The Nutritionist is WRONG! Please please help me.

Options
1235»

Replies

• moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? What is your height's normal BMI range? Are you tracking your vitamins and minerals? Are you getting enough? You are exercising a lot so what is your body fat %?

I'm 5' 4" tall. BMI today at 178 lbs. is 30.55 obese. Normal BMI range in pounds is 109-146. Yes, I'm tracking vitamins and minerals. I don't know my body fat %.

I appreciate all the good advice and recommendations. A second opinion is definitely in my future.

Another crazy thought: is it possible you've gotten taller since you lost weight? I know it sounds weird, but increases in height of an inch or more in bariatric patients are not as unheard of as you might think. When the pressure on the spine from excess weight decreases, people stand up straighter, resulting in taller height measurements. That's oversimplifying it, but you get my drift!

At 5'5" and 178 lbs, you'd be in the "overweight" range, with a BMI of 29.6, per this calculator: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 4" tall. BMI today at 178 lbs. is 30.55 obese. Normal BMI range in pounds is 109-146. Yes, I'm tracking vitamins and minerals. I don't know my body fat %.

Just a word of warning - if anyone on here gives you specific numeric advice regarding BMR or TDEE based on this information, definitely double check it with a medical professional. Calculations based on standard metabolic equations will be way off in post-bariatrics.
  • marshan1970
    Options
    Personally, 140 lbs was too little for me and focusing on it caused me to be very, very depressed and eat. It took me almost a decade to pull myself out of it. In 1988 I weighted between 175-180 lbs., I'd lost over 80 lbs. I tried and I tried to loose more. I was in a size 13/14. Everyone told me I looked awesome, the professionals told me not to stress over it. But I did!

Last month I finally went back to the dietian. I was guessing I was probably up around 300 lbs. I wished I was wrong. I weighted in at 327.8 lbs. Now I wish I was only 180lbs. I'm starting my journey again. If I reach 180 lbs I'll jump for joy! But if I can't make it, as I'm almost 25 years older, I'll just be happy for the weight I can loose.

You should be so proud and happy of yourself. You have done sooooooo will! Be proud! Enjoy your new weight! If you're meant to loose more your body will let you. But for now just enjoy your new body and being happy!!!!! :-)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Maybe your nutritionist said these things because s/he is worried that by tracking your calories, you are forcing yourself to eat too little. You see numbers over 1200 and convince yourself you are full and can't possibly eat anymore, and are becoming malnourished. My entire family besides myself has undergone the lap band surgery and have managed to lose weight while avoiding malnourishment. They do not eat a lot at one time, but are often able to eat more after a rather short amount of time. Having this surgery leads to malnourishment if you don't eat enough which can lead to even more health problems then obesity!
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I would suggest seeing a registered dietician.