moo cow milk:drinker:
  • hskorija
    hskorija Posts: 13
    Options
    Why not skim milk?
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried hemp milk? I keep seeing the Tempt brand in the stores but haven't braved trying it out. I usually do Silk Light Soy, but I'm almost out and I think I'm going to check out the almond/coconut blend.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk is full of saturated fat but don't let that mislead you. It is a great product, with a very unique fat make up that is very beneficial for exercise, especially if you are on a low carbohydrate diet. Cocounut oil for cooking is also great for this reason.

Also, calories per cup, coconut milk is much lower than even skim milk. It is only slightly calories more per cup than almond milk. I don't know much about soy, and do not eat it, so I don't have much to offer in that regard.

Stay away from the sugary versions of all of them. You can get unsweetened if you look for it. And unsweetened is not the same as regular. Watch out!
  • mkcreek
    mkcreek Posts: 10
    Options
    I just tried almond milk on my cereal and like not only the taste but the texture. My grandson, who is allergic to soy, milk, and all nuts, drinks rice milk (he's 2). I have noticed that the rice milk tends to separate when it sits for a bit. I'm not sure what that means in terms of taste, but it certainly doesn't look very appetizing.
  • MrEyeCandy
    MrEyeCandy Posts: 15
    Options
    Almond milk, vanilla flavor. love it. The dark chocolate flavor is a nice after dinner treat as well!
  • size08
    size08 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've just recently given up drinking soya milk and blow 'n' behold my weight has been easier to control. I was off it for 2 weeks, I had to go back and drink the remaining calton in my cuboard (don't like waste) and it was like drinking milk which had been heavily laid with added sugar dispite the calton saying No added sugar! I ended up throwing the rest of the soya milk down the sink. what a waste of money. I believe it's not a natural product. alas:- enters coconut milk & almond!:bigsmile:
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Good ol fashion moo milk.... i have tried almond milk unsweetened and it wasnt bad.....made my protein shakes a little thicker.... i drink skim milk tho...
  • kabirmasto
    kabirmasto Posts: 28
    Options
    @mandypizzle: coconut water is the liquid inside the young (tender) coconuts, before it solidifies into the white flesh that we eat and make the milk from. It's definitely not a substitute for milk at all, but is a delicious, nutritious and refreshing drink. As far as I know you can only get it fresh from the tree (I live in India where it is sold on the side of the road all over). A whole coconut drink is only 24 calories and is high in protein, low in fat and high in carbs. You obviously don't live in a tropical country, because you'd know about it, but if you visit one ever, be sure to try it, it's amazing :smile:
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is higher in protein but I think I have a mild intolerance, it upsets my stomach sometimes :/ I prefer the taste of almond milk though. Usually keep the vanilla flavor around the house. It's good in iced coffee.
  • Pacificplayland
    Options
    I use raw pumpkin seed milk. I make it at home in a blender, no straining needed, cheaper, lots of nutrients...
    I sweeten mine with stevia for less calories and sugar. Add some raw cacao and a few ice cubes for a healthy chocolate shake.

Video on how to make:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpPZGXA1_7o

Enjoy...

This sounds great! I will have to try for sure :drinker:
  • angeliathatsme
    angeliathatsme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is my fave. It makes delicious hot chocolate with a great nutty undertone! :smile:
  • Bijou86
    Bijou86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like lactose free milk... but in terms of those choices (my family) drinks almond milk. It doesn't have the chalky taste like soy milk, and I stay away from all things coconut (doc's orders for my hypercholesterolemia).
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I use soy for drinking because of the higher protein, and unsweetened almond milk for cooking because of the more neutral taste. I avoid coconut milk because of the higher fat content.
  • footdoc6
    footdoc6 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you are lactose intolerant, you can try Lactaid, I drink that, well Target's Market Pantry brand, and it tastes like regular skim milk.
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'd just try what you like best and whatever best works for you. There's always a plus to minus it seems like, in the first place. They all taste good, at least to me =). Enjoy!!
  • fluteypie
    fluteypie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer both almond and coconut to regular and soy milk nowadays. I never really was a huge regular milk drinker, and I'm glad I tried coconut on a whim one time because I love the taste. I also enjoy coconut water every now and then, I forget what the brand name is but one of the options is coconut water with pineapple, and it's weirdly delicious. I haven't looked too much into the benefits, but apparently it's really hydrating.
  • LeslieSJR
    LeslieSJR Posts: 64
    Options
    I have tried soy, hemp, almond, coconut, and some homemade nut milks (pumpkin seed, cashew, pecan). I prefer unsweetened almond milk over everything else. It tastes good in smoothies, with cereal, and I like it in savory recipes as well.
  • BravesMom99
    Options
    I think a light version of soy milk or a unsweetened soy milk is best, the other two have less calories but also have way less nutritional value as far as protein, fiber and vitamins go. And some almond milk and coconut milks have a lot of sugars. JMO