Squat Troubles

Options
13»

Replies

• sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused with all this. From what I've been told and what I've seen I thought you didn't have to keep your back straight? Well, straight as in not curved but not vertical. If that makes sense. I've been doing that and it works for me. I really feel it in the backs of my thighs and my butt. Confusion!

Also to the OP, I have a problem with my left knee. It's chronic and I've seena physio etc so I do wear a knee support for all of my exercise. As long as I keep the weight in my heels when I squat and use my thighs and butt then my knee is fine.

If you mean your back should not be vertical you are correct. Your back should be arched, breath held, abs forced out. When it gets heavy a proper belt to push your abs against is good. The biggest cue is bar in line with your midfoot.

Ahh then I've been doing it right which I'm pretty relieved about actually. Thanks!!
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

i sowwy :flowerforyou:

dont want you to get hurt :sad:

the other good thing about doing squats off the smith machine is that you also work your core muscles. the day after squat day i will sometimes feel like i've done 5 minutes worth of planks :laugh:

I forgive you... I will have to look into this though... I am kinda worried about messing up my back (I had a herniated disk when I was pregnant with my second and could not walk without pain for a very long time...) so I am glad to know that the smith machine can be bad for my back... will have to figure out the proper way to do them... I like doing squats because it helps when I go out to do my "real" exercise... climbing mountains ;)
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bump
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    bump
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    On the stronglifts 5x5 site you should be able to find a video of proper form and that you need to go bellow parallel to reap the benefits of squatting. A weightlifting champion friend of mine has a saying " when you squat its *kitten* to the grass":bigsmile:
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    squats are one of the worst exercises for someone with knee troubles, so if your knee hurts, get that checked out. when i was in physical therapy, we did wall squats. took some pressure off my knee, but still built up my thigh muscles. go to a doctor.
    I've had knee problems forever from sports. usually by seasons end I couldn't walk without pain, and had to take pain killers just to play.

When I started squatting heavy, knee pain disappeared. Strong as an ox now.

Nothing screws up your knees than poor form squats. But nothing unscrews your knees faster than properly done heavy squats. Don't fear them, embrace them. Your knees will thank you.

that said, to the OP. I havn't seen it mentioned yet, which is odd as you said what the problem is. You're trying to keep your knees in front of your toes. WRONG. Knees can go as far past the toes as need be and it's totally safe. Look at yourself in a mirror doing body weight squats from the side. If your shins and back are parallel, your form is correct and knees by and large are safe assuming they are tracking with hips/toes properly. If that means your knees go way past your toe line, that is perfectly fine.

Your knees being behind your toes means you need to bend over further to keep the bar above your foot. And it increases hip sheer force by an exponential amount and introduces a lot more back stress. Don't fall for the knees behind toes BS.
  • beka3
    beka3 Posts: 30
    Options
    Im learning how to do squats with my pt he said that my knees should not pass my toes, my stance should be same width as my shoulders, to stick my butt out, suck in my core and go for it. i have to do 3 reps of 12 they kill me i can never sit properly afterwards lol wish my muscles will learn already lol
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    On the stronglifts 5x5 site you should be able to find a video of proper form and that you need to go bellow parallel to reap the benefits of squatting. A weightlifting champion friend of mine has a saying " when you squat its *kitten* to the grass":bigsmile:

While I like the Stronglifts program as a guide for what lifts to do and how to increase the weight, I found that his videos and guides weren't terribly helpful for me in learning correct form. If I had been able to record myself and compare the two, that would have been a different story, I suppose.

In any case, Medhi's a good lifter who's put a nice amount of research into the Stronglifts program, but he doesn't really seem to be a good coach. Books and videos by Mark Rippetoe and Glenn Pendlay have been invaluable to me (particularly Starting Strength).