13»

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I go to PF with my husband and I have NEVER been told

1) you can't lift heavy -- I squat very heavy and have NEVER been yelled at
    Or
    2) you can't do dead lifts-- I do dead lifts all the time as do others at the gym and again, no issues

In fact there are some guys that go there wo are in phenomenal shape and worked all the heavy plates from every smith machine, load up and lift and not once have they ever been told to go home or they are not allowed to do that there. Whoever is spouting that crap is an idiot or just being a plain old douche bag. If I was told that when I walked in the door I'd laugh and do my workout.

As for the "pizza parties" and "bagel day" it's once a month and guess what? NO ONE FORCES THE STUFF DOWN YOUR THROAT! It's your choice to eat or (brace yourselves) OT eat the stuff. No one forces you. I have been there on "pizza ought" and never took a slice. I am there on bagel day and drink the free coffee and leave the bagels. What's the difference between tha and those gyms tha offer "healthy" smoothies that have thousands of calories and fat in them? And don't tell me it's the health factor because I wouldn't down a smoothie that has 900 calories regardless of what it has in it any more then I would eat a slice of pizza post workout.

Yes it's cheap. Yes there aren't as many weight options depending upon the gym (they are independently owned franchises so each TM can have different equipment) but I get to go for free as a guest on my husbands membership where as th "big fancy gym" he used to go t I had to pay a $12 day pass every time I wanted to go which was about four times a month so $12 vs FREE? I take free all day long.

So whats the whole lunk alarm thing for? Also, why would anyone wanna load up the smith machine anyway :ohwell:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Or
    2) you can't do dead lifts-- I do dead lifts all the time as do others at the gym and again, no issues

In fact there are some guys that go there wo are in phenomenal shape and worked all the heavy plates from every smith machine, load up and lift and not once have they ever been told to go home or they are not allowed to do that there. Whoever is spouting that crap is an idiot or just being a plain old douche bag. If I was told that when I walked in the door I'd laugh and do my workout.

As for the "pizza parties" and "bagel day" it's once a month and guess what? NO ONE FORCES THE STUFF DOWN YOUR THROAT! It's your choice to eat or (brace yourselves) OT eat the stuff. No one forces you. I have been there on "pizza ought" and never took a slice. I am there on bagel day and drink the free coffee and leave the bagels. What's the difference between tha and those gyms tha offer "healthy" smoothies that have thousands of calories and fat in them? And don't tell me it's the health factor because I wouldn't down a smoothie that has 900 calories regardless of what it has in it any more then I would eat a slice of pizza post workout.

Yes it's cheap. Yes there aren't as many weight options depending upon the gym (they are independently owned franchises so each TM can have different equipment) but I get to go for free as a guest on my husbands membership where as th "big fancy gym" he used to go t I had to pay a $12 day pass every time I wanted to go which was about four times a month so $12 vs FREE? I take free all day long.

So whats the whole lunk alarm thing for? Also, why would anyone wanna load up the smith machine anyway :ohwell:

At my gym it's for the idiot who talks really loud and slams everything he touches and is just all around annoying. They never sound the alarm on anyone.

I don't get your question about loading the smith machine. It's the only thing there for heavy squats (aside from the sled) and chest press. Dumbbells only go up to 60 lbs and there are no bars or squat racks so you have to use the smith machine.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I love planet fitness. I have never felt more comfortable in a gym. It is great for people on a budget, people who are just starting out, or people who will just go occasionally. I really like the trainer, he was incredibly helpful and made me very comfortable with all of the machines I didn't understand.

Starting to go to a gym for the first time can be intimidating...I truly felt comfortable there and can't wait for my next workout every time I walk out the door.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Or

Pretty sure its when you are deadlifting 400+ lbs and you can't set the weight back down anymore without throwing your back out so you have to drop it.

If you're deadlifting 400+ pounds, then you're in a very small percentage of today's over-all gym membership demographic. Yes there was a day and a time when gyms were dominated by body builders and roid'ed out gym rats looking for their next adrenaline fix (note I separate those two for a reason). The fact is today's gyms are dominated by middle-class professionals, service folks and such (your typical average joe) who just want to be fit and healthy. Many are very serious about their health and very committed to being fit and there's no reason that can't be done at a Planet Fitness.

I know there's this chic little clique of folks on here who say things like if you're not deadlifting or squatting you're not serious about getting fit and honestly it's complete bullsh!t. I'm very serious about being fit and fairly well chiseled in fact. Feel free to check out my pics in my profile, that's a body compliments of Planet Fitness, built with no deadlifting and only limited squats. Will I ever be a competition body? No. I don't want to be. I'm perfectly happy at 9-10% body fat, enough strength to pickup a 180lb speaker cabinet, hoist it over my head and put it on a 1 3/4" pole five feet up in the air and enough speed to keep up with 20 year old semi-professional soccer players for 90 minutes on a Sunday afternoon. I think most here and at my club would be pretty happy with the same.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Seems just like the Body Exchange chain in Vancouver that banned everyone who isn't overweight. So, what happens when you lose the weight? Bye-bye membership? Sounds like a brilliant business plan as long as you keep your clients' success to a minimum.

As a fairly small lady who enjoys picking things up and putting them back down, this doesn't sound like a gym for me. I'm happy with Snap. No frills, just weights, equipment, washrooms, and open 24hrs a day. I see a good blend of people who are serious about a wide range of fitness goals. People are friendly and helpful. Really, it's a nice 4 month break from my campus gym!

Spelling edit.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Or

At my gym it's for the idiot who talks really loud and slams everything he touches and is just all around annoying. They never sound the alarm on anyone.

I don't get your question about loading the smith machine. It's the only thing there for heavy squats (aside from the sled) and chest press. Dumbbells only go up to 60 lbs and there are no bars or squat racks so you have to use the smith machine.

So they'd rather you risk injury than put in a squat rack I see...
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    heh
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I go to PF because I can afford it: I would love to have a gym with a pool, but my hair doesn't like the chlorine (lol!). I have cardio, weight machines & free weights to use there and at home I've got my own mini-gym with DVD's, step, light dumbbells (Hubz is a heavy dumbbell if I need it... JOKING people!!), resistance bands, etc. I can't afford a personal trainer & most times I'd never make the appointments due to work so PF works for me.

The people that run it know me because I'm in there several times a week (they get worried when I'm not around for a bit!), I can go to any PF with a guest if I want (yes, I splurged & got the Black Card as Hubz is supposed to come with me, but his work sched is more unreliable than mine & I'm the exercise junkie anyway!)

If anyone goes to any in my area, let me know - would love to have at least a once a week gym buddie (male or female, just know I don't go to the gym to look around, I go to workout!)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Or

So they'd rather you risk injury than put in a squat rack I see...

Or you can choose to not belong to PF. Fortunately, nobody is forcing anyone to join...