Eating most of the goal calories on breakfast!

Options
I've find that the cereals I eat in the morning, whatever brand they are I always lose so much calories in them. Mostly because the bowl I use is for 300 g. Do you guys have any ideas so that I can eat them and not be splurging in calories?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I've find that the cereals I eat in the morning, whatever brand they are I always lose so much calories in them. Mostly because the bowl I use is for 300 g. Do you guys have any ideas so that I can eat them and not be splurging in calories?

Eat smaller portions?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    A. Eat less of it
    B. Get a more nutritious breakfast
    C. Brekkie is supposed to be the biggest meal of the day but also nutritious...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Eat one serving, not probably closer to 6 with a 300g bowl. Your bowl does not have to be full, and if its lack of fullness bothers you go purchase smaller bowls. Frankly a serving for most cereals I have seen is 50-60 grams, sometimes less. Eating 300 grams is not cutting back, nor is it eating the suggested serving.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    C. Brekkie is supposed to be the biggest meal of the day but also nutritious...

There is no reason for breakfast to be the biggest meal of the day. If eating a big breakfast works for some people, by all means do so. But, for people like me, eating a big breakfast will leave me unsatisfied at the end of the day when I want a big meal and don't have the calories for it. The is zero evidence that eating a big breakfast is more beneficial in and of itself, than eating a small one, or delaying it until later in the day.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I don't know what else to say to these kinds of questions.

Stop eating cereal? Eat something that has more nutritional value, less calories.

Eat less of it?

Any other options?

If you weigh it, you'll find a serving is almost nothing.

You didn't say what kind and how much, but cereals in general are the worst thing to eat. I eat oatmeal almost everyday. 150 cals. Fills me up. I have a banana as a mid-morning snack. If no oatmeal, then it's usually 4 egg whites. That's it.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

smaller bowl and slice up a banana to fill up some of the space. What cereals are you eating? We make homemade granola which is nutritious, inexpensive, and easy to make.
  • tlc36
    tlc36 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Honey Squares are only 80 calories. Those with 1/2 cup of almond milk (40 cal per cup) and you have a 100 calorie great breakfast!
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Don't toss cereals into the cup directly from the box but use a tablespoon or cup to measure your cereal in if you love cereals and really love that bowl.

Easier is to end your marriage with that bowl and look for a petite and sexy one, me thinks.
  • fassrap
    fassrap Posts: 1
    Options
    When you choose a cereal look at the sugar content. A good sourse cereal is Fibre One and it taste good
  • nataliexxxx
    nataliexxxx Posts: 262
    Options
    Weigh the cereal out I only eat 45g when I eat cereal or why dont you eat something different for breakfast like fruit and yoghurt
  • tammylester50
    Options
    First off measure your cereal if you are going to eat it and get a smaller bowl. But maybe you need to do is drop cold cereal eat hot cereal ie oat bran hot cereal with a little brown sugar is only 180 at the most and it is really filling. Also, Oatmeal is another one that works. Through in a small banana and it will sustain you until lunch or snack time.
  • alikonner
    alikonner Posts: 67
    Options
    If I'm not too hungry and want some cereal, I eat special k in the morning.. 1 cup with 0.5 cup of skim milk. 160 calories. Would I love to eat 2 more bowls? Probably! But I don't. You have to eat smaller portions if you want to eat less calories.
  • Angel175
    Angel175 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is much more satisfying...:-)
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Try oatmeal/porridge- if you've had it before and haven't liked it, try it again with a different type oats (I use scottish oats, they're like smaller and have been slightly ground up so it doesn't get lumpy). I use 50g of oats with a a cup of water, whack them on a high heat for a few minutes until it thickens, and then add a teaspoon of cocoa powder. it comes to 210 calories and is great with several blueberries, sliced strawberries or banana if you want something else to top it with (:
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Personally I can never understand why someone has cereal - it's just a habit I think

http://bodyecology.com/articles/why-cereal-not-best-breakfast.php
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I usually eat Uncle Sam cereal mixed with plain greek yogurt and some kind of fruit. Tons of protein and fiber, no added sugar.

eta: the portion of the cereal seems larger than most to me - 55g. the fruit and yogurt really stretches it.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a smaller bowl so you still feel you are having a whole bowlful. Alternatively maybe keep the bigger bowl but have less cereal and add some fruit?
  • HonorSummers
    Options
    I have muesli and soy yoghurt in a tea cup, helps me keep my portions smallish and it's tastes awesome
    :)
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    I have muesli and soy yoghurt in a tea cup, helps me keep my portions smallish and it's tastes awesome
    :)
    same! I cut an apple up into it as well.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    300g? Isn't a normal serving a cereal about 30g (1 oz)? That's 10 servings....