Help?! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Options

Replies

• brandyla78
    brandyla78 Posts: 18
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat...just because the scale isn't moving doesnt mean your not losing inches & building muscle too!! Keep it up & I'm sure you'll see results.

No, just no.

http://healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=549:does-muscle-weight-more-than-fat&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267
    ^^^^
    haha...I don't understand people saying that either..LOL...maybe they mean...fat takes up more room than muscle..hehe...

People look at it this way... 1 pound of fat is a lot "bigger" than 1 pound of muscle...but they are both a pound :)
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Search the boards for some posts about finding your BMR and TDEE, then figure out what your body needs.

Here is a good one to start with: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You should always net above your BMR (base metabolic rate), which is what your body needs to function if you were to do nothing but lay in bed. Again, net means calories consumed minus calories expended during exercise.

Try this calculator to help you find your BMR: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    or search for others on google.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    1200 is the very least you should be eating as it's sounds like you are exercising a fair bit, your body has most likely gone into starvation mode. eat at least 1200 a day and I think the weight will come off x

What they said... I completed P90X classic and per P90 I should consume more calories than what MFP say.. Understand MFP set your number based on you not working out. Look at it like this...calorie is a unit energy and your body requires in order to function.

Example: 1400 calories need to function i.e heart beat, pump blood etc. 1200 calories eat a day that leaves 200 calories body still need to function, body will find it in fat

1400 calories need to function; 1200 calories eat a day; -200 calories burned from working out; the body has to find 400 calories to function it will look for it from the fat...

1400 calories need to function; 1600 calories eat a day; don't workout then the body will begin to store the extra 200 calories.

In my opinion you are not eating enough to help your body to function and to such an intense workout.... once you eat more the body will realize its being fueled properly and begin to burn fat. If I burned 500 calories working out I would eat back 100 to help my body and then I started seeing the pounds fall off.

http://www.superkidsnutrition.com/nutrition_answers/nw_whatisacalorie.php
  • RachSuzanne
    RachSuzanne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree you are NOT gaining muscle. You are retaining water due to increased activity. Which is normal. You do need to eat more.

Now, as to the "muscle does not weigh more than fat" issue. True, and ounce of fat and an ounce of muscle are both still an ounce. However, they have different density which means that an ounce of muscle does take up less space than an ounce of fat. So, if someone is losing inches but not weight it is possible that they are gaining muscle. This is, however, NOT the case here. In order to gain muscle you would, as a pp said, need to have a surplus of calories (coming from low fat protein) instead of a deficit. Further, it takes a fair amount of time to gain muscle. The body does not repair itself overnight, otherwise we wouldn't be sore for a day or two.

In Arnold Schwarzenegger's Autobiography Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder, he wrote "Many people regret having to serve in the Army. But it was not a waste of time for me. When I came out I weighed 225 pounds. I'd gone from 200 to 225. Up to that time, this was the biggest change I'd ever made in a single year."

So one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time had the largest weight gain in one year of 25lbs. That breaks down to slightly more than 1ounce per day and this is not entirely muscle.

Now, lets assume that you are trying to lose 2lbs/week. That's 32 ounces. If you worked out and ate the way that The Governor did while he was in the army it would take you about 30 days to put on enough muscle to counteract what you should be losing in 1 week.

This rant is all to say, eat a bit more healthy foods. (Oatmeal, eggs or fish instead of pizza.) Drink more than 8 glasses of water a day because you are losing a ton during your work outs. Dehydration and intense physical activity both cause water retention.

Finally, this is all coming from a compulsive eater who has been yo-yo dieting for years. Losing inches is a wonderful thing. Keep up with the physical activity. You should be very proud of your own dedication. Simply educate yourself a bit further on diet FROM RELIABLE SCIENCE BASED SOURCES, not the latest marketing scheme.

Good luck.
  • mchldghrty1
    Options
    On topic: I agree, eat a little more and don't get obsessive with the scale.

Semi-On Topic: So many fitness myths (muscle... fat... starvation mode... etc) fly around this site. Do your own research and form your own fitness beliefs based on what works for you.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. It's normal to see no movement on the scale, or even see weight gain, during the first few weeks of starting intense exercise. The key is to continue to use the tape measure as well as the scale. If you are losing inches but not weight then you are doing it right. Eventually your muscle gains will slow and your weight will drop as you continue to burn fat.

Muscle DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT!!!!!!

It takes up less space then fat, but it doesnt 'weigh more'. A lb of feathers is the same as a lb of rocks.

AND you are unlikely to gain muscle in a calorie deficit. Inches are a great loss, dont worry about the scale :)

Yes still this - such a big calorie deficit so you won't be gaining muscle
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    There are many potential reasons why the scale weight is not going down, but here are the main reasons: (1) your performing an intense workout program and your body is retaining a lot of water to repair your muscles; (2) a relatively high number of your calories come from carbohydrates -- the body retains 3-4 grams of water for every 1 gram of carbohydrates that you eat; (3) your diet includes more sodium than you need; (4) your underestimating the amount of calories that you're eating (a food scale eliminates this problem); (5) you're overestimating the number of calories that you're burning; and (6) you're actually eating at a calorie surplus and adding muscle from your workouts.

Based on your post, my guess is that you are being affected by reasons (1), (4), (5), and (6), at a minimum, and maybe all of them. My reasons for saying this are as follows: (1) you clearly indicate that you don't like measuring your food, which leads me to believe that you're not being precise; (2) you say that you're really never hungry; (3) you are clearly working out hard; and (4) you're losing inches while not losing weight, which means you're gaining muscle and retaining some water.

At 5'2", I'll assume your ultimate weight goal is 120. As a general rule, most people should eat 10 times their ultimate weight goal in calories, multiplied by 1.3 if they exercise 4 or 5 times a week, less 20% if they are trying to lose weight. This formula comes from a trainer of elite bodybuilders.

In your case, then, the formula looks this way: (120 x 10 x 1.3) - (120 x 10 x 1.3 *.20) = 1,248 calories per day. In my view, that seems reasonable as your net. If you want to net out a little bit below 1,248, say 1,100 or even 1,000, you're not going to die; however, I definitely wouldn't net out much lower than 1,000 because you will almost certainly lose more lean mass than if you netted out at around 1,200.

I hope some of this is helpful.
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    jd,

If you are doing Insanity you should NOT be going by the MFP calorie calculation, it's notoriously low based on how many people I see say that MFP calculated their calorie needs at 1200 or lower. You should be using the Insanity nutrition guide to calculate your calories and using the recipes. I read on here of so many people doing P90X, Insanity, Slim in 6, Power 90, Les Mills Pump etc and they keep thinking that MFP is calculating the right amount of calories. MFP has no clue how to calculate calories based on the extreme exercises you are doing. 1200 calories is way too low for any exercise program as you're setting yourself up for failure by putting your body into starvation mode. My wife is 100 pounds and MFP calculated her needs at 1100 calories. Way too low, she tried it for 2 days and then asked me why she was feeling light headed and starving all the time. She's doing Brazil Butt Lift, so we used the nutrition guide and got her dialed in at ~1500 and she's doing great now. Body fat lowering and toned muscle coming on, all while staying at the same weight.

Plus, the "eating back your calories" method makes no sense. With any Beachbody program you calculate your daily needs and it already takes in to account your exercise routine. If you put that number into MFP and then record your exercise it will say you can "eat back X amount of calories". WRONG! Then you'd be going way over your caloric need. Simply input how many calories you need to eat each day based on the calculation from the Insanity Nutrition guide. Trust the program/process it lays out if you want the results that it states it will give you. I've tried doing it "my way" with those programs and it worked OK at best. When followed to the letter, you get the results you really want. Not my rule, just the way the programs work. Beachbody has spent millions on the science behind each program (exercise, nutrition, tons of testing) before it even comes out. Most programs spend 2+ years in development to get everything fine tuned and tested.

Every person I've coached/helped over the past 2 years that has done it their way, put the weight/inches back on. But those that followed the plan as laid out.....they dropped the weight, changed their lifestyle and still have kept the weight off. One of the guys I helped has dropped 80 pounds in 10 months and totally changed his lifestyle. All through P90X, Insanity, P90X2, The Ultimate Reset just by following the instructions in the package and support.
  • BoydLabBuck
    BoydLabBuck Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you lost inches then why does it matter what the scale read?

This 100 times over. You're "thinner" and feel great. What's the problem?
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    What you eat after exercise is also important. Try to find a protein powder or eat some meat, fish, eggs or something else high in protein to repair your muscles. As far as having to figure out how much pizza to eat, preplan your meals and you will know how many slices you get to eat, and how much exercise is necessary to earn those slices.

Good luck. I get 1490 calories, according to MFP, but normally eat about 2400-2500 based on my exercise. I've lost 57. You can do it. Stay on the site and see how many discussions come up about people who have the SAME problem as you are experiencing and then see what the response is 90% of the time. "Eat more, lose more"; if it works for others, what makes you think you're so special that it won't work for you?
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    So I've been actively using MFP for almost four weeks now. And my weight is pretty much back at square one and I'm not sure why.

I'm kicking my own *kitten* working out every day for about an hour (Insanity and then a mix up of either treadmill, Jillian Michael's or bike ride). I'm staying under my calorie goal (which is 1200 a day; with my workouts my net is usually 800-900 and I don't feel hungry). Drinking my water (maybe not 8 cups every day - but I'm not drinking anything else if it's not water, or coffee in the AM).

I've lost about an inch and a half on most of my measurements.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions. When I started I was on my period (sorry guys) so I those two extra pounds I chalked up to water weight, but recorded them. Now I'm not on my period and those two pounds are back.

The fact that I have to plan out dinner based on this app is kind of annoying, but it helps, or so I thought. But when the numbers on the scale are going backwards I'm not really seeing the point.

But on the positive. I'm feeling great! My pants aren't SO snug, I'm in a better mood, productive, I'm sleeping better (minus my husband's snoring). I know these are all great things and I shouldn't go by the numbers on the scale but I just can't help it when I work so hard and see "no results".

Eat more. You should never net less than 1200.. I personally would up your caloric intake as well. 1200 is not enough if you are doing insanity. Your body is holding on for deal life.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    So I've been actively using MFP for almost four weeks now. And my weight is pretty much back at square one and I'm not sure why.

I'm kicking my own *kitten* working out every day for about an hour (Insanity and then a mix up of either treadmill, Jillian Michael's or bike ride). I'm staying under my calorie goal (which is 1200 a day; with my workouts my net is usually 800-900 and I don't feel hungry). Drinking my water (maybe not 8 cups every day - but I'm not drinking anything else if it's not water, or coffee in the AM).

I've lost about an inch and a half on most of my measurements.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions. When I started I was on my period (sorry guys) so I those two extra pounds I chalked up to water weight, but recorded them. Now I'm not on my period and those two pounds are back.

The fact that I have to plan out dinner based on this app is kind of annoying, but it helps, or so I thought. But when the numbers on the scale are going backwards I'm not really seeing the point.

But on the positive. I'm feeling great! My pants aren't SO snug, I'm in a better mood, productive, I'm sleeping better (minus my husband's snoring). I know these are all great things and I shouldn't go by the numbers on the scale but I just can't help it when I work so hard and see "no results".

Eat more. You should never net less than 1200.. I personally would up your caloric intake as well. 1200 is not enough if you are doing insanity. Your body is holding on for dear life.
  • tlythgoe
    tlythgoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat.

Not a chance when you have such a big calorie deficit - generally you can only build muscle when you have a calorie surplus

Possibly extra water in the muscle due to increased exercise

The idea that you can't put on muscle while on a calorie deficit is a common misconception. If you are doing a lot of anaerobic exercise and eating enough protein, the body will avoid burning muscle.

Additionally, the original poster is probably over-estimating her caloric burn from exercise, so the net calories are probably higher than indicated. If she is doing "Jillian" and "insantiy" workouts, much of her work is probably anaerobic, and her calorie burn is probably closer to 500/hour of exercise than 1000/hour. Most people can't do these workouts at an aerobic intensity.

Muscle weighs more than fat because it is more dense. Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is roughly 0.9 g/ml - nearly a 20% difference. So a loss of 5lbs of fat accompanied by a gain of 4lbs of muscle would result in zero net weight change. However, the body composition change would manifest itself in measurements, better fitting clothes, etc..

Another way to verify that the poster is building muscle is to measure work capacity. Although she didn't post any data, she does say she "feels great" and is able to exercise at a high level of intensity. We can infer that her body is building muscle and aerobic capacity to deal with the increased workload, and that her work capacity is increasing. This would not happen if her body were cannibalizing muscle. She would feel tired, worn out, and have poor workouts.

My 0.02. I say keep it up, eat plenty of protein, but recheck your numbers. Your diet and exercise is probably right but the numbers are likely skewed.
  • LydsVille77
    LydsVille77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    QUOTE- I don't mind planning out my meals for the day. Actually makes life easier but for instance my husband got a pizza last night and before I could even open the box I had to stop and figure out how much I could eat - it was kind of annoying.
    [/quote] END

Eventually you will get the hang of it and almost know instantly which foods are how many calories. I know by heart how many calories my favorite foods are and how much I need to limit myself too :)
  • Carley0287
    Carley0287 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When you do not eat enough calories for the amount of activity you are doing your body can actually go into starvation mode and beginning storing what you do eat. Try to eat your total calorie goal for the day to assure that your body is getting what it needs. concentrate on lean protiens for building lean muscle.
    Also, if you are doing those vigorous work out and losing inches, try to keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat and this may also be the cause of your slight gain. Body changes are also more indicative of success than the numbers.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    You are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat.

Not a chance when you have such a big calorie deficit - generally you can only build muscle when you have a calorie surplus

Possibly extra water in the muscle due to increased exercise

The idea that you can't put on muscle while on a calorie deficit is a common misconception. If you are doing a lot of anaerobic exercise and eating enough protein, the body will avoid burning muscle.

That's true - heavy lifting and enough protein will indeed help to avoid muscle loss - but that's not what we are talking about. Significant muscle gain on a calorie deficit is no misconception - it's the holy grail and all but the very newcomers will not find it!

Calorie deficit with significant muscle gain - nope, I would like to see some stats of anyone who has acheived this all but impossible task
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    "I've lost about an inch and a half on most of my measurements. "

Done. Move along. She's fine.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    The human body requies a lot of calories just to live, by live I mean breath, pump blood, process food, etc. If you dont take in enough you damage yourself badly over time. That being said.

You lost inches and gained weight. This is more than likely a result of lean muscle replacing fat. This is what you want! I do not believe in scales as weight can swing by as much as 10 pounds in any given day. I measure my body fat once a week on the same day at the same time. This is highly accurate and prolly the best way to go.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    "I've lost about an inch and a half on most of my measurements. "

Done. Move along. She's fine.

Yeah he's probably right
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    What you eat after exercise is also important. Try to find a protein powder or eat some meat, fish, eggs or something else high in protein to repair your muscles. As far as having to figure out how much pizza to eat, preplan your meals and you will know how many slices you get to eat, and how much exercise is necessary to earn those slices.

"Eat more, lose more"; if it works for others, what makes you think you're so special that it won't work for you?

Actually the majority of people will digest carbs a lot faster than protein. For recovery drink or meal right after working out, a ratio of 4:1 or 5:1 Carb to Protein is needed. After exercise your muscles need to replenish the glycogen stores that it depleted. This requires a fast digesting carb to carry nutrients to the muscle, not a protein. In general, foods leave the average stomach about as follows:--fruits, vegetables, bread, eggs, lamb, beef, pork, chicken, nuts, guinea hen. Carbohydrates usually leave the stomach rapidly, proteins remain longer. Foods requiring longer time for gastric digestion are not necessarily harder to digest; it is often merely that the process of digestion is different.

Faster recovery means you can start doing more activities that you enjoy doing by not being as sore.

Eating more to lose more weight I've experienced multiple times. It works, and I've seen it work in my clients as well.