Ate exercise cal's back....and gained....am NOT sold!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    I love this post. Not sure what was meant by getting fat by eating fruits and veggies. I have lived this way for over a month and had great results from my diet and working out. It feels great and looks great!! I dont see postives in chowing down on sweets and fried foods! I could be wrong but at some point we have to own up to our own diets! Our eating habts are a majority of our problems. I think once we get our eating habits down and our body adjusts properly, we will start to see results. Maybe seeing a doc who specializes in diet will help...
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Wow....that's a lot of varying advice!!!! I did go ahead and order a HRM....while it may not be completely accurate, hopefully it will be MORE accurate than what I've been logging from MFP!

As far as my diet (for those that wondered), I generally have a protein shake for breakfast, another protein shake or meal replacement for lunch with a fruit and sugar free jello and a protein bar for a snack. The left over calories go to dinner and p.m. snack (which meant when I was told to eat my exercise calories back.....it all happened at night after work.) That may be a factor.

My plan for now is to use the HRM when it gets here from Amazon and eat only 1/2 or a portion of the exercise calories back and see if it picks back up my weight loss.

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO POSTED!!!:tongue:
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    I never eat them back and it works for me!
  • backonbandwagon
    Options
    It is a science to get the balance right for each person - the part that is killing me is finding that balancing point! I woke up in the middle of the night the other night because I was so hungry. I have never done that. Yet, I showed a 3 lb gain. Depressed? Yes :explode: One day I hope to "crack the code". Until then I am trying to stay positive and know that I am doing my body and mind good by eating healthy and staying active.
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    So, through a mish-mash of various sites and calculations and theories, this is what I've come up with. I'm 5'3" and currently 134lb. As such, my BMR is around 1350, and I would need to net around 1700 calories to maintain my current weight.

For weight loss at one pound per week, one needs a deficit of 500 calories per day. Thus, if I eat approximately 1500 calories and exercise 250 calories off, that puts me pretty close to a 500 cal deficit without dropping me below BMR. If I eat back those 250 exercise calories, it only gives me an overall deficit of around 200-250 (thus predicted weight loss of up to 1/2 pound per week, or less). For the past month, I've been eating back those calories and my weight has stayed pretty stable so I'm going to try NOT eating back those 250 exercise calories. If for some reason I exercise more than 250 calories, I will eat those back so as not to drop the deficit too much. Likewise, if I start feeling weak, tired, or just crappy in general I'll go back to eating those extras.

Plus, it does give me a bit of a buffer if I miscalculate my intake or overdo something particularly yummy!

PS: As a general rule, I try to overestimate calories in and underestimate calories out. I primarily do elliptical for cardio, and I use the calories calculated by the machine rather than MFP. The machine takes into account my speed and resistance as well as weight. I know they're prob both wrong, but I calculate in the lower number. Yeah, I know, I need a HRM!
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Not eating cals back works to a point. And then, eventually you hit a wall, and working the right balance of cals in and out becomes much more crucial to longer term loss.

Eventually we all plateau, though. I don't think it's automatically due to not eating enough. As you get closer to goal it does become more critical to get your estimates right, so if 'eating back' is one estimate you can skip, that might help some people.

When I was eating at 1200 or below ( I am 4'11" 101.8lbs) all I saw was that i maintained or worst my weight went up! I exercise regularly 6 times/week with an HRM based Cal expenditure of approx 400 to 450. Saw a nutritionist and she upped my calories to 1450 (slowly) and since then I am seeing a drop in weight over the past 3 months ( now at 97.5lbs). It is excruciatingly slow...like .2lbs/week. She wants me to eat around 1600!! So I guess it depends on person to person and level of activity.