Anyone Else Having a Slow Weight Loss Journey Like Me?!

Options

Replies

• Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    in the same boat..but not getting discouraged and here is why.....6 years ago I dropped 40lbs in a matter of a few months (walked 3 miles every other day and basically starved myself)... Here now with that weight back. I could do it again but why? This time...I found this site and am making a LIFESTYLE CHANGE...not a bandaid on the problem AGAIN.

This time at age 50 I am on this site..making "choices" ...walking 3 miles every other day (at least)...just signed up for a zumba class and feeling better now than I EVER have. The weight is coming off slow and steady which I think is better for us :)
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs over 18 months. Feels pretty slow to me but I know it is a good loss and I've kept it off. I've been at the same weight 162 for about 2 months now but I still have lost inches. (now heading into size 8's).

Just keep on going! Experiment with all different food types and exercise routines!

You will do it!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I've been at it a year and a few weeks and I have lost 30 pounds. I have 60 more to lose. It's been slow but I know it's permanent. Before MFP, I would have gained at least 5 pounds in that year time frame. So I'll take it and be happy with it.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have avg only a .8lb loss per week. It was frustrating at first but then figured it took 6yrs to put on 50lbs so why should I expect to lose it in a few months.

Had I given up after a short time then I would still weight 162lbs. Now looking back it doesn't feel very long at all and the wait was worth it.
  • Fictionista
    Fictionista Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes! I know a lot of it is my own fault (I'm terrible at eating at night), but I play on a sports league and I try to exercise at least some every day. Calorie intake is around 1400-1500. And I'm yo-yoing like crazy! :angry:
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    a little over 2 months to lose 11 pounds so slow and steady does it. the good thing is that if i'm gaining its not more than 2 pounds and i eventually get it off back. dont punish yourself just keep working at it
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I have been within the same 3-5 lbs since JANUARY!!! I had one dip down 3 lbs lower but that lasted about a minute. I finally decided to do a metabolism reset over the summer and ate 2000 calories for 7 weeks. I only "gained" about 3 lbs from my most stable lowest weight but have gone up and down. (I've consistently hovered around 166 lbs, had 1 dip to 163 and then right back up and went between 166 and 169ish the whole time).

I've recently gone back to 1300 calories (so I can NET at least 1200 without "going over" is I'm at like 1220.....it's a psychological thing) to shock my system and in the last 2 days I've gained 2 lbs. I know it's a reaction and I'm committing myself to 2 months at this calorie level and eating back my exercise calories. I need to break this plateau and start working on the next 25 lbs I need to lose!!!
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Have you been taking your measurements? When you don't have a lot to lose it is so much harder to see the progress, how your clothes fit is another great way to see changes. What is your fitness routine like?

I have been eating pretty clean and working out consistantly for about a year, I haven't seen a whole lot of change in weight or measurements but my clothes are hanging nice, and I am getting a lot of people mentioning that I look really fit. I am now doing the Paleo thing, I have noticed that my stomach lines are forming! this was one of my goals, so that is nice.

I try to remember that I am doing this for health and longivity first and looks second this helps most of the time...lol
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for 9 months now. Lost about 36 lbs. Having a hard time at reaching my ultimate goal of losing another 10lbs.. Still so determined & not giving up even though it is slow going. I am more focused on how I look & feel than the scale moving. Doing more strength training.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Its those last 15 pounds man, time to switch to body fat %
  • kreat
    kreat Posts: 136
    Options
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I spent almost 3 months straight on here and lost I think 19 pounds. I worked my tail off. Then I fell off the wagon and now its 3 months later that I'm trying to get back on again. All that work that I did was lost. So here I am, to stay and fight for what I want. It took a while to lose that weight, and it will be like that again. So, Yes, its hard. Slow and steady wins the race. I will beat my goal. I will get to my goal weight. I don't care how long it will take. Hang in there. It will be worth it. I didn't lose a lot of weight, but you could tell in my pics from before that I was losing fat and my face was thinning down. So I know this program works. Just committ to it and to yourself for a leaner healthier you, and you will get there. :)
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    Progress is progress. It may be slower than you want but its still progress
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I right there with you! I've lost about 13 lbs so far and I started with MFP in January...which equals out to less that half a pound per week. For the most part, I try not to fret over it. Yes, I would love to lose it faster, but I'm teaching myself patience. I have a friend who started and lost 20lbs in about 3 months. It made me feel like a failure. I would occasionally fall of the wagon and have to catch up, but I never completely give up. Hey, they say the faster you lose it the more likely you are to gain it back (of course, that's not true for everyone). This is the first time I've lost weight without help (diet pills) and I'm keeping it off. Bottom line - it's not much over such a long period of time, but I'm proud of my 13 pounds and I know that number is going to keep climbing :smile:
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow loser as well, and right now I'm about where I was eight months ago. What I lost from Aug-Nov 2011 was regained through injury and chocolate binges, but I learned a lot from it. I hate that I lost that time, but at the same time, I have to remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. Progress is still progress.

Don't give up, and remember that this is about making realistic lifestyle changes that you can live with forever, not just a crash diet.
  • bbc_angie
    Options
    Progress is still progress!! What are you doing for fitness?
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight for a month or more, but I was losing inches. I think I was focusing too much on the scales. Make sure you measure your body and write down the numbers.
    Don't rely on the scales only.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    5 months for me and only 6lb gone!!! I have not always been quite as good as I should, but then that is only odd days, not weeks, and only a couple of hundred cals over at the most! Two holidays during the 5 months have not helped I expect but primarily you will never get those big results that some get if you only have a few pounds to lose in the first place which is where you are at. Did not check your age but that can be a factor too, teenagers/20s the weight drops off quicker than 40s. Just have fun and see it as a way of changing for life rather than a fixed term diet.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It's slow for me. I'm at the bottom end of the scale so the weight doesn't really come off. This is partly because I'm still trying to lift heavy and have been working more on the legs and shoulders so expect the weight to go up. "Oh no!" The good news is that looking in the mirror, I can see improvements every month.
  • asakeba
    asakeba Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So glad i found this. I'm so frustrated with how hard I have to work to get the weight off. I've been at the gym for 3 months and only lost 7lbs and even then, I've put 3 of those back on by having 3 bad days. I can't understand how the weight comes back so easily even with exercise!

It's like I can't have a single bad day, I have to be consistent all the time. So annoying!
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    actually that looks pretty normal, you lost a lot, your body adjusted so you plateaued and you lost some more. Keep pushing and don't give up. You'll get there