Replies

• cindybickler
    cindybickler Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bump great stuff!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Are reply to a PM i received which people may find useful. Don't hate me for the beginning!

I am not a proponent of any of the beachbody.com or similar workout routines with the exception that they suck sedintary people into exercising. Best results can be gotten from a mix of proper strength training, nutrition, and basic cardio or lack of. It depends on your goals, but some combination of these 3 things will fit almost anyone. Often people do not set specific goals. They will go with the vague "get in shape." But what does that mean? The most common specifics would be increase muscular strength\size\endurance, maintain general cardiovascular health, increase cardiovascular endurance, and possibly increase flexibility. Beyond that there are can be other less commonly sought ones like increase my vertical jump, increase quickness\agility, increase explosive power etc. The first step in deciding what kind of exercise regime to follow should be determining your specific goals. Then you should get started with the simplest programming with the least effort and time spent that still gets you there as quickly and efficiently as possible within the bounds of safety.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I know I'll probably get crucified on this forum, but in my OPINION, NROL4W, is not AS good as a regular beginner strength program. It introduces too many exercises too quickly, uses weaker or in some cases more advanced versions of some lifts, has you doing 3 work sets of deadlifts which is too much when you get your working weight up, changes the routine you do at arbitrary preset times when the real time to change a routine is when it stops working after proper resets\deloads, employs supersets which is not really needed for beginners, some muscle groups being overlooked in some phases.

Now this IS based on someone's training log from 2008. I don't know of the routines have been updated at all since then.

This is just to give you an idea of what it is currently..hopefully its better than you thought?

First workout A instructed:

Squats 2 sets of 15
    (for a week then it bumps to 2 sets of 12 next week...etc...for all sets same deal..and it is suggeted to stay with this stage for 8 weeks and possibly longer if you feel more comfortable...there is a workout B..but didnt post...basically A workout one day..B workout later in week..)

Push ups 2 sets of 15

seated row 2 sets of 15

Step up lunges with dumbbells 2 sets of 15

prone jackknife 2 sets of 8

I think by 8 weeks...its not too difficult to figure out these moves.. :) ...Women like references...they like books..some..especially first starting out feel intimidated in the weight section at the gym.. They dont want to ask for help..I just love how this book is set up..

Even with reviewing the next stage in program.....which last a month...the most diffucult move? Probably front squat push press(not that it is that difficult..but it brings most women out of their comfort zone...using a barbell and attaching own weight size)...but it is VERY advisable...that you review proper form! If not asking for help...look online for videos! :) Always be prepared before you step foot in that gym..every motion counts!

I just have found that even when I asked a trainer what to do...this book far exceeds anything they could set up for me :) Most tend to set up isolated movements...this book is the opposite...

on your comment on 3 work sets being too high when trying to work your weight up...women tend to UNDER-estimate their strength...and I know the author is aware of this...if you ask a male which barbell or dumbbell they are going to use...the go well over what they should..women are the opposite...so 3 sets of deadlifts with a barbell..I can BET they will always grab the lowest weight they can...at first ;) The next time they try it? They will find.hey...I can hold more than 20 pounds! :)

I hope its better than you thought..kind sir !
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    sorry..cleared out a double post that was here:flowerforyou:
  • xlpavenged7x
    Options
    If you wanna get srs

Training frequency explained http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137364463

How NOT to workout http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/*uckarounditis.html You have to replace the * with F

Strength routine that adds some mass and best done on caloric surplus http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Mass routine with some strength and good to do while on caloric deficit http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Buy the Starting Strength book and read it either way

Build calves - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-the-calves.html

Importance of deloading http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121391461

Learn how to eat http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Dispel bull**** http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Track food http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Buy a food scale ~30 bucks for a digital

More on nutrient timing - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123915821

Post workout nutrition - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131821473&p=678321011&viewfull=1#post678321011

More advanced nutrition
    Insulin - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-levels-and-fat-loss-qa.html
    Insulin again - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-sensitivity-and-fat-loss.html
    Leptin - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-hormones-of-bodyweight-regulation-leptin-part-1.html Notice the Related Articles link on lower right

Cardio blurb:
    Cardio is not a magic fat burner. It does not allow you to lose\keep off fat while gaining muscle. It burns calories like any other activity. If you are trying to lose fat you can do cardio or eat less food, either one. If you are trying to gain muscle, cardio will require that you eat more to gain it (along with hindering muscle recovery if overdone). As for general cardiovascular health, some would argue that it can be maintained just from hard and heavy barbell lifting. If you want to guarantee it, you can simply walk at ~3mph for 10-20 minutes twice per week.

Should I bulk or cut?
    If you are asking this question, you are probably a new trainee with some fat but not a lot and likely not a lot of muscle either. As a brand new trainee you can gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously for 3-4 months. After that you will have to pick one or the other and cycle. A good rule of thumb I have seen stated is cut to 10%bf, bulk to 15%bf and repeat until you have the look you want. As for the first 3-4 months, eat at maintenance until your progress stalls (most notably you can no longer increase weight on your lifts). At that time re-evaluate yourself and decide whether you would be happier with less fat or more muscle first.

Supplements
    Supplements should only be used if you cannot meet your needs with real food. A multivitamin (still just insurance if you eat properly), fish oil if you don’t eat a lot of fish, protein powder if for some reason you can’t eat enough food, and creatine. Some people say even creatine is a waste, but it does work and is cheap. Just stick with straight creatine monohydrate. Don’t buy anything where it is mixed with extra sugar etc. If you want to go farther, veggie greens powder is another good source of insurance for micronutrient intake. Also GABA has shown some promise, but whatever. Realize that the majority of results comes from lifting, eating, and sleeping.

More on creatine - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112484941

Fantastic Post!
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Determinednoob
    Options

yeah that looks like what i saw. on the deadlifts i did say when it gets heavy with the assumtion that the program has a progression scheme that will eventually lead there. I guess I could say when/if ;)

The Starting Strength book is explicit bordering on ludicrous and has lots of pics. Some of a woman who may possibly be able to lift more than me ;)
  • kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I know I'll probably get crucified on this forum, but in my OPINION, NROL4W, is not AS good as a regular beginner strength program. It introduces too many exercises too quickly, uses weaker or in some cases more advanced versions of some lifts, has you doing 3 work sets of deadlifts which is too much when you get your working weight up, changes the routine you do at arbitrary preset times when the real time to change a routine is when it stops working after proper resets\deloads, employs supersets which is not really needed for beginners, some muscle groups being overlooked in some phases.

Now this IS based on someone's training log from 2008. I don't know of the routines have been updated at all since then.

I actually agree with you on this :). It's a good book, but there isn't a difference between men and women in terms of muscle. Men get bigger because of testosterone and other hormones that we women don't produce in nearly the same quantity. I lift very heavy on big compound moves and I am not bulky at all :)
  • Feisty_Red
    Options

yeah that looks like what i saw. on the deadlifts i did say when it gets heavy with the assumtion that the program has a progression scheme that will eventually lead there. I guess I could say when/if ;)

The Starting Strength book is explicit bordering on ludicrous and has lots of pics. Some of a woman who may possibly be able to lift more than me ;)

Then I will look for that book too! If its better than New rules..I'm in..Is any particular edition better than another??
  • Determinednoob
    Options

Then I will look for that book too! If its better than New rules..I'm in..

10 bucks on kindle
  • Feisty_Red
    Options

Then I will look for that book too! If its better than New rules..I'm in..

10 bucks on kindle

I'm a non kindle kinda gal..old school touchie feelie page turner...Does it matter edition?
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    I did\would go with 3rd i guess. the preface says it updated some out of date info and corrected some that was incorrect. haven't seen 1st or 2nd so don't really know the differences.
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I actually agree with you on this :). It's a good book, but there isn't a difference between men and women in terms of muscle. Men get bigger because of testosterone and other hormones that we women don't produce in nearly the same quantity. I lift very heavy on big compound moves and I am not bulky at all :)

I agree with this as well. New Rules is a good book in that it's regimented and gets people started.

I like the Starting Strength program much better, and even Stronglifts 5x5.
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    Bump
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bedsidetables
    Options
    Calories 3000 (350 ish surplus)

Monday: legs
    Tuesday: arms
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday:legs
    Friday: arms
    Saturday:rest
    Sunday: chest and shoulders.

10-12 reps per set and around 15 sets per workout
  • Keyser_Soze
    Options
    Glad to see Martin's message about training getting out there!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

I agree with this as well. New Rules is a good book in that it's regimented and gets people started.

I like the Starting Strength program much better, and even Stronglifts 5x5.

I always recommend the book because of the information in it. It really help women get over their fears of lifting. I agree that it is not the best program but for me it did the job