Any Homeschooling Parents?

Options

Replies

• Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have a theory that homeschooling can somewhat limit a childs ability to interact with others...?

But also think it's genius, not having to be taught useless crap that schools teach.

Considering some of the kids that are in public schools, I don't see how not interacting with them is a problem. That's more of an incentive than anything to homeschool.
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    I have a theory that homeschooling can somewhat limit a childs ability to interact with others...?

But also think it's genius, not having to be taught useless crap that schools teach.

Considering some of the kids that are in public schools, I don't see how not interacting with them is a problem. That's more of an incentive than anything to homeschool.

I will be homeschooling both my teen boys starting this September we are using an online accredited public school called K12 ...because it is a tax funded online school it is free . It is set up very much like an online college course. Certified teachers prepare the lesson plans and supervise the course work and tests. We have access to local Tudors and co- op activities with other homeschoolers in our area. Extra curricular actives are highly encouraged and supported . My boys can participate in local school sports and activities . My kids have hobbies and activities outside of school that provide them with social outlets. In the end I believe they will be happier healthier teens without having to deal with the social pressures highschool students are exposed to .
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't at all.... well ok, I shouldn't say at all but I think you would find that the kids who are socially inept from being homeschooled are made that way on purpse by their parents who over-shelter them and that is one of their major reasons for homeschooling. My kiddos have little friends, go to sunday school, the big one is involved in all sorts of nature classes, etc. He's super social.. like scarily "Please stop talking to strangers" social. :)
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options

It can, which is usually better. I was homeschooled.. But I was able to get into college at 14, which was free for dual-enrollment and I had the opportunity to interact with more mature people. I was a Girl Scout for 10 years and took karate for six. While i do agree there's definitely some weirdos out there, I feel that homeschooling benefitted my life greatly.

But it's not for everyone.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

I've homeschooled my 5 kids...4 have graduated from high school, my youngest will be a senior this year. In my experience it makes them more able to interact with people of all ages. Our public school system (from daycare on), puts kids in boxes with only people their own age, and they then do not want to associate with people who are younger.

My children help us with our business, they can answer the phone, and deal with "the public", answer questions, and assist people.

I watched my now son-in-law when he was 13 years old at a homeschool event when a young 2 year old child fell (not a sibling of his)...he was close so he picked him up comforted him and entertained him and sent him back to playing before his mom could even get there, how many 13 year old do you know that would do that?

these are just a couple of examples, I've seen many, many others..
  • LatinaButterfly
    LatinaButterfly Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    <
    Homeschooler... using the "Un-Schooling" Method. :)
  • aritchey1977
    aritchey1977 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am! I have been homeschooling for 9 years. I have an 8th grader and a 7th grader. One of the best choices we've ever made. I love being with my girls and watching them love to learn and grow up at their own pace.
  • nogara54321
    Options
    YAY! Me ! Homeschooling 3 in California.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I homeschooled my daughter for 3 years. Around here there are a lot of homeschool groups. You can get together for outings and classes that may be beyond your skill level. There are so many resources. The problem I had was that there isn't that much support for children with special needs. We finally found a school that was just for special needs kids so she wanted to try it. Unfortunately after her first year they closed down. So this year she transfered to a regular public school because she wanted to stay with some of her new friends and it is a nightmare. I can see us homeschooling again in the near future.
  • star31
    star31 Posts: 47
    Options
    I homeschool three of our four children (my youngest is only three) . I was also homeschooled second grade through twelfth grade. I consider it a priviledge to be able to educate my boys in the way that I see fit. I use have used Abeka for six years and love it!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've been homeschooling my children for 7 years now. We take an eclectic and laid-back approach, but 11-year-old consistently scores very well on the standardized tests--we have to take the same ones public-schooled kids take. The 8yo will start taking them this coming spring.
    My 11yo has also become self-directed and motivated with her learning. She is reading at an 11th grade level, so I don't have to "spoon feed" her. When she asks me questions, I dont answer them for her. I point her in the direction to find her own answers. She decides what she wants to learn, and she takes charge of seeking out learning experiences for things that interest her. And that, my friends, is the goal I had in mind when I decided to homeschool.
    My children often go visit the retired school teacher who lives across the street, and she is always complimenting me on their manners and how much they seem to know. She tells me that she looks forward to their visits. And she is not the only adult who has complimented them in this way.
    We get *more* socialization than public-schooled kids do, IMO. I don't count sitting in a class room with 30 other children of the same age for 7.5 hours a day, with a 30-minute lunch and a 15-minute recess as "socialization." We are usually done with our work by lunchtime. After that, our day is spent playing with friends, at the library, outdoors, and activities. We are involved in homeschool groups, martial arts, church groups, and basketball. We have more time to socialize than my older public-schooled daughter did, and our evenings are not as crazy with homework and projects. More family time.
    I'm typing this from my phone, so excuse any typos, and feel free to ask any questions.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    We homeschool. I have 3rd grade down to babies. I hope you have a wonderful year as you start out on this new phase in your life.
  • wvu2uall
    wvu2uall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    "I have a theory that homeschooling can somewhat limit a childs ability to interact with others...? "

Actually, this is a myth based on a misconception that being in public schools teaches social interaction.

I was homeschooled all the way through high-school. Then I went to college and obtained two undergraduate degrees at once, and a Master's degree two years after that...and every single one of my jobs has required me to not only interact with people of all age groups, but to teach them a great many things.

Oh, and technically it is a "hypothesis," not a "theory." :-)
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    We homeschooled our son almost all of last year (grade K) and were planning on doing it again this year but at the very last minute, he decided that he wanted to try 1st grade at a public school. Feel free to ask any questions you want as I'm happy to answer them.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I was homeschooled k-12, then went to a top university and got my degree in three years. I currently teach public high school. So I have seen the nitty-gritty of both sides. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me too :)

Regarding socialization... I was a gymnast for a few years, played soccer for 10 years growing up and played in college as well, and never understood why some people thought homeschooled students might be under-socialized, as none of the ones I knew were anything like that. Then I got to college and realized that a few bad apples gave some of us a bad name.

I'd never change my upbringing; it completely shaped the person I am today, who is a pretty damn awesome one, from what I hear. ;)
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I homeschooled our son from 5th through 12th grade. He went to public school K through 4th and if I had to do it over again I would never have put him into public school. He made straights A's in public school and that sounds great doesnt it. But when placed into Abeka 5th grade we had to do 4th grade math all summer just to catch him up because the public schools are so far behind it isnt even funny. Abeka is the best for elementary education that I have ever seen. They are learning in third grade some things that 5th grade public schoolers cant do. Plus we had a local homeschool group for "SOCIAL" needs. Meeting and playing with others once a month, and field trips once a month. After school activities, because normally half a day and they are through and can do to each others homes or to the park. The only things he missed out on was things I didnt want him involved with anyway. Plus 4-H activities, church activites. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would be glad to answer any questions at all.
  • homegrower
    Options
    Good morning! I am brand new here as of last night, and this is the first thread I've read and post I am going to make because I am a homeschooling mommy and love it! This is our second full year (we started in Kindergarten, but circumstances with our second child had us place our oldest child in the public school down the street - it was okay, but my heart was to homeschool, and when my husband volunteered in the class at the end of the year because I had just given birth to our third child, he came home and said, "We need to talk. She's not going back there. We are going to homeschool, and I will do whatever I need to do to help make that happen." I was so happy!) So, I schooled her last year (1st grade) and now this year (2nd grade), and now our second child who is three is doing light preschool work. We love homeschooling, and this will be the way we go for the years ahead! And I agree with all the homeschooling mommies who are posting about socialization and how homeschool days look and all of it. And it is wonderful to hear from those who have been homeschooled! Blessings to all of you on your journeys in homeschooling, in losing weight and getting healthy, and in life!
  • MHorvath85
    MHorvath85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey there - homeschooling family here! We are a combo unschooling/semi-structured play with a Kindergarten kiddo and another little one not quite walking stage. Our big thing for this year is reading!

Any unschooling / kindergarten-aged families?? Would love to bounce ideas around.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Me! Our oldest is K-aged and we're on the unschooling side.. or as I call it, structured play, lol. Reading is our big thing too. My guy also loves math and anything to do with maps/geography so we spend some time on that. We're using K to get into the habit of school work but seriously learning right now, imo, is silliness. They're such a little sponges, you don't have to press them that hard.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

^^ This. I remember homeschool kids starting high school and they just didn't have the social skills that other children had. You can almost always tell when a person was homeschooled. That said, however, I think public schools are limiting. The teachers have to teach for the entire class, which leaves some children behind and leaves others bored.

My only concern would be, am I limiting my child by homeschooling? I was great in some subjects, okay in others. Shouldn't my child have the ability to learn from someone who actually understands the subjects fully? Because I think that way, I think homeschool is fine for younger children (K-3), but after that, I think school is necessary. How can you teach your child AP Physics, if you didn't even take high school physics?