Re-thinking my position on eggs...

Options

Replies

• EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I disagree with everyone here that say don't sweat how much eggs yolks you eat or they have no effect on your cholesterol.

One egg Yolk has nearly 2/3's the daily cholesterol intake. If you have a family history of high cholesterol..WATCH your yolk count...

I suggest having your choleterol checked at least 4 times a year..(IF) you have cholesterol issues and see how your diet effects those numbers...if you are averaging 2 or more egg yolks a day and it has no negative effects on your cholesterol numbers...then continue...but if your LDL is going up....Cut back to one egg yolk a day or none depending on other Cholesterol intakes....I am 162 lbs, 8.2% body fat...and I don't eat fast food or fried foods...but My LDL is 138...its genetics...and if I eat over 2 or 3 egg yolks a day ...my LDL goes up almost 30 points.

JUST wanted to ADD: Genetics is the key component here...MOST people can get away with eating as many egg yolks as they want....but I am not one of those...and I am sure there are other people that have same issues with cholesterol that I do.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to make a mexican omelette with some lean meat, onions, peppers, a little cheese, salsa, and fat free sour cream. Oh yeah and maybe just a few black olives...

Try that with just 1 whole egg and the rest egg whites. See how it tastes. With the other flavors from the meat, salsa, etc in there, you might not notice much of a difference at all. :)
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Visit France. You'll come back eating eggs & butter, drinking wine and walking almost everywhere you go. You will also understand what a real portion size should look like.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has almost nothing to do with your cholesterol levels. Your body produces cholesterol
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I disagree with everyone here that say don't sweat how much eggs yolks you eat or they have no effect on your cholesterol.

One egg Yolk has nearly 2/3's the daily cholesterol intake. If you have a family history of high cholesterol..WATCH your yolk count...

I suggest having your choleterol checked at least 4 times a year..(IF) you have cholesterol issues and see how your diet effects those numbers...if you are averaging 2 or more egg yolks a day and it has no negative effects on your cholesterol numbers...then continue...but if your LDL is going up....Cut back to one egg yolk a day or none depending on other Cholesterol intakes....I am 162 lbs, 8.2% body fat...and I don't eat fast food or fried foods...but My LDL is 138...its genetics...and if I eat over 2 or 3 egg yolks a day ...my LDL goes up almost 30 points.

JUST wanted to ADD: Genetics is the key component here...MOST people can get away with eating as many egg yolks as they want....but I am not one of those...and I am sure there are other people that have same issues with cholesterol that I do.

What is your HDL number? And your HDL:LDL ratio? And your LDL size? Triglycerides? How do those change when you eat more than 2-3 yolks a day? Eggs are known to raise LDL levels, but they also proportionately raise HDL numbers, and studies show (some of the articles linked here already explain this) that the LDL particles are larger than what is considered to be "harmful." They've also found that the HDL:LDL and triglyceride numbers that matter more than just LDL numbers.

Also, the recommended cholesterol number is based on the flawed idea that dietary cholesterol affects blood cholesterol, which has been debunked.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love eggs. They are quick and easy and versatile. I eat them several times a week and consider them a part of my healthy diet.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Eggs are terrific and hardly a day ever goes by when I don't eat 3 of them for breakfast.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Eggs... The beginning of life... I'll go ahead and continue eating without worry that it is somehow bad for me but not the thing it is designed to create.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to make a mexican omelette with some lean meat, onions, peppers, a little cheese, salsa, and fat free sour cream. Oh yeah and maybe just a few black olives...

That sounds good. I can't stomach plain eggs anymore. Omelet's are so hard to make! I'm no Gordan Ramsy lol.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Eggs are Egg-cellent! :bigsmile: Organic for me

Ha ha...you made a funny yolk.

(And for the record, I eat 5-8 eggs cooked in CO and/or bacon grease every day for breakfast. Usually fresh from the farm, but the chickens are struggling to keep up.)
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Eggs all day every day. I try to have them several times a week. Scrambled egg whites. Whole eggs boiled. Egg salad sandwiches. The protein in eggs is amazing and they fit my high protein lifestyle perfectly. If you are omitting eggs you are just damn crazy unless their is a medical reason for doing so.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The documentary "Fat Head" gives some interesting facts based on reliable research. And adorable animation always helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaItGnGxu0A

The cholesterol stuff starts at around 3:15.

So, eggs are good, mkay? <3

(But, of course, to each her own. Egg haters gonna hate.)
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    Oh man, I freaking love eggs... I eat 2 every day! (My family does not have a history of bad cholesterol that I am aware of and I plan on checking in with a doctor once we settle down and can GET a doctor, haha). So far so good for me! It helps me stay full much longer, I think, and they are so delicious poached with a piece of toast. Breakfast is my one consistent meal every day and I look forward to it more than dessert! =)
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 whole eggs and 1/2 an avocado every morning for breakfast never had problems with cholesterol
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Love eggs. I eat three every single morning.
  • phenixred
    phenixred Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm all about eggs. But I only buy the EB eggs with the Omega 3. I dont eat them every day. But i do like them, sunny side up please!!!
  • bbatson04
    bbatson04 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 dozen eggs a week some weeks, and rarely less than I dozen. 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites. They're yummy and healthy.

Me too! 1 whole egg, and 2 whites scrambled with 1 slice of chesse everyday! 240 calories the way I fix them
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    maybe it's the magic Omega-3s that are helping you. :)
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Love eggs - fresh, free range eggs from my own chicks. As I understand it, dietary cholesterol (like found in egg yolks) has been shown to have little or no affect on a person's cholesterol levels.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    i like eggs :flowerforyou: