What's your favorite workout?

Hey all, so I've been an athlete all my life..until I went to college and studied/partied too much and worked out too little. But it's hard when you go from playing soccer year round to being in charge of your own workouts! I've hit the gym alot more running, swimming, doing LesMills Body Pump but I want to try new things.

So my question is, what kind of workouts do people like because its enjoyable, gives good results et cetera. :)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I am a huge fan currently of the P90X/insanity hybrid that I am doing. I hurt like no other after them.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    I love, love, LOVE the Body Combat classes I take at my gym. It's a Lesmills course, but it's pretty much an hour class of kickboxing, karate, tai kwan do, and mui tai. Not sure on the spellings. Anyway, I always feel so pumped and excited to go, and when I complete it. Huuuuuuge cardio burn, and having a super motivating instructor and awesome classmates makes it a blast.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    I have typically just been running and recently started to go to the YMCA for strength training, but.....

I belong to a local running group and once it got too hot for our long runs on Saturday, we started doing shorter runs (3-4 miles) and then a stadium workout at the local High School. I LOVE it!!!

We do a warm-up run, then up/down stadium stairs, then an activity such as burpees, dips, push-ups, sit-ups, etc., then a lap around the track. Then... 2 stadiums, activity, lap around track, etc.... up to 5 stadiums and repeat.

Last week we ended up doing a total of 6.5 miles (warm-up and track laps), 40 squats, 40 push-ups, 40 dips, 20 burpees, 2 minutes of jumping jacks, 60 crunches, 40 reverse crunches and 30 stadiums (up/down)! Best workout ever!!!
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    I work out at home and my favorites are two DVD's that I have. Both are Gilad Janklowicz workouts.

Gilad's Step and Tone is a step aerobic workout that is done holding hand weights. The step aerobics is divided into sections for biceps, chest, shoulders, back, and triceps. The step workout is followed by a section of squats and lunges, then a section of abs. 70 minutes total with the warm up and cool down/stretch.

Gilad's Step Aerobics is 40 minutes on the step - - - no weights. I do this on cardio-only days. There's a short section of ab work after the step workout and with the warm up and cool down, it's 60 minutes.

They're both so fun and I do feel worked-out at the end of them.

I know - - - I"m stuck in the 1980's.
  • idziak04
    idziak04 Posts: 69
    Any of the Jillian Michaels DVD'S are my favorite.
  • Jadbaa
    Jadbaa Posts: 129 Member
    I love Zumba! I also do TurboFire! It's a lot of fun and makes me sweat like crazy!
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Running...treadmill or street! It is a full body work-out and I get all lazy feeling if I do not get at least a 30 minute run in everyday! :)
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Circuits all day!! Spinning, boot camp, and SEX! :laugh:
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    The elliptical & walking around the track.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Whichever one I just finished.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Anything upper body in regards to weight training. I love the soreness I feel afterwards, lol. Weird or what??
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    such an open ended question....with a partner the best workout is the one in my bed...

if i am solo a good run or swim does the trick.
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    BURPEES!

NOT!
  • mdmcmillen
    mdmcmillen Posts: 97 Member
    Swimming laps, freestyle. Burns hella calories, and you don't get sweat in your eyes lol.
  • lisag2007
    lisag2007 Posts: 130
    Last night I did some circuit training and I loved it....didn't get bored at all. Did some weights, jumping jacks and then ran/jogged for two minutes. Then did lunges, weights, knee lifts and ran for two minutes. I would do two or three sets of different exercises and run for two minutes and then start over and I didn't get bored and it seemed like I was done with 45 minutes in no time. First time I did this, so not sure of the results, but I am a little sore today, so hopefully it did some good.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Anything upper body in regards to weight training. I love the soreness I feel afterwards, lol. Weird or what??

Same here!
  • I've been doing the Total Body Burn with Sean T... and his Hip Hop Abs... I think you might like that one.. I love it... and I'm out of shape but have increased my work out habit and actually can see a difference in my body.
  • shiftysheep
    shiftysheep Posts: 44 Member
    I started with Insanity, because I could download it & not need any equipment to do it, once my cardio improved & I did more research I started adding dead-lifts, weighted squats, hanging leg raises, pull ups, kettle-bell routine & every now & again the trampoline because it's mega fun & great cardio.

Weight's are hands done the best way to burn fat, because you get the after burn & hypertrophy, as you build lean mass your metabolism speeds up because lean mass use's more at rest than fat. Also still doing the Insanity style HIIT for cardio.

Also Kettle-bell is a mix between cardio & resistance training & can be super fun.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I love doing Zumba. Now that my wrist is healing I've gotten the go ahead from my doctor that I can start doing it again. I'd like to get an HRM to accurately check how many calories I burn when I do it because I know it's a lot. I'm usually dripping wet when I finish an hour class.