Vowing not to excercise

Options

Replies

• Afterblue
    Afterblue Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You're not crazy. Identifying your "weaknesses" per se and doing something about them does not make you crazy. One goal at a time... or at least not too many ;)
    This. After all you didn't say vowing NEVER to exercise.

There are some people who can do everything at once and more power to them. However, making small realistic changes over time is the best way to ensure you will make the lifestyle overhaul needed to keep the weight off for the rest of your life.

I would however say that I hope you do consider adding exercise in little increments as your food habits get in a healthier place. Exercise has more benefits than just weight loss, and as a woman weight training and cardiovascular activity will help your bones, joints, flexibility, lung capacity and make it easier for your body to tackle the times when your food habits do go a bit awry (think Thanksgiving). I am not a proponent of dieting alone, as some people here are, but a huge proponent of making smaller, manageable changes over time. You are changing your lifestyle here and it involves a lot of bits and pieces that you will need to manage.
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would do the opposite from what you are suggesting. Start by getting an exercise routine down - whether that be running, walking, strength, or a combination. Even if you overeat while you are exercising, you will still be building some muscle. Once you have the exercise part integrated into your life, you can start incorporating dieting. Since you would have built some more lean mass, the pounds will drop off even faster than if you just did dieting by itself to start off.

Anything you lose right now by dieting and not exercising will be a huge chunk of muscle (along with the fat). That will only slow your metabolism and make it harder to pick up exercising later on.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    So how about you exercise and eat more? That is kind of how MFP is set up.. you eat back what you exercise off and still wind up in a deficit at the end of the day and lose weight.

I really don't see how this so complicated.. Log what you eat, exercise, lose weight and look better.. Simple.

Also, cleaning is not exercise nor is walking to the subway, taking the stairs at work etc... That is part of your lifestyle and you should treat it as such.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    There are good reasons to start exercise later. Weight Watchers is one plan that doesn't have people hit the gym or the track in week 1. Lose a few pounds, see how things work, get some confidence. Success breeds success. Adding exercise out of nowhere can cause a stall for a while. If you don't lose in your first week or two, rational people usually quit their plan.

Plus there is the whole 'eating back' issue here. You will be able to judge better if your TDEE and intake estimates are decent if you don't also add in 'eating back' to the equation right off the bat. Keep it simple at first.

I don't know if there is really any significant 'lean body mass sparing effect' from running or not running for a couple months of one's diet. You'd think studies would show that dieters who don't exercise are ruining their bodies, if so, and we'd all be strongly cautioned against it.

I've lost significant weight both ways. In both cases, I was just a smaller version of myself at the end.
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    There are many other forms of exercise rather than running.
    May I ask how much you weigh? You said you're too heavy to run and it's hard on your joints which is understandable.
    However I weighed about 225 when I first began to run and it makes a BIG difference running on outside pavement vs treadmill, the treadmill is a lot less pressure on your joints.
    I don't agree with the statement that "running 3x a week" wont do anything unless I move move move...
    Even getting exercise in 3x a week makes a huge difference!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This is what worked for me actually. I spent my first couple of months on MFP learning to eat better. I very occasionally exercised, but I really waited about 2 months before I started exercising regularly and even then, it was only 2 to 3 times per week.
  • Trsthr
    Trsthr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No, you're not crazy. Past experience has shown me that when I exercise too much, I get a false sense of security that triggers eating. This time, I just concentrate on eating better while staying under my calorie limit. We can shovel it in faster than we can burn it off.

I do go to the gym twice a week, but it's more to move and stay mobile vs. trying to burn up 500 calories. I lift light weights, do a few calisthenics and walk/jog on the treadmill. I never overdue it. I enjoy the gym now instead of dreading it.

I understand what you mean, one focus at a time.
  • todietfor
    todietfor Posts: 48
    Options

Ignore the negative comments. Some people are ridiculous.

lol...how ironic. you confirm her choice to not exercise and those who say exercise is a better approach are ridiculous.

thats so funny and so sad.

No, I don't think anyone with differing opinions is ridiculous, nor people who support exercise. But there's a difference between suggesting ways to ease in to exercise (as OP said she was trying to do) and telling her she's convinced herself to be lazy. The latter kind of negative comment is what I deemed ridiculous.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to ignore the people who aren't supportive of your choices. They don't know you as a person, nor do they know your body and what it is capable of. If you think your way will be successful then do it and do it the best way you possibly can. Once you have a solid grasp on eating healthy, I encourage you to pick up some exercise even once a week. Taking it in steps may be the best choice for you at this time. Congratulations on starting your journey!
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to run to exercise. There are plenty of other options, like taking a walk, hiking, swimming, doing a DVD like Jillian or Biggest loser (you can still take them pretty easy first starting too)
    For me personally, if I don't go for a walk or do some kind of exercise, I set myself up for failure. I don't do the whole just cut calories and don't exercise thing. It doesn't work for me at all. Plus, after a good walk, or workout, I feel a lot better. When you first start, it is really hard to change your whole lifestyle around. I started out with walks in the mornings, then moved up my exercise as I went along to how much I felt I could handle. My suggestion would be to exercise too if you rare looking to get healthy. Even if it's just a 20 min walk. :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Do what you want. You don't need anyone's permission.
  • dwyadygwyad
    dwyadygwyad Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No, you're not crazy. Past experience has shown me that when I exercise too much, I get a false sense of security that triggers eating. This time, I just concentrate on eating better while staying under my calorie limit. We can shovel it in faster than we can burn it off.

I do go to the gym twice a week, but it's more to move and stay mobile vs. trying to burn up 500 calories. I lift light weights, do a few calisthenics and walk/jog on the treadmill. I never overdue it. I enjoy the gym now instead of dreading it.

I understand what you mean, one focus at a time.

EXACTLY- "false sense of security that triggers eating", so well said! Basically, I'm not ready for an exercise regimen yet- basically because I'm way better at exercising than I am eating!!! I can run 3-5 miles but I can't control how I eat after it- not yet at least. If I start a running routine again without getting my sugar under control- for me it's the sugar/ carb train that is my downfall, I'm just going to be doing the same thing I've always done.

If I do what I've always done, I'll get what I've always gotten. Time to focus on what I really need to change- cleaning up my diet.
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    I'm not sure how to respond...but if I had the choice to exercise I would. I have a broken back, in a wheelchair,.... awaiting surgery. The only "exercise" I'm allowed to have is under supervision during Physical Therapy. I've still been able to control what goes in my mouth. It's possible to lose weight without exercise, sure..... but if you only knew what it's like to not have that option, maybe you'd try to get in some form of exercise routine. Walking, anything. Please do!

My ultimate goal is not a number on the scale - I'm going to recover from surgery and run again. Those that can run now, JUST DO IT!!
  • Becky3701
    Becky3701 Posts: 49
    Options
    I would do the opposite from what you are suggesting. Start by getting an exercise routine down - whether that be running, walking, strength, or a combination. Even if you overeat while you are exercising, you will still be building some muscle. Once you have the exercise part integrated into your life, you can start incorporating dieting. Since you would have built some more lean mass, the pounds will drop off even faster than if you just did dieting by itself to start off.

Anything you lose right now by dieting and not exercising will be a huge chunk of muscle (along with the fat). That will only slow your metabolism and make it harder to pick up exercising later on.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you know, this doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" kind of thing. you can start trying to eat better a little bit every week, and a little bit every week you try and be a little better at running/exercising.

so many people tell themselves "oh, i'm going to eat better!!" and throw away all their junk food and anything that isn't healthy. and then two weeks later when they stop at a gas station and go inside to pay, they pick themselves up every snack in sight.

or they tell themselves they want to be a runner, so of course they pick up a marathon training plan and aren't prepared for the distances, the speed, the time, the fuel necessary to maintain the training, and succumb to fatigue and injuries.
  • Becky3701
    Becky3701 Posts: 49
    Options

^^^
    This is a good idea. In the past I started out just exercising- soon after I WANTED to eat healthier.
  • dwyadygwyad
    dwyadygwyad Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I should have made myself clearer. I'm not opposed to exercise. I'm just not focusing on a regimen right now.

I will continue to exercise.

THE KEY IS, I'm not going to fool myself into thinking it's going to save me from all the calories I've eaten.
  • whatsajosh
    whatsajosh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hear you!! :smile: The last thing I wanted to do every day was work out after waking up at 3am and going to work BUT I started reading more about health and realized how important it is to get moving. I'm a radio guy so I sit behind a mic most of the day, the laziest of lazy! LOL But my dad died of cancer, my mom came close, people are depressed now more than ever and I came to the realization that I want none of that. I don't want to be fit for looks, I want to be healthy (mind, body and soul) and all that starts with exercise.

I found working on small goals really helped lead to larger ones.

Good luck!
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    you have convinced yourself to be lazy. congratulations.
    Yeah and that profile pic is you! Easy to knock isn't it?
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Just thought maybe you'd find these pages helpful to encourage you however you decide to take things
    https://www.facebook.com/notadiet
    https://www.facebook.com/gokaleo

I mention these as my own inspiration because they're normal ladies who've found their health and happiness in their own ways. Good luck with whichever path you take, and here's to a healthy and happy life! :drinker: