something to improve my health, shame the same can't be said for you and your obvious attitude/ alcohol ( based on the number of various empty bottles scattered on the floor) problem !!!. Get off my back and sort your own lives out before you worry about mine! You don't know me or how far i've already come. I'm working on getting healthier every day and im going to keep on doing so, the only person who can stop me acheiving my goal is me and no amount of your stupidity is going to change that ! rant over sorry but i just had to get that one off my chest x Thankyou

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Go Rant!!!!

But seriously - these people are morons. You have tapped into their guilt zone by doing what they secretly know they should really be doing, and rather than get off their lazy backsides and do something about it, they try and get the upper hand (which you have) by hurling abuse.

who cares - you're doing a fantastic job!!
  • Sinope82
    Sinope82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I know but not only is it annoying and upsetting it's intimidating. Why should anyone be made to feel like that for trying to better themselves!

Is it just me?

Does/has anyone else come across this?
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    So after years of putting it off and trying any other exercise i finally plucked up the courage to try running and started C25K this week, yey me :o) Ive put it off because i know how much abuse ive had over the years when i've tried other forms of public exercise including one lovely gentleman who advised his mates to get out of the pool so they didn't get beached when the water got out as the whale got in !!! Anyway i did it anyway and went somewhere quiet so as to avoid the predicted group of idiots but there was still a gang of about 20 hanging around and as predicted i got abuse hurled at me. What annoys me the most is im not even that big anymore (uk size 12) and to make it worse one of them was shouting and joining in despite being considerably bigger than me ! what is wrong with these people!!! The fact im out running surely suggests that im trying to do something to improve my health, shame the same can't be said for you and your obvious attitude/ alcohol ( based on the number of various empty bottles scattered on the floor) problem !!!. Get off my back and sort your own lives out before you worry about mine! You don't know me or how far i've already come. I'm working on getting healthier every day and im going to keep on doing so, the only person who can stop me acheiving my goal is me and no amount of your stupidity is going to change that ! rant over sorry but i just had to get that one off my chest x Thankyou
    Groups of boys are only as bright as the lowest iq divided by the bottles of bravery they have drunk. When I was able to run, many a time a group of kids would yell as I ran past “earthquake” or “fatman walking” only once did I stop, I challenged them to keep up with me, (along ladies mile in Bristol) skinny punk in *kitten* dragging jeans sprinted off, and after about two or three hundred yards stopped like he was about to blow, by my second lap, they just looked anywhere but at me as I passed them. (I’d normally only do two, but I threw in an extra lap just to rub it in, how unfit their skinny arses were and how fit my lardy *kitten* was compared to them)
    Every slow stumbling step forward you take is one step more than 95% of the rest of the population. When you get to where you want to go, you’ll be looking back at them,” thinking not me not anymore”
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Groups of boys are only as bright as the lowest iq divided by the bottles of bravery they have drunk.

LOL. a brilliant equation. my only question is - how does anyone get any speed on Ladies Mile with all the hundreds of other people mooching around, dipping into Fairyland etc......
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Groups of boys are only as bright as the lowest iq divided by the bottles of bravery they have drunk.

LOL. a brilliant equation. my only question is - how does anyone get any speed on Ladies Mile with all the hundreds of other people mooching around, dipping into Fairyland etc......
    what is this "speed of which you speak" Even at my best I was a slow. (I was once overtaken by a lampost.... twice)
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've had this too, the very first day I headed out to start c25k, no more than 10 metres from my front door a random woman made a horrible comment as i walked by, in front of her kids!! If i hadn't already been nervous about being seen out running I'd have turned around and taken her down a peg or two.

I'm also a UK size 12. I run around a local park near where i live in Manchester, and there are always groups of teenage lads hanging out in the park (that's where the cool kids go and sit, you know) but I just put my music on loud, hope they can over hear the prodigy blasting out, and carry on. If they have an issue with seeing you run, that's THEIR problem, not yours. Like you said, you're out there doing something about your health. Congratulations on how far you've come already, that's great work!

Just think, they're sat there at 14/15 years old filling their lungs with smoke and livers with special brew, so in a few years I bet they'll have no choice but to change their ways.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I know but not only is it annoying and upsetting it's intimidating. Why should anyone be made to feel like that for trying to better themselves!

Is it just me?

Does/has anyone else come across this?

It just depends where you run. I live in an inner city. It's summer. Schools and universities have just broken up and people are out in parks from 10am in the sun drinking.... That's on top of the jobless and shirtless chavs that have been on the cider since they've woken up... Yes they will comment, usually to be the clown in front of their friends... the one who is oh so funny and brings in the laughs... yawn.

That's why I get in the car and drive somewhere nice, and THEN go for a run. Either a big woodland area where I run with my dog, or just a "better" area, where people pass you and merely nod, smile and give you a polite good morning. :smile:
  • ViRoot
    ViRoot Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your experience. It's disheartening to hear that idiotic groups try to discourage others. Were they particularly young? I've read that younger individuals give into peer pressure easily as the self control part of the brain has not fully formed. Add that along with group think, and you have an equation for seemingly heartless beings.

Sure they are jerks, and just because they are young does not give them an excuse to be rude - but they are definitely not the majority and what they think doesn't matter in the end. It's what you think. It's only when we start to believe rude comments - or believe that there is truth in those comments that we start to feel down.

You have accomplished a great deal and you should only ever feel proud of yourself. It doesn't sound like that group can say the same for themselves.

Keep up the great work! :)
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    When I was able to run, many a time a group of kids would yell as I ran past “earthquake” or “fatman walking” >>>

The sheer rudeness and lack of manners of some kids just never ceases to amaze me. We would have never dared shout anything like that. The worst we ever did was ring someone's doorbell and run away. The other day some 10 year old lobbed a half eaten pack of fish & chips over his shoulder splat all over the pavement. I asked him to pick it up and put it in the bin. The floral language that came out of this little scumbag was quite something and he was no older than 10. They just have zero respect and no one ever challenges them, so they get to rule the roost. I can't wait to move. We've house hunting right now.
  • Sinope82
    Options
    That was my plan too, i drove out to Chatsworth ( a stately home with large gardens) thinking i'd be safe ! Hmmm is anywhere safe i think i may try running early before work that way they'll still be in bed maybe.

Oh and ive seen the effect special brew can have on a persons weight. To much of that stuff and they'll need to be jogging along with me ;o )
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    What IDIOTS!! Grrrr... If I would have been there, a couple would have been eating through a straw now :).

Honey, dont let them get to you. I can't even imagine how STUPID some people are. Do your thing and dont worry about them.

In the end; you are working on your health and a long life with your family and friends. While they are commenting on you they aren't doing much more than hanging around, drinking and being idiots.

So, keep on being your awesome self!!
  • Sinope82
    Options
    Worryingly unlike on previous occasions the latest batch of plonkers were a bit older, prob late teens early 20's although i know what you mean. Ive seen kids that weren't into double figures hurling abuse in the past. Where are these kids parents?
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    Worryingly unlike on previous occasions the latest batch of plonkers were a bit older, prob late teens early 20's although i know what you mean. Ive seen kids that weren't into double figures hurling abuse in the past. Where are these kids parents?

Don't start me. When I walk my dog I see mothers in their pyjamas dropping off their kids at the local primary school. When did it become acceptable not to get dressed before you leave the house??? :huh:
  • Sinope82
    Options

love this going to have to remember that one (o:
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Don't start me. When I walk my dog I see mothers in their pyjamas dropping off their kids at the local primary school. When did it become acceptable not to get dressed before you leave the house??? :huh:

In my home town (I dont live there anymore) a lot of schools have actually banned mothers who turn up in pyjamas, it turned into such issue! Although this is the same town where mothers were found pushing fish and chips and macdonalds through school railings after the school had implemented a change to school dinners to make them healthier!!

I wish I was making this up :(
  • kathgym
    kathgym Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I ask myself that, and then you see the parents and its like "Aaah, so that's where you get it from!".
  • SixHats
    SixHats Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Always remember this: Opinions are like arseholes - everyone's got one.
  • boopboopadoop
    Options
    Groups of boys are only as bright as the lowest iq divided by the bottles of bravery they have drunk. When I was able to run, many a time a group of kids would yell as I ran past “earthquake” or “fatman walking” only once did I stop, I challenged them to keep up with me, (along ladies mile in Bristol) skinny punk in *kitten* dragging jeans sprinted off, and after about two or three hundred yards stopped like he was about to blow, by my second lap, they just looked anywhere but at me as I passed them. (I’d normally only do two, but I threw in an extra lap just to rub it in, how unfit their skinny arses were and how fit my lardy *kitten* was compared to them)
    Every slow stumbling step forward you take is one step more than 95% of the rest of the population. When you get to where you want to go, you’ll be looking back at them,” thinking not me not anymore”

Haha! That's fantastic! :)
  • Sinope82
    Options
    I think i remember that happening, i know our local school tried to do the same thing and stopped letting kids out to the chippy at lunch, the chippy then started taking orders by phone & delivering to the school car park!

In my home town (I dont live there anymore) a lot of schools have actually banned mothers who turn up in pyjamas, it turned into such issue! Although this is the same town where mothers were found pushing fish and chips and macdonalds through school railings after the school had implemented a change to school dinners to make them healthier!!

• Kara_xxx
    Options

With a job in Public Health (including "healthy schools" agenda) I believe every word!! We get the same here! "bring back turkey twizzlers" etc. :huh: