No loss for 2 weeks, but exercising 5 times a week...

Options

Replies

• vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    And the answer to the OP is, if you are not losing weight you are not getting your calorie deficit correctly measured or monitored.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i would say take a week off and let your body recover and replenish its fuel stores. keep eating your recommended calories and let your body get used to being relaxed again then hit it hard after that week off. make sure you are switching up your workouts because the body like routine and gets complacent doing the same thing over and over. i would say to switch up your routine every 4-6 weeks. as for the turning fat into muscle... that is not possible. you can lose fat and you can build muscle but you can not turn fat into muscle. keep at it and don't ever give up.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump I am having the same problem this week!!! I workout I eat healthy I eat back my exercise calories and no loss... Admits frustrating me!!!!
  • Evo1201
    Evo1201 Posts: 1
    Options
    People are too concerned with weight, when you should be trying for a healthy body fat percentage for you sex/height. You can get too hung up on a goal weight, as long as my cardio is improving & I'm losing the body fat I'm happy.

I agree ^. It's easy to get too hung up about the scales and weight. The mirror and clothes sizes are better indicators as well as BF%. I only weigh myself once a month but I can see from the mirror and using another notch on my belt or having to buy smaller trousers/jeans that i'm losing weight.

If you are losing inches here and there and sticking to a healthy diet it's a sure sign things are working well for you. Hang in there and keep positive.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Bump I am having the same problem this week!!! I workout I eat healthy I eat back my exercise calories and no loss... Admits frustrating me!!!!

Well, try not eating back your exercise calories. You want either a 3500 calorie deficit per week or 7000. If you want to lose fat, you have to let your body burn it and not just replenish stock.

I personally believe that you should just stick to the MFP calculation and then not eat your calories back but make sure at least 30% of your diet is saturated fat.
  • rachey_v
    rachey_v Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You could try taking it easy for a week upping your kcals then cut back again this usually helps.
  • davery1985
    davery1985 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?
    I eat most of the calories back that i burn during exercise, probably about 70% of it.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    When you exercise your muscles retain water to enable them to repair so this can lessen your loss but if you can weigh on a set of scales that also measures fat percentage you may see the real difference you are making. Don't stop, it will reward you in the end!
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well, try not eating back your exercise calories. You want either a 3500 calorie deficit per week or 7000. If you want to lose fat, you have to let your body burn it and not just replenish stock.

I personally believe that you should just stick to the MFP calculation and then not eat your calories back but make sure at least 30% of your diet is saturated fat.

I totally disagree with this general approach. I get 1500 cals per day if I don't exercise. My total exercise burn for yesterday was 1400 calories. The day before that was 1349. Are you saying that I should only leave 100 or less calories for my body to use for normal functions? Sure you'll lose weight but hello health problems in the long run.
  • davery1985
    Options
    If you haven't already, you should get a decent heart rate monitor it will let you know if you are maxing you your heart enough during intense cardio & track your calorie burn, Also try to work out in the morning before you break your fast.
    Yes i have a heart rate monitor, and i use it all the time :-) I have to exercise on an evening thoughas i have my 12 month old daughter during the day. Cant really do anthing with her running around. I do a fair bit of walkng through the day though x
  • vtachycardia
    Options

I totally disagree with this general approach. I get 1500 cals per day if I don't exercise. My total exercise burn for yesterday was 1400 calories. The day before that was 1349. Are you saying that I should only leave 100 or less calories for my body to use for normal functions? Sure you'll lose weight but hello health problems in the long run.

So,while disagreeing what do you actually eat back?

And the myth that you are losing the calories, when the fat is burning what is it burning for? To evaporate into the atmosphere or to fuel the body?

lastly, what exercise are you doing to burn that level of calories per day?
  • davery1985
    Options
    When you exercise your muscles retain water to enable them to repair so this can lessen your loss but if you can weigh on a set of scales that also measures fat percentage you may see the real difference you are making. Don't stop, it will reward you in the end!
    I will definately keep going as im noticing results, its taking time but i know its a long process loosing weight. Im going to keep at it for as long as it takes me. I am toning which is great so maybe i should be going on how my clothes fit, and only weighing myself once a month x
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Assuming you are on a calorie deficit, there is absolutely NO way its muscle growth. Well in fact i know its not muscle growth. Women will require about a month to gain 1-2 lbs of muscle and you would be talking about a lot of calories (has to be a surplus). Othrwise your body would never be able to go anaebolic to build lean muscle mass.

Also, you cant expect to lose every week or two. Weight loss is not linear. Also what is your weight, height and age so we can estimate your caloric needs. You might be over extending yourself (meaning a person with only 20 lbs to lose cant aim for 2 lbs of weight loss as its too aggressive).
  • davery1985
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Assuming you are on a calorie deficit, there is absolutely NO way its muscle growth. Well in fact i know its not muscle growth. Women will require about a month to gain 1-2 lbs of muscle and you would be talking about a lot of calories (has to be a surplus). Othrwise your body would never be able to go anaebolic to build lean muscle mass.

Also, you cant expect to lose every week or two. Weight loss is not linear. Also what is your weight, height and age so we can estimate your caloric needs. You might be over extending yourself (meaning a person with only 20 lbs to lose cant aim for 2 lbs of weight loss as its too aggressive).
    I have been on fat to fit andis said ive to eat 1626 to loose weight. Im 5ft6 ad a half inches and i weight 178lbs. Im not expecting to loose 2lb every week, im just asking if this is normal where say id loose 1lb one week, then not loose anything for next 2 week, then after id loose another 1lb. This is what normally happens to me, ut i see all my other friends on here loose every week. Just wondering whether its normal thats all x
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options

And the myth that you are losing the calories, when the fat is burning what is it burning for? To evaporate into the atmosphere or to fuel the body?

I eat back 85% to 90% of what I burn. I don't have hunger cravings and I'm losing body fat at a healthy rate while feeling stronger than I ever have. I end my day in a calorie deficit of around 500 calories. Before joining MFP I was eating around 1700-2000 per day and not eating back the calories on a very similar burn rate for a prolonged (say 18 months to 2 year) and was not losing weight. So I'm saying thumbs up to eat back your cals.

Here's a typical upper body + cardio workout for me. There is no way I could do this and not eat back the cals. I would quit early and feel miserable.
    heavybag 45 350
    Stair-treadmill ergometer, general 65 699
    Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) 75 300
  • vtachycardia
    Options

I eat back 85% to 90% of what I burn. I don't have hunger cravings and I'm losing body fat at a healthy rate while feeling stronger than I ever have. I end my day in a calorie deficit of around 500 calories. Before joining MFP I was eating around 1700-2000 per day and not eating back the calories on a very similar burn rate for a prolonged (say 18 months to 2 year) and was not losing weight. So I'm saying thumbs up to eat back your cals.

Here's a typical upper body + cardio workout for me. There is no way I could do this and not eat back the cals. I would quit early and feel miserable.
    heavybag 45 350
    Stair-treadmill ergometer, general 65 699
    Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) 75 300

Is that 45 minutes, 65 minutes, 75 minutes per day making a total of 3 hours?

We are talking at cross purposes if that is the case. And therefore I will amend what I said, if like most people you train for 45 minutes per day at an intensity that can be classified as exercise then you will burn 500-750 calories. If that is the case then do not eat your calories back. If you burn 1500 calories per day via exercise, eat back 1000 calories and still get the same 3500 exercise calorie deficit per week.

And I originally said, aim for 3500 calorie deficit from eating less, and 3500 calories from exercise deficit PER WEEK. sensible provisos e&oe etc. etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I have been on fat to fit andis said ive to eat 1626 to loose weight. Im 5ft6 ad a half inches and i weight 178lbs. Im not expecting to loose 2lb every week, im just asking if this is normal where say id loose 1lb one week, then not loose anything for next 2 week, then after id loose another 1lb. This is what normally happens to me, ut i see all my other friends on here loose every week. Just wondering whether its normal thats all x

Is that for a sedentary person. With you working out 5 days a week, you should be aiming for the moderately active.. I didn't see you post your age, but I took an average around 30 based on your baby picture. And being moderately active, i would have you around 1950 calories total. If you follow fat2fit, then you need to include your exercise in your calculation and NOT eat back exercise calories. Also, as a mother there are two additional variables; breast feeding (if you do this, you need another 300-500 calories) and if you chase your child around (dont' know what age your child is) but that would start you around lightly active. I know once children start walking, you need to increase your calories as well.
  • davery1985
    Options

Is that for a sedentary person. With you working out 5 days a week, you should be aiming for the moderately active.. I didn't see you post your age, but I took an average around 30 based on your baby picture. And being moderately active, i would have you around 1950 calories total. If you follow fat2fit, then you need to include your exercise in your calculation and NOT eat back exercise calories. Also, as a mother there are two additional variables; breast feeding (if you do this, you need another 300-500 calories) and if you chase your child around (dont' know what age your child is) but that would start you around lightly active. I know once children start walking, you need to increase your calories as well.
    Im 27 years old. Yes shes just started walking and shes running about like a mad woman,haha!! I think i may have to look at the fat to fit ratio thing again, as i think thats sedentry... Ill check now. I dont breast feed now shes 13 months, i did before. Heard that it tones tones your belly up (supposedly!!)