soy milk VS almond milk VS coconut milk

Options

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Real coconut milk comes from a coconut, not a tetrapak. The better option would be to get a can of Native Forest or Thai Kitchen. The others are franken-foods.
    That said, I don't have a preference between almond or coconut but IMO soy is the devil.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    My kiddos prefer almond milk- I make it at home in my juicer from soaked almonds.. I personally like coconut milk in the can best
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been wondering about it!
    Oh and as far as coconut water I have a few health addicts as friends and they do not! Recommend drinking it! Acording to them it's not good nutrionally, just a waste of money. Of course I don't have personal experience, this is just what I've heard.
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    why is soy milk bad for you?
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have read that soy mimics estrogen in the body which can impact fertility and upset the normal hormone balance. From what I understand, fermented soy, like what is often found in Asian diets, is a bit different because the fermentation process reduces some of these effects. There is soy in so many packaged foods in the US, and it is not the fermented kind - I found a soy product in my herbal tea recently. So for myself I am trying to avoid loading up on it where I can.

I don't really understand it enough to give advice, and don't want to spread misinformation, but there is lots of information available online, from both sides of the argument.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of speculation and rumour online, but little in the way of scientific tests.

I switched to it during menopause because I WANTED any oestrogen mimicking properties. But I accept that it wont be everyone's choice.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I prefer it straight from the utter, although I live on a farm and I'm not afraid of real food.
  • daughterofthesea
    daughterofthesea Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I usually drink either soy or almond milk (purely because I prefer the taste) and I think they're both OK. I don't really look at the processing/negative effects, mostly because it's a lifestyle choice for me rather than a health choice.

Hope that helps in a small way :)
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I use raw pumpkin seed milk. I make it at home in a blender, no straining needed, cheaper, lots of nutrients...
    I sweeten mine with stevia for less calories and sugar. Add some raw cacao and a few ice cubes for a healthy chocolate shake.

Video on how to make:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpPZGXA1_7o

Enjoy...

Wow, this sounds interesting...thanks for posting this reply...
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    where's the regular milk option?
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have had the coconut water "straight" out of the container and it was horrible! :( I've heard, however, it is great to use in other things, though I have not tried it! I'm not a big fan of coconut to start off with, but you may like it if you enjoy that taste already!
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have done soy, almond, and So Delicious Coconut Beverage (lower calorie and sodium than all the rest). I am lactose intolerant and actually went back to drinking lactose free milk. I do not get enough potassium (allergic to bananas) and the lactose free milk provides the most. Here are my thoughts on all:

1. Almond - yummy
    2. So Delicious coconut - yummy nice change once in a while.
    3. Soy - left really bad grainy feeling in my mouth. Drank the whole thing but still could not get past the texture.
    4. Coconut water - loads of potassium but not worth the price.

Will have to try the almond/coconut blend when out of my current one.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I prefer it straight from the utter, although I live on a farm and I'm not afraid of real food.
    for some of us it is not about being afraid of real food ..it's about our bodies not being able to process dairy. just an FYI
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk. Soy I am allergic to and it causes goiters for me. Coconut also allergic to. Otherwise I would try it. I am curious about the flax milk. Hmmm
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Have no idea which is better - soy's higher in protein, but I used to drink "light" to get rid of some of the fat. Almond milk's my favorite, I drink it unsweetened and alternate between "vanilla" and "original". I just bought a coconut/almond milk blend, unsweetened, that I'm going to try in the next week or so. Coconut milk is usually high in saturated fat, just an FYI.
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I love the almond milk... I usually drink the almond/coconut blend.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I like soy milk chocolate soy milk to be exact. I haven't tried almond milk or coconut milk because I don't think any of the stores around where I live have it. I could be wrong. I know they have soy milk. Before I started drinking soy milk I drank 2% milk which I still do every now and then but I think I just have a taste for soy milk.
  • tessavonhagen
    tessavonhagen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Flax milk.
    25 calories per cup plus omega 3's.

were do you find that at?
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    my vote is for soy milk. I have it in my oatmeal (sometimes- usually I make it with water though), in my tea, in recipes. I can't have almond milk as i'm allergic to almonds.
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I prefer soy for the low sugar... almond.. idr if there was a sugar free... but i remember having an option with almond that was almost water like to get the "best" option.. so I thought.. hmmmm this is like I'm paying for water kinda....

So the soy milk I like the taste mainly... that's the reason and sugar as I mentioned...