How to I tell my Boyfriend..

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any of the Batman movies, and my husband, though a full-fledged comic geek, understands and respects my boycott of things that are overhyped.

Plus, I've read LotR, HHGttG, a whole pile of RA Salvatore books, and have enough dorkiness that my Batman deficiencies are forgiven.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    The new Batman movies annoy me. Jack Nicholson was a faaaar better joker.
    Don't even get me started on the terrible "batman voice"... it's so bad I actually laugh and cringe.

I beg to disagree. Nolan's take on Batman is way deeper and realistic than Burton's adaptation. Those two are still golden to me and definitely cult movies but after watching the Nolan's 3rd, I am very much convinced that he has a very satisfying storytelling style. Comparing Nicholson's Joker to Ledger's Joker is like comparing apples and oranges. I'm not exactly sold to Anne Hathaway despite the fact that she had 3 awesome scenes in her total screen time, mostly because imo she looks too young to be Selina. Overall I left the theater happy tonight and I can say it's the best closing movie in a trilogy for me so far.

Edit: As for the 'Batman voice', Nolan's movies actually take technology into account. It wouldn't be nice to have your voice recorded by someone and get matched to your real identity. Ah, the good old days where taking glasses off was good enough to fool people...
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    You will only be forgiven if you have a marathon weekend and get caught up. Don't make any snarky comments, and do not dare fall asleep.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Don't even get me started on the terrible "batman voice"... it's so bad I actually laugh and cringe.

I beg to differ about Nicholson being a better joker!

What she said ^^ but to each their own. The newer Batmans, in my eyes, are much better than the others. Yes Jack Nicholson was a good joker, but I think Heath took it to the next level and gave him the little bit of extra crazy that he needed! Also, Anne Hathaway was AMAZING! TDKR was by far my favorite Batman movie!!
  • BillyB0B2k
    BillyB0B2k Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't tell him, watch them when he's not around. lol
  • FitBarbie2986
    FitBarbie2986 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just recently saw my first batman movie..like the beginning of this week actually, Batman Begins,hehe :D Started watching The Dark Knight last night,but fell asleep..the BF is a HUGE Batman fan..& hes dying to go see the new Batman movie,so hes trying to catch me up..don't feel bad :D
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    That I had never seen Batman before tuesday?

Seriously.

You are better than me because the closest thing I have watched related to Batman is the Seal music video.

omg i just laughed so hard too funny!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

I beg to disagree. Nolan's take on Batman is way deeper and realistic than Burton's adaptation. Those two are still golden to me and definitely cult movies but after watching the Nolan's 3rd, I am very much convinced that he has a very satisfying storytelling style. Comparing Nicholson's Joker to Ledger's Joker is like comparing apples and oranges. I'm not exactly sold to Anne Hathaway despite the fact that she had 3 awesome scenes in her total screen time, mostly because imo she looks too young to be Selina. Overall I left the theater happy tonight and I can say it's the best closing movie in a trilogy for me so far.

Edit: As for the 'Batman voice', Nolan's movies actually take technology into account. It wouldn't be nice to have your voice recorded by someone and get matched to your real identity. Ah, the good old days where taking glasses off was good enough to fool people...

If the actor hadn't died, I think public opinion would be different.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The "voice" is probably the only annoying thing in those movies compared to the "original" ones, but it's logical at the same time, so, not that bad.

Heath Ledger's joker was really really nice. I never really liked either actor, Heath Ledger or Jack Nicholson, but this performance was amazing.

Michael Caine is an incredible actor as well, and while Burton's Alfred was certainly likeable, Caine brings something that goes far beyond that.

I have not seen the last one yet though, going tomorrow. But so far I'm very impressed with the first two movies. I played Arkham Asylum and Arkham City as well, and Joker there was really entertaining. Voiced by the actor that played Luke Skywalker, it was also a very good performance. I'd rank this virtual Joker above Nicholson's Joker any day, but then again, I really don't like Jack Nicholson :p
  • KateHill1981
    KateHill1981 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I still have to tell my husband that I haven't seen countless movies. We've been together 6 years. He'll bring up scenes from Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Jaws, Star Wars, The Matrix, Pulp Fiction, The Goonies.... Never seen them. We try to have movie night to catch up on all the movies I've missed- I fall asleep and still miss them. I love the look on his face when he asks me "seriously?? You've never seen this??"
  • Turtlehurdle
    Turtlehurdle Posts: 412
    Options
    That I had never seen Batman before tuesday?

Seriously.

I would keep that kind of embarrassing information to yourself if I were you!
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    There is so much fail in this thread its too sad to bare any longer... How could you not see Batman?! I grew up on the originals! POW! ZONK! BANG!
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm banished to the sofa until I watch them, so guess what I'm doing today!! :laugh:

In all seriousness though, TDKR was epic, and I'm glad I saw it. I was pretty "meh" about Batman before, I didn't get the whole rich boy in a mask and cape fights baddies. And frankly, I still disaprove of the cape. But I now want bat-babies.
  • xarge
    Options
    If the actor hadn't died, I think public opinion would be different.

I agree about the hype but not Ledger's acting. Overall he was underrated through his career. Not only his death but also the fact that Dark Knight was a crime movie rather than a regular Batman movie (that focuses on Batman/Bruce Wayne) put him on the spotlight.
  • xarge
    Options
    Well, I'm banished to the sofa until I watch them, so guess what I'm doing today!! :laugh:

In all seriousness though, TDKR was epic, and I'm glad I saw it. I was pretty "meh" about Batman before, I didn't get the whole rich boy in a mask and cape fights baddies. And frankly, I still disaprove of the cape. But I now want bat-babies.

Banished, lol :p Enjoy them! It's good to venture into territories out of your comfort zone once in a while.

Rich boy fighting baddies = Tony Stark but he is also not as shallow as he seems
    Bruce Wayne is Batman's daytime cover and mostly that. Barely existing beyond that as Batman has the most influence on his character because of traumatic past, unlike Superman who is more distinctly and genuinely split between Clark Kent, Superman and Kal-El.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Tell him during coitus. You can tell us anything during coitus and we'll agree/accept.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    If I did this my boyfriend would dump me! He likes me cause I'm nerdy. :glasses: lol
  • Ohmydaze
    Options
    Tony Stark.. I guess that makes me a hypocrite, because I loved Iron Man. He, however doesn't have a cape or pointy ears, and is a genius to go along with it.
  • Ohmydaze
    Options
    If I did this my boyfriend would dump me! He likes me cause I'm nerdy. :glasses: lol

That's my problem!! When I told him I'd never seen inception I got a straight faced "We're done." and he walked away!! :sad:
  • Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, Batman is supposed to have genius-level intellect but it doesn't really show in most of the films, but it will in the comics.
    As to the debate over which Joker is best, I will always say this: Heath Ledger gave an incredible performance, but he was NOT the Joker. For me, it's Mark Hamill all the way, even though he only has a voice role. :')