Beat the Holiday Blues Challenge

Options

Replies

• courtneyweiss
    Options
    Hi All!

Time to check in...I'm at 164 this morning. This is down 1 lb since last week! Woohoo (doing a happy dance). I'm pretty happy with this considering I haven't been extra vigilant this week. Have another run planned for tonight, and I'm definitely falling in love with my Wii Fit Plus - more for the strength training and yoga than for the cardio (although, the hula hoop exercise is a little too much fun :laugh: ).

Ha ha, yeah, definitely no snow in San Antonio! There will be loads up here, though! I live in Alberta, right near the rocky mountains (where you can go skiing until May if you go high enough). There's no snow on the ground in Calgary yet, but I can see the mountains from my office window and it looks like they're getting good and covered! The rockies are such a fabulous playground all year long...I feel realy blessed to live here (I'm originally from Saskatchewan where it's flat, flat, flat, flat and more flat).

No big challenges on the horizon until next Friday and Saturday, so I'll have to work really hard until then so I don't feel guilty for a few indulgences.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    So sorry I was MIA yesterday. It just got too hectic. I did weigh in, 123lbs, 1 lb less than the previous week. I am happy I am able to maintain my weight even with the slips. Exercise does help to keep the weight down when you slip nutritionally. :laugh:

I ran my first half marathon this morning. I finished in 2:03 :drinker: :drinker: My goal was 2 hrs so I am pretty happy I was very close. :drinker:

Courtney, congrats on losing one pound!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: That is how you want to do it, a lb a week, one at a time!!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Where is anyone else??? Anyone new wants to join us???

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • courtneyweiss
    Options
    Cheers to you, Alf! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: . Half marathon? In my dreams. Congrats!

And congrats on the 1 lb! We are getting there!
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]202554.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator

Count me in...I have not lost much but I am being so good lately working out, stretching and eating healthy. Hope I can keeo this us during the holidays. When I want to snack I workout, drink water or read Gods word to get whatever out of my head that has me wanting food late at night.
    For some reason I gain more in the summer then winter. I think it is becuase I am in Florida and when the weather cools off I can run and bike more outside. I try to eat low carb during the holidays since the sweets can be so additive just can't eat one.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Welcome njjswim!! Those are really good strategies. :drinker: Do you live near the beach? I love running on the beach but live too far from the coast. :grumble: My husband and I spent a week in South Padre Island in Aug and ran every morning on the beach. It was awesome! This Holiday season I really want to watch my intake of sweets, starting with Halloween. Cookies, cakes, etc are just everywhere! :grumble: :noway:

Courtney, have you done 5Ks? 5Ks are a great starting point, they are so addictive. Then you get ambitious and soon will competing in a 10K and even a half marathon. Just take it one step at a time.

Have a great Sunday!!! :flowerforyou:
  • courtneyweiss
    Options
    Yuppers to the 5 and 10 K! Did a 5 K last year and a 10 earlier this year. I love it. I have a running buddy that does all these with me - and we tend to have a very competitive (but good-natured) spirit!

How was everyone's weekend? Mine was fantastic...although not long enough. :grumble:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hello!!!

Good for you Courtney!! :drinker: You are half way to the half marathon!!! That could be a goal in the coming new year!

My weekend was good. I checked out the final results of the race and I finished 9th out of 33 women that ran the half marathon. The top 8 were younger except for another 45yr old who finished 6th. So I feel pretty good. I can't help it but get a little competitive, especially with myself. :noway: :laugh: On Sat evening I went to a birthday party and I must confess that I had a couple of cupcakes and a beer (MGD 64). I am not drinking much anymore so I could not believe how quickly just one beer went to my head. :laugh: My justification for eating 2 cupcakes and drinking a beer? Burning about 1200 cals during my half marathon that morning. :laugh: I ate very healthy on Sun and so far today.

Where is everyone else??? I am glad you are hanging in here with me Courtney.

:flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I'm here! Sorry I've been absent from this thread for a few days. I promise I will be back soon!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this group if you have room for another? I’ve hit a bit of a slump with several business trips and now a nasty cold that’s set me back, all the way back. Since holidays are a battlefield of the will power it will be great to have an accountability refuge from the temptation of cheese trays, cookies, and anything that can be dipped in almond bark.

I am a runner and plan to start P90X this weekend, so it seems to fit well with everyone.

Care if I join?

Raymond
  • RunRideRay
    Options
    Oops, forgot to give a HOOT for the 1/2 from Alf. Great job!
  • courtneyweiss
    Options
    I believe we are open to any and all new members! Welcome Rainman!

So, all, I upped my daily calorie intake a bit (a little bit risky, I know) and I hit my sweet spot. I increased from 1200 to between 13 and 1400 every day (plus any exercise calories) and I've lost 2 lbs since my weigh-in on Friday. I just hope it doesn't backfire. This includes having pizza for dinner on Sunday night. :happy:

Has anyone done something like this before? Any tips you can share?

My challenges this week are the football wind up on Friday and Halloween on Saturday. Although, I'll have the strength of some fellow MFPers on Saturday (my friends adore this site as much as I do), so I'm sure it will be fine! Just gotta stay strong.
  • RunRideRay
    Options
    Thanks Courtney, I guess I'll call this board my "home for the holidays" :smile:

My 2cents on calorie level.

1st cent
    It's less about actual cal level, and more about consistency with what you eat. The body only burns fat when your glycogen stores (actual sugars in blood stream) are not abundant. So... keeping them balanced is the key. Focusing on foods that don't swing your blood sugars is critical, that's mostly why diets recommend veggies and foods with a low glycemic index (how quickly they conver to blood sugar). Sweets are the absolute killer, even if they are no fat :cry: :cry: .

2nd cent
    Your metabolism will change based on intake, so eating too little and it is damaging. The body will hold onto every calorie as if it's your last. That makes consistency important again. Because, going 2 days good, 1 day bad is havoc on your metabolism, it's always in conserve mode and will try to store fat with the cals from the bad day. I honestly think the 1400 cal/day is a great target.

3rd cent... whoaa
    Get the book "You on a Diet" and read it. The constant one-liners are a bit unbearable, but the content is spot-on and really has some useful insight on metabolism. It will change you.

Hope it helps! Now it's time to practice it myself.:sad: :sad:
    Raymond
  • alf1163
    Options
    Rainman, of course we have room for you or anyone else who wants to join us. There is strength in numbers and we ALL know we are entering a very dangerous zone, starting this weekend. :grumble:

Courtney, increasing your calories is a very good idea. I started seeing better results when I increased my calories sometime this year. Just be careful what you are eating. Try to make good choices as much as possible, clean, non processed foods. Do the best you can. And as Rainman said, try to be consistent as much as possible. Also split your calories in 5-6 small meals, at least that has worked for me wonders. I am on maintenance now, I eat about 2000 calories a day. I am eating all day long, at least that is how I feel sometimes. :laugh: I am doing P90X plus I am running so I need to feed my body. I don't always make the right choices and get the cravings attacks but I am pretty consistent with my meals and meal schedules.

Have a great evening! :flowerforyou:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Sign me up! I just read somewhere that over eating from Halloween to New Year's can account for 10-20 lbs gained over a decade! My biggest obstacle during this time of year is what I can entertainment eating. Too many parties and get togethers.

My goal is to have a plan in place before every event. If it is just a get together with friends, I'm going to set a limit on drinks and snacks and stick to it. If it is traveling for the holidays, I'm going to make sure I have a plan for when and where I will get my exercise done.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Hello all!!

I DID break down yesterday and bought candy corn and dry roasted peanuts...........but most of it is going to work tomorrow for "snack attack", a whole building gathering. I figure I deserve a little indulgence with all the stress in my life right now.

The hubby leaves for Virginia on Nov. 8 to do final outprocessing, and then starts his multiple day journey to Afghanistan on Nov. 13. He IS going for the full 6 months:frown: :frown: . The only good thing about that is that they start counting days on the day he leaves KS, so he'll be home before Mother's Day :smile: :smile: I can be looking great by then!!!:tongue::wink:

The daughters and I are doing OK so far - last night was hard for me; I called my parents and sister to let them know what was going on. They just don't understand why he still has to do things like this deployment when he's retired from the Army.......... I don't think they'll ever understand because they haven't lived the life. My brother understands; he was active duty for 8 years.

The next 10 days are going to fly by, so don't know when I'll be able to check in again............so everyone take care!!!
    Marla
  • constancemwj
    Options
    Hi everyone,,,,,
    I know I've been MIA for a week now,, my life has been so crazy this last week and I've hardly been home at all.... and havn't even looked at my computer until tonight.... but I have been trying to stay good, and sneak some kind of exercise in here and there........ and even thought I didn't report it when I weighted this weekend I was down to 146... :bigsmile: I can't beleive I finally broke past 147.. It's only one lb but its taken me a whole month to get past it.... and being gone so much I sure haven't been temped by the candy,, and the kids finally polished it off anyway this week end.. and no more is coming in this house... not even for Halloween.. I leaving for New Mexico on friday anyway and will be gone all weekend.. no temptation there eather. :laugh: :laugh:
    tomorrow, is a snow day agian,, and I'm supost to help my daughter move... we'lllllll seeeee!!!!!!
    have a great day tomorrow everyone...:drinker:
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Marla - Enjoy your time with your husband! I notice that with six months he won't be home for your anniversary - maybe you should celebrate before he leaves:flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    How is everyone doing?? Sorry, been MIA. I have been craving sweets like crazy. :grumble: :grumble: The sights of candy, cupcakes, goodies of all kinds everywhere is really getting to me and I am not dealing with temptations very well. I know I am close to my TOM and I usually get like that during this time but I am still concerned. My weight was at my goal, 125lbs, but it was about 122 lbs 2 wks ago. I need to focus on fighting temptations now. I am glad I have stayed consistent with my exercise routine.

My husband and I are going out tonight dressed as pirates. :laugh: I am the designated driver so no drinking for me, thank God. :laugh:

Happy Halloween!!! :flowerforyou:
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Howdy Alf! How did the 10K go? Designated Driver is a great way to avoid the alcohol calories. I'm going to remember that this Holiday season and offer to drive when we go out. Unfortunately, a lot of our entertaining happens at home or within our neighborhood. Time to break out the diet tonic again.:drinker:
  • courtneyweiss
    Options
    Hi all! Sorry I've been out for a few days...life gets crazy sometimes. I'm scared to weigh myself now as I gave in to some of the temptations at Halloween and it's close to my TOM. That's a recipe for a good 5 lbs right there. We made healthy curry chicken skewers for dinner on Halloween, but then the treats came out. Sigh. I think this week will be better until Saturday when we help some friends move. Usually the "thank you" food is pizza, so I'll try and keep it to a slice.

Halloween at work wasn't actually that bad! I took Friday afternoon off because everyone was just goofing around anyways. It was a good way to avoid the inevitable treats that come around every year.

Hope everyone is doing great!