Eating most of the goal calories on breakfast!

Options

Replies

• bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    A serving is much smaller than many of us are use to pouring in a bowl. As what has been stated, measure it out. I have found a serving of the Special K's, with fresh fruit, is quite satisfying but it may take time to condition yourself to it. Your body will be satisfied with a serving well before your mind will be. Many of us have been filling the bowl since we were kids - tough habit to break.
  • yerfgirl
    yerfgirl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Measure it. I eat cerial every day and consume less than 300 calories. Lower fat milk is helpful too if you havent made the switch.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    ......and btw, welcome to the wonderful world of portion control. Cereal is just one example of how people have grown accustomed to eat well over the recommended daily serving of most foods, and one of the biggest reasons many of us are on this site now.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    C. Brekkie is supposed to be the biggest meal of the day but also nutritious...

There is no reason for breakfast to be the biggest meal of the day. If eating a big breakfast works for some people, by all means do so. But, for people like me, eating a big breakfast will leave me unsatisfied at the end of the day when I want a big meal and don't have the calories for it. The is zero evidence that eating a big breakfast is more beneficial in and of itself, than eating a small one, or delaying it until later in the day.

Agreed! There is no benefit to the timing of nutrition. It is all personal preference.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Eat a small serving of cereal, as well as some protein(eggs, protein shake, ect) and a serving of fruit, you will stay full alot longer for less calories.
  • harleygaljojo
    harleygaljojo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When I eat cereal I look for calories per serving and measure them to that exact amount. when it has a lot of fiber that is plenty for me to be satisfied.
  • RoseThePenguin
    RoseThePenguin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Personally, for me, I usually eat the least amount of calories in the morning. I like have porridge an fruit because it satisfies my sweet tooth and fills me up. If you don't like porridge you could perhaps try a light cereal like special K or something? I'm not big on cereals so I don't know the calorie content of a bowl.
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    Eating a big breakfast isn't a bad thing if you eat the right food. I can spend over 500 cals on breakfast eating baked oatmeal, but in trade, I don't feel like snacking at all and am ok with a lighter lunch. I also ate breakfast at a buffet not long ago (I go to one less than once a year on average) and decided since I never go I ought to enjoy and go all out. I had a big breakfast full of nearly every food group, and ended up full to the point that I barely ate anything the rest of the day. I was pretty surprised. So maybe eating a hearty breakfast would keep you from feeling as hungry and needing those calories the rest of the day...
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Try oatmeal/porridge- if you've had it before and haven't liked it, try it again with a different type oats (I use scottish oats, they're like smaller and have been slightly ground up so it doesn't get lumpy). I use 50g of oats with a a cup of water, whack them on a high heat for a few minutes until it thickens, and then add a teaspoon of cocoa powder. it comes to 210 calories and is great with several blueberries, sliced strawberries or banana if you want something else to top it with (:

This ^^^^
    Thank You this sounds yummy I am going to look for scottish oats
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    use a measuring cup
  • mainelymama
    Options
    When I eat cereal I clock in at about 300 calories MAX for the morning. I measure out the suggested serving and use skim milk.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I used to eat cereal with skim milk daily. But, I find that when I have a poached egg and a serving of fruit, I stay full much longer, and it's less calories. Sometimes, if I don't have time to poach an egg, I also enjoy a protein bar and a serving of fruit. But, be cautious. Some protein bars have more calories than a serving of cereal and skim milk.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Measure out a portion (the recommended weight of a portion is usually printed on the box) and use smaller bowls. I have changed to smaller plates and bowls for all meals and it makes the plate look a lot fuller.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Measure our portions. Don't just blindly fill the bowl.
  • omgiacobbi
    omgiacobbi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    C. Brekkie is supposed to be the biggest meal of the day but also nutritious...

There is no reason for breakfast to be the biggest meal of the day. If eating a big breakfast works for some people, by all means do so. But, for people like me, eating a big breakfast will leave me unsatisfied at the end of the day when I want a big meal and don't have the calories for it. The is zero evidence that eating a big breakfast is more beneficial in and of itself, than eating a small one, or delaying it until later in the day.

^ This. I can't eat a whole lot in the morning (I wake up at 4am), so I normally stick with something small, but typically packed with lots of fiber and protein. Well, normally. I've been slacking on this, but I notice that when I do eat more fiber and protein in the morning, I feel fuller longer and I just overall feel better throughout the day.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't eat cereal much for breakfast unless it's a cheat day. They are processed, loaded in carbs, and "enriched" in vitamins and minerals...it's fake food. I'd just prefer to have some eggs and fruit and occasionally a little bacon if I splurge (the real stuff). It keeps me fuller longer and they are "real" foods.

I know many cereals had (in the past) earned the American Heart Association checkmark....but Coco Puffs and Lucky Charms also earned this checkmark as well due to their low fat content which is beyond ridiculous :noway: . Recently these checkmarks have been removed and the list of cereals acheiving the checkmark have been downsized to about 17 cereals. Nevertheless - overloading on carbs is not a good plan and I personally wouldn't burn them all on sugary cereal.
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    use a measuring cup
    ^^^^^ This.

Most mornings I eat 1.5 servings (1.5 cups) of cereal, 1/4 cup of cut up strawberries and 3/4 cup of 2% milk. That keeps me full most days until lunch time. On the days that it doesn't an apple mid-morning fills the empty spot.

Why 1.5 servings? Because I found a single serving doesn't keep me full. Why 2% milk? Because I don't like putting blue water on my cereal and it helps to keep me full.

Oh, btw, that breakfast works out to 254 calories, which fits just fine in my daily calorie regime.

Based on the weight of my cereal (corn flakes) the OP's 300 grams would 1071 calories for just the cereal!

(edit to fix a word)
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I've find that the cereals I eat in the morning, whatever brand they are I always lose so much calories in them. Mostly because the bowl I use is for 300 g. Do you guys have any ideas so that I can eat them and not be splurging in calories?

smaller bowl and slice up a banana to fill up some of the space. What cereals are you eating? We make homemade granola which is nutritious, inexpensive, and easy to make.

Right now I eat some called fitness chocolate cereals from a generic portuguese brand. For 100g it's 401 calories.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Easier is to end your marriage with that bowl and look for a petite and sexy one, me thinks.

Petite and sexy crockery, I LOVE THIS ADVICE!! :drinker:
  • cheryld053
    Options
    I love the Kashi brand and I use unsweetened almond milk.