Ladies in the gym

Options

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Do you hate random guys coming up to talk to you as much as I think you do?

I see this all the time and every woman looks absolutely miserable when it happens.

I would love to be invisible in the weight room... and there's no ladies area in my gym, but I would say if both areas house the same exact equipment, they could still just want to get away from noisy girly girls or a strong perfume etc.. there's no accurate way to blanket answer this : )

That would be freaky with weights appearing to move up and down on their own and whatnot. I don't talk to anyone if I can help it and try not to stare at chicks since I think they should feel like they can go to the gym without dudes ogling them the whole time. I am however a dog, so hot chicks in revealing\tight clothes cause me to fail a bit at times.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    As a married woman who goes to the gym to work out and nothing more, yes, it annoys me when guys try to talk to me. It also annoys the hell out of me when they stare at me the entire time I am lifting. I do not go to the gym to socialize, make friends, hook up, etc. I go to the gym to WORK OUT. Leave me the eff alone, stop staring at me and concentrate on your own damn work out! ARGH!
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I see it too... I just love the look of "Really dude? You want to hit on my while I'm caked in sweat? Really?" Followed with that look that would melt metal.

I had something like it happen to me the other day. I'm doin my curls and some gal pulls up infront of me I mean right in front of me by about 5 feet. Keeps checkin over her shoulder smiling at me. Sorry.. nice *kitten* but I'm here to sweat and shred the fat.
  • valotero101
    Options
    When someone is working out they should be left alone. Just sayin.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would rather a guy come up to me and ask about my lifting then talk to his buddy about how they should do it that way..............yes my music was turned down at a point while doing butterflies with dumbbells and modified arm raises etc and heard some guys talking bout me ..........no wonder I cancelled my gym membership among other reasons....................
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    If I went to the gym, it would be to work out. Because that's the type of girl I am.

Besides, my experience has been that most of it is bs and nagging and lies. Like when you're about to do a bench press and some guy walks up and says "Aren't your boobs already big enough, you gotta build muscle to make them look bigger?"

Or when you're loading weights for leg presses and some jerk walks up and says "Can't you count? There's no way you can press that."

Ugh.

As you can tell, my experience with men near weights has not been fantastic. In fact, they were constantly telling me to "go jump rope or something" instead.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone so anti-social at the gym? I mean, I understand being pressed for time but it just seems we go out of our way to be avoid even being polite. I am married but I don't care of someone chats with me. I usually try to smile and say hi to the people I know (other moms of my kids friends, the male instructor of the kids swim school, the personal trainer who is super nice...). I had one creepy person and I just tried to be polite and they eventually went away. I just don't see why we immediately think anyone who so much as peeks in the direction of the opposite sex is immediately looking for some.

That being said, most of the time I don't really notice who is in the free weight area. I usually get what I need, go off to the side and do my stuff. I use LA Fitness and I go during the day, so there are not tons of younger people there and maybe that is the difference.

*my comments do not apply to women who have been harrassed at the gym, I understand where you are coming from and I would personally feel angry at some of those rude comments, thankfully i've never had those experiences.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I only hate it when they're unattractive or creepy.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    When someone is working out they should be left alone. Just sayin.

^^^AGREED!^^^ Only time I've ever talked to someone at the gym is if I see them doing something seriously wrong thats going to end up hurting themselves or I see someone doing an exercise I haven't seen before.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I don't usually say anything I just sniff their bike seats after they leave.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Oh man, I think I just peed my pants laughing so hard!
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty chatty person in general, so as long as they're fine with me continuing what I'm doing, I don't mind talking.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    its all about timing and gauging the situation. if you can read body language at all you should have a pretty good idea if someone is approachable. and if you are wrong you will find out pretty quick and can move along.
  • MerBear1985
    MerBear1985 Posts: 131
    Options
    I couldn't tell you...no one other than people I already know have approached me at the gym. When I see people I know I usually stop and talk to them for a bit if I am not in the middle of a set.
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    hey all you haters on the ladies only workout section... there are a lot of tough chicks that work out at my gym and honestly I think a lot of us use that section beacuse it has a bigger area with mats and stuff. Girls are busting out sets of pushups, theres not just one lb weights.. actually quite the opposite, the 15/20s are the most used! Now, the dumbbells only go up to 27 lbs. and they don't have everything in that section, but then you just leave for that part of your workout. I like it! and no I really could care less if someone came up to me, I'd treat them respectfully.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I wondered but that also brings up another question. If you are not working out in the "Ladies workout area" does that mean you do not mind guys talking to you?

The equipment in the ladies workout area isn't the same as the rest of the floor. The resistance training machines are for shorter people and don't have the same weight. Also the dumb bells are lighter weight. There are less cardio machines. So just because a woman isn't in that woman only area doesn' t mean she wants to chat. My sister is quite tall, and the machines don't work right for her in the woman's only area. I have only had men come up to me in the gym to give unwanted advice, so I don't really care for it. My daughter( 15) gets older boys approaching her and that creeps both of us out. I don't mind a quick hello, but anything more than that is interupting work out time.
  • hellosara08
    hellosara08 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to be approached at my particular gym. There are way too many older (around middle aged) guys who stare throughout their entire workouts and your own. The Hip Abduction and Hip Adduction machines face the treadmills and I noticed as my friend and I were doing that section of our workout, there was a guy on a treadmill just staring... straight... down... *shudders* So we kind of just stay to ourselves when we hit the gym. And if I go alone, I go in the morning, when it's the geriatric crowd.

So far, I wouldn't want anyone approaching me for anything more than a polite "hi" or "nice going".
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I normally lift at home but am away for a few weeks so have joined a gym. I am normally the one talking to guys, asking if there is a certain machine there, how heavy is the bar ... All sorts of dumb questions that I really should know. Most of the guys seem quite happy to answer & a few have then engaged me in conversation. Don't think they get females in the weights area in that gym very often as one of the guys was very surprised I was deadlifting!!

I'm quite happy to chat though, and I'm off work at the moment (yay for summer holidays) so am not pushed for time. You're not going to get a response if I'm in the middle of a set though!!
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Not one guy has ever approached me in the gym so I guess that means I have a LOT more work to do lol