Vowing not to excercise

Options
HI all,

i'm taking a new go at loss this time around... by not exercising. I've found that trying to become a runner and all round healthy eater at once is too much for me. I've read a lot on willpower that backs this up... Basically it makes more sense to focus on one goal rather than revamping your whole life.

I get so hungry after exercising that if I start an exercise routine without first getting my sugar cravings under control, I'm just setting myself up for failure.

My weight has never been derived from lack of exercising, anyway. its from too much food and general inactivity. A couple runs a week don't help if you're not moving moving moving throughout the day. I'm trying to clean more and generally MOVE MORE rather than go for a run. (Clean house more regularly, take more stairs, stand up at work more frequently, etc)

Also, It's hard to run when you are heavy!! Losing another 10 lbs will make it easier on my joints and I won't be as exhausted when I do run. (I used to run when I was slimmer, and boy does it feel different now!)

Anyone else agree with this? Am I crazy?

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Running certainly isn't the only exercise. I've walked off 45 pounds, mostly outdoors. There's a lot of choices at the gym, for strength training and cardio. Something for everyone.

No, you don't have to exercise to lose weight, but most people find it easier to achieve their weight loss goals if they do exercise. For me, exercise is fundamental to good health. It's that simple.
  • lunagirl818
    Options
    Yeah, why not walk? It is low impact.
  • dwyadygwyad
    dwyadygwyad Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Like I said, it's hard to implement a new diet and a new exercise routine all at once.

I run every so often, but I don't make it my focus. I make my diet my focus, and MOVING more my focus. This way, I get something out of the "exercise"... ie, a clean floor or vacuumed rug... and it doesn't feel like such an overhaul.

Basically, it makes my goals more manageable.

I do walk- I live in NYC, I walk a lot. I'll choose to walk over taking the subway, but what I won't do is get home, put on exercise clothes and say "I'm going to walk for 45 minutes at this pace this many times a week"... it's just too much.

I prefer at this point to incorporate exercise in a less formal way. When I'm lighter, I can start running in a way where I can make goals of time and distance. But I'm not there yet.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Why not strength train? It helps maintain muscle mass, which helps you KEEP off what you lose. It also helps maintain bone mass, helps fight certain diseases, and even improves mood! I never had any success until I added strength training. Now I am in better shape at 46 than I was at 26! I NEVER run (hate it), but I do "cardio exercises" (treadmill walking, bike, etc) to add cardiovascular health to the mix and you really only need around 20 minutes 3x a week for that.

>>>>>http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/growingstronger/why/index.html

http://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness/add-strength-training-to-your-workout.aspx
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    No you don't need to workout to lose weight, although it does help, personally I love the difference to how it makes my body look, that's the best result of working out!!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    You might look into getting a Fitbit, a sort of high tech pedometer. They run about $100...the best $100 I've spent in a long time. Fitbit will track all your activities throughout the day and you might be pleasantly surprised to see how it does all add up. Plus, then you can set a goal, if you wish, to take more steps than you did yesterday (or last week).

Having a Fitbit has definitely helped me achieve my weight loss goal. It's pretty addictive!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you have convinced yourself to be lazy. congratulations.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I really didn't start "exercising" until I had lost 25 lbs, although, like you, I was moving more. For me I just changed the little things before I moved onto the big things. The more I lost, the more I was motivated to exercise. I am now doing strength training, NROLFW to be exact. Do what works for YOU. Don't worry about anything/anyone else. You'll get there. Good luck!
  • oldsalty1
    oldsalty1 Posts: 70
    Options
    This is a journey....what ever will work for you...
    I had to up my calories to be able to work out...lack of energy and not eating enough set me up for binges..2 weeks of upped calories and cutting back on my exercise to 1 hour a day....I lost 5 lbs...No binges...
    Get your food clean and keep up with your added movement and then you can work back into the exercise routine.
    There is no one way for everyone...find your niche and stay with it...Tweek it when necessary...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You can focus on eating right or cutting out something specific from your diet while just getting more active. I think vowing to not exercise is the wrong approach. Why not join a team or find something fun that makes you more active? Increasing muscle mass and improving your cardiovascular health are just as important as dropping fat. You don't have to "exercise" but you really should re-think that vow.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. Who are we to judge? Good luck!
  • lunagirl818
    Options
    I weigh a lot more than you, and I can run. I am not sure where your current weight is an inhibitor to exercise. I may not be able to run fast, but I can do it.

I am not saying you should go change your routine. Do what you want. I just think the "I will do it when I am lighter" is a bit of an excuse.
  • insectseige
    Options
    you have convinced yourself to be lazy. congratulations.

Ignore this - whatever works for you at the moment - later on you may want to incorporate exercise or you may not - it's your choice
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I think your approach is very sensible and healthy. You can add in exercise when you're ready and have a good handle on why you gain weight. Life is about being mobile and I think that will help with changing a lifestyle for good!
  • avalonwomon
    Options
    Sounds good to me. You have to find what is right for you. If you are happy with this plan, then you are good to go. And it does make sense - trying to change a whole bunch of habits at once makes things a lot harder than they need to be.

:happy:
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I also cant pressure myself to do too much at one go. I am concentrating on my food choices at the moment. Went to Iceland yesterday and looked at EVERY packet nutritional values, and put a lot of things back on the shelf when I saw what was really in it - that alone is progress for me. If I can get my food under control, exercise will come with time - but at the moment, not being able to do much makes me deflated, and leads to pain in my joints

*edit*
    I am walking a little more - instead of getting a taxi to Iceland (1 mile away) i walked it there and back
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You have to do things the best that's for you, if you feel not exerciseing is best for you then by all means do it. When I started this I also did not exercise, not even a little bit. I started in January and didn't start exerciseing until the end of April and I was losing just fine
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Try it and see! Weight loss is mostly down to goo nutrition, so you should certainly see results. You'r body shape would certainly benefit form some exercise, but it's what you eat that will have the biggest effect on your weight.
  • LisaB55
    LisaB55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I didn't exercise for the first 6 weeks, either. I felt as if I had so many habits to change and thought that I was more likely to stick with any changes I did make if I didn't start off getting discouraged and feeling like a failure. Food was easier for me than exercise since I work about 12 hours most days. I finally reached the point that I was so hungry I needed to be able to eat a few more calories, so last week I added 30 mins of HITT on the elliptical. I managed 2 days over last weekend and did 4 this week. Now if I can just figure out how to work in weight lifting. Baby steps, right?
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be successful (based on my experience :smile: ).
    I started regular attendance at the gym in January, just cardio.
    In March I had gained confidence and added some strength training.
    It's now July and I feel it has taken me a good few months to come to terms with the need to add into my healthy mix a cleaner, more controlled diet. I have been watching calories since April, but it's taken months to stay focused on better eating. It's only now that I feel I can manage both exercise and a better diet. For some reason I am finding it easier to eat better now, and I think that's for the reason you have said, sometimes it can be too much to change everything in your life.

Good luck! You can do it, pace yourself. Rome wasn't built in a day.